What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

19 hours ago, Gorth said:

Look on the bright side. Even if you are the unlucky 10% one, being vaccinated means its very unlikely to kill you or give life long aftereffects. Your family might appreciate it ;)

am not quite sure how he managed the 80% resistance number. am sure WHO and the cdc would love to hear 'bout his natural resistance to a novel corona virus. fascinating.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7402559/

is just one example, but after a relative short period o' time, a majority o' passengers on a cruise ship tested positive for covid-19, and this were in spite o' an active effort to quarantine the sick.

not resistance, but there is a whole lotta folks who is asymptomatic in spite o' their covid infection. 'course covid is actual most contagious early following infection and before one would begin displaying symptoms. got a whole lotta folks spreading covid-19 w/o any obvious signs o' being infected.

have seen a whole lotta guesses 'bout relative transmissibility o' covid and just one part o' the difficulty in coming up with specific numbers is that the variants is undermining any meaningful effort to come up with meaningful results for such measures. uk variant has been estimated as being 45% more contagious than the original covid-19 strain, and 'ccording to a reuters article we saw early april 2021 (am admitting we didn't check sources) the uk variant is now the most common strain in the us. uk variant is s'posed as approximate as contagious as the spanish flu were, and a bit more contagious than seasonal flu... which is kinda meaningless as the basic reproduction number for the spanish flu and seasonal flu is ranges, and a relative considerable range at that depending on a whole host o' variables.

covid-19 is highly contagious, but 'bout 80% o' people is asymptomatic. not same as resistant. not at all the same. get a vaccine which is 90% effective (the 90% numbers were generated before the uk and sa variants became widespread, so am not sure how much stock to put in such) also has added benefit as the likelihood o' needing hospitalization if one is infected also drops dramatic for those vaccinated with all o' the major vaccines.

am thinking there is a whole lotta folks innocent conflating numbers. very understandable ignorance is undermining some o' the vaccination efforts. kinda a shame.

that said, childhood traumas is highly resistant to numbers. we once sat on a bench w/o realizing there were a hornet's nests suspended on the underside. got stung dozens o' times including up nose and in ear and other sensitive places. nowadays, many decades removed, anytime we see a black and yellow flying insect, we wanna kill it. not any kinda exaggeration. we have a genuine urge to swat, smash, and/or crush any bee, or hornet which crosses our path. gorth aversion to medical injections is different, but we sympathize.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

am not quite sure how he managed the 80% resistance number. am sure WHO and the cdc would love to hear 'bout his natural resistance to a novel corona virus. fascinating.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7402559/

He said he'd be getting his second shot in two weeks, so his resistance would go from 80% to 90%, strongly implying he already had his first. I don't know exactly if that's how the second changes the average resistance numbers, but he was not talking about his first shot or any sort of "natural resistance".

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know exactly if that's how the second changes the average resistance numbers,

it doesn't. only other explanation is natural resistance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

32 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

it doesn't. only other explanation is natural resistance.

HA! Good Fun!

Completely random page with sources I didn't bother to read: https://www.healthline.com/health/why-two-doses-of-covid-vaccine#immunity-after-first-dose

"What level of immunity do you have after the first vaccine?

Even though the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines require two doses, you do get some immunity after you receive the first dose. Let’s examine this in a little more detail below.

Pfizer-BioNTech

Researchers working on the clinical trials for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine observed a vaccine effectiveness of 52 percent between the time of the first and second doses, which is a 21-day period.

However, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine may be more effective after the first dose than was previously thought. This information comes from a separate analysis from scientists in the United Kingdom.

These scientists wanted to look at vaccine effectiveness 15 days or more after people had received the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. They found that vaccine effectiveness was actually closer to 89 to 91 percent 15 days after the first dose.

Moderna

In a reportTrusted Source submitted to the FDA, researchers discussed vaccine effectiveness in clinical trial participants who’d only gotten one dose of the vaccine.

A vaccine effectiveness of 50.8 percent was found up to 14 days after the first dose. Vaccine effectiveness was 92.1 percent beyond the first 14 days."

Assuming it's either Pfizer/Moderna for him, :shrugz:.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Completely random page with sources I didn't bother to read: https://www.healthline.com/health/why-two-doses-of-covid-vaccine#immunity-after-first-dose

the new cdc study were unknown to us.

interesting.

however, assuming you weren't cherry picking purposeful:

“The second dose of mRNA vaccines induces a level of virus neutralizing antibodies about 10-fold greater than the first dose,” said Dr. Paul Offit, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisory panel. “Also, the second dose induces cellular immunity, which predicts not only longer protection, but better protection against variant strains.”

