What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

I'd be putting anything that does that in a VM so quick...

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

38 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'd be putting anything that does that in a VM so quick...

I can't even install software on our virtual desktop environment that I have to use when working remotely (actually, we can't even launch software that isn't whitelisted, let alone run an installer), and on the local desktop at work only if I go begging for the local administrator user password that is generated on the fly and usually expires even before the installer is done running. This is super fun when installing software that requires multiple reboots. Took me half a day to get Visual Studio set up, because that requires multiple reboots and logins with your Microsoft account which only work from the regular user, because the local administrator has no access to the internet without prior proxy configuration (and even then it is limited to a high security policy, try logging in with disabled JS).

If I would install any VM environment on my computer - assuming the team that hands out local administrator passwords on request approves the reason, at any rate - then I wouldn't really be able to get through network security without a "four eyes" approval, and while that would then work... in theory, assuming I would get the necessary firewall unlocks approved in the first place (which it would not, anyway, for policy reasons), that would still be an awful lot of work just to have a job running that auto-updates the information log instead of running blind. So, running blind it is from here on out.

Or I'll take the time to use the progress bar framework. Either way works for me. :p 

That sounds like I'm working at an intelligence service, but no, we just have the most paranoid security team ever.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I can't even install software on our virtual desktop environment that I have to use when working remotely (actually, we can't even launch software that isn't whitelisted, let alone run an installer), and on the local desktop at work only if I go begging for the local administrator user password that is generated on the fly and usually expires even before the installer is done running. This is super fun when installing software that requires multiple reboots. Took me half a day to get Visual Studio set up, because that requires multiple reboots and logins with your Microsoft account which only work from the regular user, because the local administrator has no access to the internet without prior proxy configuration (and even then it is limited to a high security policy, try logging in with disabled JS).

If I would install any VM environment on my computer - assuming the team that hands out local administrator passwords on request approves the reason, at any rate - then I wouldn't really be able to get through network security without a "four eyes" approval, and while that would then work... in theory, assuming I would get the necessary firewall unlocks approved in the first place (which it would not, anyway, for policy reasons), that would still be an awful lot of work just to have a job running that auto-updates the information log instead of running blind. So, running blind it is from here on out.

Or I'll take the time to use the progress bar framework. Either way works for me. :p 

That sounds like I'm working at an intelligence service, but no, we just have the most paranoid security team ever.

If it makes you feel any better it's the same in my case, plus no internet.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Same with me, why I fear my laptop crapping out, will be 2 or 3 days before I return to operational status in that case

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I recently noticed a few people giving me some kind of award icon on Steam forums, and when I looked those up, apparently I have over 52,000 "Steam Points" (yes I had no idea they existed, before), probably largely from purchasing my games. Quickly glancing around it would seem to allow me to "purchase" around 5200 smilie icons (if there are even that many available). I love smilies, but that would be a bit excessive...

I see no other use for them that I'd care about at all (fancy profile page stuff? avatar frames? pfft, don't care). 
I guess all of these Steam thingies are like a whole mini-game unto itself for some people.  Me, I don't even care about in-game achievements...

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Have a 5 day weekend coming up, probably will have to spend it working :lol:

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Win10 update: 

---Oh, ugh, Edge.  Command prompt, uninstall  Microsoft Edge.   Thank you. Side effect: if I accidentally click on one of  those "web help" links - and such is always an accident, I don't need their stupid interface weblinks - it just flashes white for a second and goes away.  Hahah. 
---New systray and taskbar shortcut for blutooth and ... Windows Viewer? ... delete/go away.
---Uncheck "let apps try to make text non-blurry" again.
---Recreate  Paint Shop Pro exe shortcut again because Win10 update kept thinking I needed a CD to run it from the old shortcut.  wtf? My fear is one day Win10 won't let PSP even run, it is a very old program.
---EVGA Precision suddenly seemed to think I only have two gpu fans, not three.  Reinstalled, fixed.
---so far it no longer remembers that I want a different background on Monitor 2 (the TV).  Goes back to Monitor 1 background if I turn TV off/on.
---everything else seems the same (settings/how I have it setup I mean) but could be some changes I haven't noticed.

