What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

Log on, have 3 PMs jump me all asking the same question about the same project.  My company sure is strange sometimes. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Sarex said:

At least they made you feel wanted.

That's like getting a participation trophy. :p

Public holiday today. Got four panicked e-mails about a "bug" in our system that we really need to fix. It's the sort of customer that refers to problems as challenges because problem has a negative connotation. The times, they are a-changing. Used to be that newspeak was something Orwell thought the authoritarians would force on people, not the people on themselves.

Well this particular challenge isn't a bug... everything's working as intended. If I ever find a way to fix operational handling issues through software you guys won't see me again, because then I'll build a castle on the moon and retire forever with the oodles of cash I'll be making from it. Heh.

Yeah. Not very likely, huh?

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Mobile phone 'net account access:

--worked while getting vaccinated (week ago, more or less)
--few days ago the signal seemed flaky while watching videos so I switched to home wi-fi
--now it won't connect to it at all and I have the little "no access" icon at the top  (only wi-fi works)
--restarted/rebooted, put it in airlplane, restarted, turned off airplane, etc.
--no I haven't dropped it (ever) or used it as a hammer

What a piece of fragile expensive junk.  Maybe the internal antenna got loose/broke.  I guess I have to visit a verizon place and see if they can do something.  Edit: or go back to not having one.  I think I can live without texting hubby that "I'm done, I'll stand at the corner" if he needs to pick me up or something.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lately I’ve been listening to very specific/ambient playlists (ie. you are a 19th century villain plotting revenge, It’s 1993 and you’re in a hotel pool, you're studying in a haunted library with ghosts, oldies playing in another room while it is raining outside). The last two have been helping me out when I’m having trouble going to sleep or if need to unwind.

22 hours ago, Sarex said:

At least they made you feel wanted.

True it gives me something to say in my performance reviews.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

True it gives me something to say in my performance reviews.

Malc I had a dream about you last night, we were both in a library and we knew each other very well. We were discussing camping ....I know.... I know... dreams often dont make sense and I normally forget my dreams but when I woke up this morning I did  remember our discussion. But you looked exactly like your profile picture  :shrugz:

SA is apparently about to enter its third wave and experts are saying its inevitable, so I wont  be spending  time indoors at any social event for the next few weeks to see what happens. I am planning on some good gaming this weekend and its rainy weather so its an excellent time to be inside 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My dream was more interesting, especially as I know how it came about.  Dreamed I was in some version of some city in Serbia going to a grocery store.  Except everyone was speaking Russian as the clerk was telling me something about store policy and my bags.   It was the conflux of the clerk at the grocery earlier telling me I have to put all 14 bottles of water on the conveyor, doing my Russian lessons and finally falling asleep watching Death of Yugoslavia on my phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

My dream was more interesting, especially as I know how it came about.  Dreamed I was in some version of some city in Serbia going to a grocery store.  Except everyone was speaking Russian as the clerk was telling me something about store policy and my bags.   It was the conflux of the clerk at the grocery earlier telling me I have to put all 14 bottles of water on the conveyor, doing my Russian lessons and finally falling asleep watching Death of Yugoslavia on my phone.

I  have read several interesting psychological  studies\opinions that dreaming and sleep is a critical  part of how our brains and mental thoughts are kept healthy. So basically these studies talk about how ailments like dementia and Alzheimer's can be more common without sleep. It doesnt apply all the time but with my dads condition this is also what his doctors told him ...so always try to get enough sleep 

This link discusses this type of  medical development 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319099#Less-REM-correlates-with-dementia-risk

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hubby's still obsessed with learning how to become a master blade sharpener (video watching all week, practice, nicked fingers, trying to create/attach the perfect-est sharpening stone holder/clamp to his worktable...) ... that sharpening sound is kind of hypnotic, until its punctuated with a curse or two.

Guess I'll make and test play some more 7 Days maps. 

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

25 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Hubby's still obsessed with learning how to become a master blade sharpener (video watching all week, practice, nicked fingers, trying to create/attach the perfect-est sharpening stone holder/clamp to his worktable...) ... that sharpening sound is kind of hypnotic, until its punctuated with a curse or two.

My grandfather always told me to not use sharpening stones attached to benches and such if one can avoid it, but hold the blade and stone at eye height at all times while sharpening.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

My grandfather always told me to not use sharpening stones attached to benches and such if one can avoid it, but hold the blade and stone at eye height at all times while sharpening.

@LadyCrimson You must trust Azdeus on these matters, Vikings know about sharp  weapons !!!!

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 2

John Milton 

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

So...your hubby is studying the blade, you say

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I asked hubby to clarify a bit and my mistake ... he said he "probably" wouldn't use it to hold sharpening stones, he just wanted a permanent clamp.  eg, he got long-term side-tracked and I misunderstood his verbal babblings. I guess it's one of those "wood working bench vises". Larger than the typical table-surface mounted clamps. Hence, undertable mount. I don't know why he's making 3000000 wood support pieces/making it seem so complicated but that's hubby.