"It’s also not clear how long first-dose protection lasts without the boost from a second dose, Dr. Fauci said during a White House press briefing in April."

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I wasn't - just thought I had heard before that the first dose did give *something*, just didn't know exactly what or whether Gfted did either or what any of the numbers might be. I think I can speak for all of us that have already had the second shot and had any kind of immune reaction that our immune systems would most certainly agree that the second shot is important, :p.

Had a long day today. I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on my 15 page paper. It has been a real pain especially trying to organize everything. It is going to be stack of bricks off my shoulders once I'm all done with it. I logged on and posted some stuff on a forum I haven't visited in a while. Hope everyone here has a fantastic day and treat yourself and others well!

• Like 2

Rebuilt my computer, drove my mother to the store, celebrated her birthday with some steak. More computer stuff. Uhh. Yeah, not much really. Jus' chillin' really.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Made/ate lunch.  Played mobile slots.  Scratched my arse.  Pestered hubby in the backyard.  Browsed the 'net.  Made/ate dinner.  Pestered hubby in the garage (outside was too windy apparently).  Listened to music.  Scratched my arse.  Now it's either time to watch a little TV, play more slots, or play Dungeon Keeper.  I'll toss a coin.

...pretty much like every other day, in other words.

...I wish we had a cat cafe like they have in places like Japan, near here.  I think there's one in San Fran, but I'm not driving up there.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yesterday I read a book in it’s entirety. In one day. Today I think I’ll do something productive instead 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Republicans look to gain another House seat in Texas

Actually it would be more accurate to say they are looking to hold onto a house seat. Much ado is being made over this being a bellwether  for 2022. I think far too much stock is put in these off year special  elections. November 2022 is a lifetime away politically speaking. A thousand  things can happen between now and then that would affect what happens on that day.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Know what I miss about this thing?

smithcoronatypewriter.jpg

...the manual carriage return.  When you were typing frantically at high speed for hours and slapping that lever like a madperson...and that sound of it moving, with the little ding (that told you to return). It was so much more satisfying then pressing Enter. And of course, the clacky sound of the keys striking.

...I don't miss changing the ink ribbons, or one day trying "erasable" typewriter paper and finding out it smudged like mad and going back to liquid paper fluid or a whole new sheet/re-typing.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Winter is coming to CPT and its getting light much later so I have worked out its best to start my walk at 7 am and by 7:10 or so its fine as the sun rises and I get to experience the beauty of early morning activity

Last week I came across a dead Tammy Cat on the side of the road which had been hit by a car, a few days after that I saw cat owners had put up " Missing Cat "  posters with a photo of their missing cat which looked exactly like the dead cat I had seen in the same part of my walk. So I took down the owners cell and phoned them to let them know what I had seen

Anyway it turns out it wasnt their cat and their cat had come back but it was the cat of an elderly cat owner who now had closure and also nice to know other cat lovers had phoned them to let them know they had also possibly seen their cat on the side of the road🐱

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Had some challah bread.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Know what I miss about this thing?

smithcoronatypewriter.jpg

...the manual carriage return.  When you were typing frantically at high speed for hours and slapping that lever like a madperson...and that sound of it moving, with the little ding (that told you to return). It was so much more satisfying then pressing Enter. And of course, the clacky sound of the keys striking.

...I don't miss changing the ink ribbons, or one day trying "erasable" typewriter paper and finding out it smudged like mad and going back to liquid paper fluid or a whole new sheet/re-typing.

LC confirmed hipster. :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

LC confirmed hipster. :shifty:

It was my mothers. :P  I had it in a closet for ages but I think last time we moved over a decade ago I finally tossed it.  I see ppl selling similar for $200-$300 these days.  Drat.  :lol:

In other daily news:  I was poked by Pfizer. It was just a quickie tho ... Pfizer got no time for foreplay.