At least it didn't go totally fubar.  I can now ignore "Check For Update" button again for another year or two.   :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Win10 update: 

---Oh, ugh, Edge.  Command prompt, uninstall  Microsoft Edge.   Thank you. Side effect: if I accidentally click on one of  those "web help" links - and such is always an accident, I don't need their stupid interface weblinks - it just flashes white for a second and goes away.  Hahah. 
---New systray and taskbar shortcut for blutooth and ... Windows Viewer? ... delete/go away.
---Uncheck "let apps try to make text non-blurry" again.
---Recreate  Paint Shop Pro exe shortcut again because Win10 update kept thinking I needed a CD to run it from the old shortcut.  wtf? My fear is one day Win10 won't let PSP even run, it is a very old program.
---EVGA Precision suddenly seemed to think I only have two gpu fans, not three.  Reinstalled, fixed.
---so far it no longer remembers that I want a different background on Monitor 2 (the TV).  Goes back to Monitor 1 background if I turn TV off/on.
---everything else seems the same (settings/how I have it setup I mean) but could be some changes I haven't noticed.

At least it didn't go totally fubar.  I can now ignore "Check For Update" button again for another year or two.   :p

What about the Windows Photo Viewer app? Or are you using Photos app?

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

What about the Windows Photo Viewer app? Or are you using Photos app?

Eww, Photos app.

WPV still works fine.  Altho I have no idea if one bought/installed Win10 current version from scratch if one could still make it appear. I'm guessing it would still be there if I installed from my 2019-ish USB win10 stick (I did not "upgrade" to Win10 from any other Win version and WPV was still in the files).  (late late edit: 2019, not 2018.  Me and dates can no longer be trusted, sigh))

Which reminds me, a forum mentioned an open source viewer called nomacs that I still need to check out. I think I'd still prefer WPV for quick looks but it seemed like decent option if it ever does stop working. Better than Irfan anyway, as a simple viewer+some mild other functions.

Edited by LadyCrimson

2 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Going to head for a long run today, likely half-marathon distance. Then hang with peeps around the firepit this evening. Of, and finish the most recent Planetary Report! https://www.planetary.org/planetary-report

we were one o' the three most hated people on our track team. surprising were not 'cause we were an a-hole. however, we were a football guy who ran track, and curiously we were extreme susceptible to shin splints. tried special shoes. used arcane applications o' heat, cold and compression. built up our core to ridiculous degree. 

*shrug*

track coach said we should lose weight, but we would need gain the pounds right back for summer football practice, so that were not gonna happen.

we were fast enough in 50 indoor, 100 and 200 that we were granted privileges. coach let us be on the team and functional contribute only for the meets. 'course while everybody else were on long team runs, Gromnir were doing sprints or weight training and when the team made it back to campus drenched in sweat and exhausted, we could see the murderdeathkill in their eyes. 

nowadays, we do bike rides five or six days a week in the am, but we only run when chased. we can respect folks who do distance runs, but anything over 400m is kinda outta the question for us. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Grommie,

I was never a track person - played rugby for about 15 years. The running comes from my time in the forces. Quick the smoking, kept the running ... well more like waddling ;)

• Like 2

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

5 minutes ago, Fionavar said:

Grommie,

well more like waddling ;)

we played blind side flanker... and prop. at Cal we added enough weight to play fullback (sorta) on the football team, and then we quit. were easier to quit the team than the extra 25-30lbs. that said, as a sometimes prop, we know what waddling looks like. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My hats off to anybody who can keep up a steady exercise regimen. What  Hurlshot does is just amazing. Not just for his age but any age.