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

So...your hubby is studying the blade, you say

I learned not to ask for reasons on anything he does long ago. I figure it's safer.  :shifty:

... hubby likes the journey more than the destination.  Thus he will spend weeks/months trying to be a master blade sharpener, get semi-decent at it, then will probably ... never sharpen a knife again.   Like how he had a ball making those 3D printers (vs. buying one to just plug in), but doesn't care about actually printing, so now they're sitting on a shelf somewhere. He got into computers for the same reason.  "How do PC's work? I must study electricity/physics/whatever and make my own! ... what? Actually using  computers? Pfft, boring, I'll be in my secret lab."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worked in the garden most of the day. Had the Rays vs Mets game on the radio. Sitting on the porch with Sunny drinking iced tea and enjoying the view. It’s been a good day.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

told the gardeners to take the photinias down to gutter height. am at a point in life where am content with the management end o' things.

had to keep the dogs in the house so they would not bother the gardeners. course the canines all went nuts each time they heard an unfamiliar noise. solution: showing the pups the smoked gouda we had. felt bad teasing 'em with the cheese, so they each received a tiny fragment. 

we all enjoyed cheese and not pruning photinias down to a reasonable 10'.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've been browsing through job postings (not for myself). I'm kind if used to HR departments putting up the most insane job postings, but... just came across a really ridiculous one, demanding perfect German and English at least on a CEFR B2 level.

So what's CEFR B2? Well:

• Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in their field of specialization.
  • Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
  • Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

Cambridge Assessment lists roughly five to six hundred hours of cumulative study required to reach B2 proficiency.

Guess what the job is?

Spoiler

It's a minimum wage 20h/week warehousing gig. The kind where you pick stuff from a shelf, then pack it in boxes and hand it over to an equally underpaid, unskilled parcel delivery wage slave that comes picking them up.

Yeah. GL, HF with that posting. You guys must be drowning in applications.

• Like 1

It seems I managed to survive THE GREAT FUEL SHORTAGE CRISIS OF 2021 and somehow the country didn't devolve into complete anarchy (yet). It's a good thing since I don't have the hair to pull off the Toecutter look.

425px-Toecutter_-_Edited.png

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Want to get in to that too, lots of dull knives in the house... What stones did he go for, what grade?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

52 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Want to get in to that too, lots of dull knives in the house... What stones did he go for, what grade?

Nothing special or big name brand, he's not the type for such, unless it became more than a temp. obsession/more than learning. Judging from the boxes he bought this set (maybe a few of the sets...): 
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Sharp-Diamond-Sharpening-Stone/dp/B01FPP46W2

As well as a Trend double-sided one (180/600) ... wouldn't surprise me if this one was recommended in some YT video, haha ... I also saw him using very fine grades of sheet sandpaper - I don't know why, probably he was just curious. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, majestic said:

I've been browsing through job postings (not for myself). I'm kind if used to HR departments putting up the most insane job postings, but... just came across a really ridiculous one, demanding perfect German and English at least on a CEFR B2 level.

So what's CEFR B2? Well:

• Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in their field of specialization.
  • Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
  • Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

Cambridge Assessment lists roughly five to six hundred hours of cumulative study required to reach B2 proficiency.

Guess what the job is?

Hide contents

It's a minimum wage 20h/week warehousing gig. The kind where you pick stuff from a shelf, then pack it in boxes and hand it over to an equally underpaid, unskilled parcel delivery wage slave that comes picking them up.

Yeah. GL, HF with that posting. You guys must be drowning in applications.

Heh, we have the same demands for emplyment where I am, while in reality the first language is Arabic. :p

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

told the gardeners to take the photinias down to gutter height. am at a point in life where am content with the management end o' things.

had to keep the dogs in the house so they would not bother the gardeners. course the canines all went nuts each time they heard an unfamiliar noise. solution: showing the pups the smoked gouda we had. felt bad teasing 'em with the cheese, so they each received a tiny fragment. 

we all enjoyed cheese and not pruning photinias down to a reasonable 10'.

HA! Good Fun!

Apparently you not suppose to feed dogs food like cheese or chocolate ?

At my dads house he has always only had 2 types of dogs, Jack Russells and Rhodesian Ridgebacks and the Jacks eat everything and anything ....despite being told we are not suppose to feed them snacks I can never say no to them because they so cute 

Here is a photo of 2 of the dogs in winter in their best spot to rest 

IMG-20210430-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2

John Milton 

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

@LadyCrimson You must trust Azdeus on these matters, Vikings know about sharp  weapons !!!!

Ask @kirottuabout sharp knives... 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Apparently you not suppose to feed dogs food like cheese or chocolate ?

Most dogs are lactose intolerant, giving them dairy products will result in the same symptoms people with actual lactose intolerance have, i.e. flatulence, diarrhea and in really bad cases vomiting. Giving your dog a cheesy treat or two will not be harmful (well, except for the dog farts you will have fun with afterwards).

Chocolate on the other hand contains theobromine (a stimulant found in cocoa beans) which dogs cannot metabolise. Depending on the amount of chocolate your dog ingests, symptoms can range from vomiting and diarrhea to restlessness and seizures - in extreme cases even death. So, don't give your dogs chocolate. Like, ever. And keep them the hell away from cocoa powder, that stuff has like twenty times as much theobromine as chocolate.

• Like 3

I love the look of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Ive never owned one but years ago when I lived in FL my neighbor had one. Beautiful friendly dog, but it would always approach me from behind. I asked him about it once, and I dont know if its true, but he said that the breed was originally bred to hunt lions so they instinctually did that. Always made me a little nervous when I would walk by their house to go to the pier. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1