The worst thing about leaving the house is having to get dressed in real clothes.  So uncomfy. I wonder if anyone would care if next time I just stay in my kitty night-shirt and fuzzy slippers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

am gonna admit, there has been some upside to the pandemic. pre pandemic, we never shopped at soopermarkets. however, the whole "ecart" option we have from the local belair/raleys has us doing a considerable amount o' our grocery purchases w/o ever needing to get out o' our car. no dealing with rude fellow customers. don't need chat with the checkout people and make obligatory small talk. didn't brush our teeth and we stink from our morning bike ride? no worries.  our pandemic suit is a hoodie, baggie knee length shorts and some kinda slip-on footwear. slight variations almost every single day. however, have not descended to the point am wearing socks and sandals. that is a basement we refuse to enter even during the daily horror movie which has been the covid-pandemic.

given our newfound enjoyment o' unapologetic sloth, is quite possible much o' our pandemic lifestyle (at least insofar as grocery shopping is concerned) will continue even after any serious covid dangers has past. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Nudist beaches* are cool.  No one cared about what clothes, style, hair, anything, say about someone.  You just waved and kept on walkin' down the sand.
Outside of weather or environment protection, clothes are a pure social construct anyway.

*...waits for Keyrock to make another hipster comment  :shifty:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Haha 1

Lost my mouse just now. Not mouse in a pet sense, but input device. The scroll wheel, which I lived without happily before it was invented but now feels like I cannot do without, has struggled to perform its duty properly for a while. First scrolling up only worked half of the them. Then a third, then nothing. Yet, I still could live with that. Ten minutes ago scrolling down stopped working too, and that was the final nail in the coffin. It's officially dead now, after over a decade of good service.

I ordered a replacement when the issues began, one that has the exact same dimensions, but higher accuracy. Turns out there are three factors that I haven't considered. First of all, the clicking sound of a new mouse is intense. Ugh. It will take months until the buttons are whittled down enough to stop sounding like a Cherry MX, much like it will take a while until it properly glides over my desk in the way the old one did, and the worst for last: The mouse has only half the weight of the old one.

It's extremely uncomfortable.

To give you a timeframe: The one before the one that just died still had a PS/2 connector (that one I fixed several times by using super glue to prop up a very worn out left mouse button), and the one before that still had a RS232 connector.

:(

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Typewriters, PS/2 ports....lot of hipsters here. 😛  Well of course I say this as I refill my fountain pen.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am gonna admit, there has been some upside to the pandemic. pre pandemic, we never shopped at soopermarkets. however, the whole "ecart" option we have from the local belair/raleys has us doing a considerable amount o' our grocery purchases w/o ever needing to get out o' our car. no dealing with rude fellow customers. don't need chat with the checkout people and make obligatory small talk. didn't brush our teeth and we stink from our morning bike ride? no worries.  our pandemic suit is a hoodie, baggie knee length shorts and some kinda slip-on footwear. slight variations almost every single day. however, have not descended to the point am wearing socks and sandals. that is a basement we refuse to enter even during the daily horror movie which has been the covid-pandemic.

given our newfound enjoyment o' unapologetic sloth, is quite possible much o' our pandemic lifestyle (at least insofar as grocery shopping is concerned) will continue even after any serious covid dangers has past. 

HA! Good Fun!

I am the opposite, I enjoy malls and supermarkets but not when they very busy like at months end

I enjoy looking for ingredients in different shops and interacting with people including cashiers which is one of the many reasons I dislike this whole pandemic culture we have had to adopt to survive like wearing masks which are incredibly anti-social but necessary 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've probably said it before but times like these I'm happy I'm an extreme non-social introvert.  😛:lol:

My current order of pounds of kimchi arrived.  So I am now going to make some beef/veggies with a little bit of rice, and then eat it with an excessive mound of kimchi next to it. After that I will probably go into a food coma and take a nap. Altho I slept a lot yesterday so maybe not...

... after 1st vax shot, my arm/neck muscles felt a little sore a few hours later. Then I grew really sleepy and napped - woke up - an hour later was really sleepy again and fell asleep for 12 hours. Woke up.  My arm /neck is still sore.  Otherwise it's fine.  Cross fingers 2nd shot when it comes won't be too much worse than that.  Oh and hubby got his first shot too.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I'm thinking of moving my office from one of the spare bedrooms on the second floor to an empty storage room in the basement. I find the bedroom to be too bright because it has ginormous windows on the north and east sides and I'm a creature of the dark. The problem is that there is no electrical outlet in that room so today I'm getting quotes for having one installed. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

^  I feel like making a basement dweller joke, but I shall refrain.

...If we had a basement I'd prefer to be in it because it would likely be a lot cooler in summer.

11 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

^  I feel like making a basement dweller joke, but I shall refrain.

Feel free 😛

Got 2 quotes so far and they're higher than I was expecting. Still got a few more to go but I'm starting to doubt "the great basement migration" will become a reality this week.

Free games updated 3/4/21