When I was in the service I was in excellent physical condition. But that kind of comes along with being in the service. Particularly the branch I was in. But I still exercise regularly until I hit my 40s. Then that kind of tapered off. Then I was in a car accident a little over 10 years ago and that was the end of that. Nowadays if you see me running you better turn and run too because there’s probably something large, furry, and predatory chasing me. 

my weight is still good though. I gave up booze off while back. And other than garden vegetables I eat very little in the way of carbs. I stay away from the white carbs like potatoes and white bread.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think genetics - and being in pretty good dancing/cycling/hiking type shape for most of my first few decades - is the only reason I never inflated to 200 pounds in my later years.  For my size I can eat huge amounts before I feel even remotely "too full" - I think my stomach is the size of a large burlap sack or something. Also, I lose weight pretty fast if I make any effort at all.

Shoulda been a competitive eater.  

• Haha 4

Running is strange. As a runner, I feel like over the course of any month I spend two weeks feeling out of shape, 2 weeks feeling injured, and a few days feeling amazing and fast. But those few days are really good!

My wife and I spent the weekend in San Francisco for our 18th anniversary. I had the best spaghetti and meatballs ever in North Beach. Sunday morning I woke up and ran to the Golden Gate Bridge, and it was beautiful. There were a ton of people out running, cycling, and swimming in the bay.

I came into running pretty late. I didn't start until I was about 35. In High School, it was all hockey, and if I wanted to get some cardio, I would grab roller blades and skate. Rollerblading was such a big deal in the 90's! It is odd how completely that died out. When I reached 35, I was slowing down and had a fair amount of extra beer weight, so I needed something to get moving again. My kids were no longer a good excuse to be out of shape, because they were old enough to survive for a little bit of time on their own. I bought a cheap pair of running shoes and started doing a mile a day. Within the first year, a good chunk of the weight had fallen off, and I started feeling like I was getting faster. By the time I hit 40 I felt way better than I had at 30. 

We will see how I feel when I hit 50. :p 

• Like 7

I woke up at six this morning and it was a nicely pleasant temperature outside.  Which means it'll be way too warm by mid-afternoon. 

I keep looking into low/no carb/sugar snack foods (high protein is fine, high fat is not) because while I haven't been doing it much lately, I am still a severe munchie (vs. meal) person.  The past couple months I keep wanting this or that and it's wearing on my brain willpower....Keto diet is low carb concept but I'm not sure I'd care for dried cheddar cheese balls ("Moon Cheese"). Also, they're still high in fat/cholesterol, like cheese. Seems like you may as well just eat ... fresh cheese.  So I ordered jerky again instead. 

Gotta keep looking...something besides dried meat or seedy crackers would be nice, is all ...

Yelling at my screen, like this:

He's calmy asking if the receptionist is trying to make fun of him here (y'all won't understand the language, but that's not required).

Background: Support ticket wasting an hour of my time because - and get that - when someone from accounting doesn't confirm a manual internal money transfer from one account to the other (in the form of "paying" a bill between branches), there's never any money transferred.

Hey, don't look at me, I'm as surprised as you are. Must be some error with the pricing module. Right?

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Last day off, I rather enjoy this not having to work thing. Sadly means back to work tomorrow and the pile of crap no one undoubtedly has tried to help me out with.

• Sad 3

You never know, someone could have burned down the building...Unless you are working from home, then I don't know...Maybe burn down your home?

EAWsg6Q.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You never know, someone could have burned down the building...Unless you are working from home, then I don't know...Maybe burn down your home?

EAWsg6Q.jpeg

Fire is always the answer

• Hmmm 1

I had the most incredible and beautiful experience this morning on my walk, their was low cloud when  I started at 7 am and it was dark and gloomy. I live in the city in the shadow of Table Mountain and the area is very much impacted by clouds and erratic weather patterns that I have never  experienced before living in SA

Anyway I always walk uphill to the bottom of Table Mountain and then come back and this morning my walk took me through the cloud cover and their was sun and I had this amazing view of the whole of Cpt city covered by this lake of clouds. I dont take my phone with me but the photos below basically are the same sight I get to see everyday. The first photo is what I would normally see and the second is what I witnessed today 🌄

cape town normal.jpg

cape town clouds.jpg

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 4

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela