What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

Previous thread:

Last few posts- 

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Shady, we discussed this and you agreed. You dont  need an electrician as you can rely on the numerous opinions of people on this forum to help you fix all your electrical problems ...dont waste money when it can be spent on things like food and alcohol  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

Nothing like a bit of DIY work 😇

Electrocuted GIFs | Tenor

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Eh, 120V wont kill you (unless youre standing in water). Feels like a tickle/vibration in your hand. :lol:

Remember, always check to make sure a  breaker didn't trip before calling an electrician,  I hear they silently judge you if that turns out to be the issue...🤔

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I had some water heater issues last month. The pilot light kept going out. I could relight it, and it wasn't a gas issue, so I called the plumber who installed it. The unit was only about 18 months old, so it was still under warranty. Turns out the control panel had some bad fuses or something, but the replacement parts were back ordered, so he ended up replacing the entire unit. 

It was good for a few weeks, and then yesterday it was completely off. Like, no blinking light saying there was an issue. So I'm like, where is the power to this thing? Is it a breaker switch issue? WTH? I called the plumber again (after a cold shower) and he said it is not wired into anything. He ran me through a couple steps and I was able to relight it. But now I'm like, how does this thing get power? Mysteries of home maintenance.  

Yesterday I did nothing. Today I did nothing. Tomorrow I'll .... probably do nothing.

Also, I need this t-shirt:

cantadul1t.jpg

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm currently doing my best thousand-yard stare impression while deadlines both important and inconsequential waft by. So much to do, and all of it mind numbing busy work.

Oh, right, and that special very high priority project where someone told me last Friday that they'll start with a new customer this week and need an import set up. Ideally on Monday. Sure, would you like some fries with that?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I bought hundreds of pieces of eating plasticware and stopped washing any dishes - because doing such daily was causing too much joint wear and tear and pain.  And a week later, the 'trigger' aspect to my right thumb, at least, seems to be slowly improving instead of worsening. Dunno if it'll ever feel as flexible/not stiff, but it's nice to hope I won't be Velcro-Hand forever.  I guess washing dishes is now evil.  Well, it always was, but now even more so. 

Btw, velcro wrapped around most of your fingers is murder on bed blankets and robes.  Just saying.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Btw, velcro wrapped around most of your fingers is murder on bed blankets and robes.  Just saying.

I'm not velcro-hand (well, not all the time anyways), but I am pretty permanently velcro-wrist, and it can be super annoying. Real bad for sweatshirts/hoodies, too.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's Spring, the giant jumping spiders are out in force again, ridding the yard of all the boring usual house spiders.  I love how aware they are that I'm there, holding a phone 2" from their face and they only move their head a little to stare you down, while still eating, being all like "yeah, so, you want a piece of me? I'm busy at the moment, come back later."

jumpspidereating1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Feeling a little shaken right now. In the past two weeks we've lost as many colleagues at work. One to COVID-19, and one to an aortic dissection. Both in their mid 30ies and otherwise perfectly healthy, and some of the nicest and most competent colleagues I've had the pleasure of working with.

• Sad 5

I am old-ish, lazy, and fed up with all this daily meal prep/cooking all the time (which I've never been a person to do in the first place) and the "gotta cook that before it spoils" considerations and I swear there are almost zero low-carb/low crappy ingrediant frozen dinners in grocery stores that I could use for, say, half my meals.  It's all 50carbs, 45 carbs, 70 carbs because they all use rice, pasta, potatoes etc. as 80% of the meal as bulk fillers. 

Contemplating trying one of those pre-made delivery meal sites.  BistroMD, maybe, they supposedly have diabetic considered meals. I dunno tho...such services can vary so wildly in experience depending on area and personal preferences/needs.  Arrgh.  Anyone want to be my personal chef.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Sad 2

My situation is a little different than yours, but I kind of know how you feel - really miss being able to eat quick and easy stuff. WHY CAN'T I HAVE A POPTART IF I WANT TO HAVE A POPTART, LIFE? Let me eat my garbage! Sadly, everything pre-made is primarily wheat (which in your case, means carbs) or sugar, if not both.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Have to attend a 1 hour meeting to tell us to work harder. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

26 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

My situation is a little different than yours, but I kind of know how you feel - really miss being able to eat quick and easy stuff. WHY CAN'T I HAVE A POPTART IF I WANT TO HAVE A POPTART, LIFE? Let me eat my garbage! Sadly, everything pre-made is primarily wheat (which in your case, means carbs) or sugar, if not both.

I feel you. I can't eat anything with soy or nuts anymore. 

I do try and find decent replacements for this stuff. Sunbutter cups from Trader Joes is a pretty good replacement for peanut butter cups, and they have a decent toaster pastry (although it still has a ton of sugar.)

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/table-mountain-fire-residents-evacuated-112654316.html

I have had the most torrid few days since Sunday when arsonists set fire to bush in Table Mountain and started a massive and sweeping fire , I didnt sleep on Sunday night as I was helping transport family friends from the UCT, University of Cape Town, to my sisters place as the university was evacuated due to the fire and the damage it caused

Where I live is near Table Mountain but my flat wasn't threatened but their was this constant smell of burning bush for the last 48 hours. Anyway the fires have been mostly contained and thankfully no one was killed but the main library at UCT was burned to the ground and much of the books and irreplaceable study material has been destroyed :(

• Sad 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

Sunbutter cups from Trader Joes

*looks*  ... 19 carbs/11g sugar for 2 pieces.  Nope.  And by nope I mean that if I had a bag, it would absolutely not be eaten one piece per day.  So, nope.   LOL.  Per usual it's not that I can't eat any "junk" or plate of rice now and then etc. I just can't make it a daily meal/snack type of thing. Anyway, I don't actually miss most "junk" food too much, too often.  I just hate cooking/spending 1-4 hours a day in the kitchen or whatever.  The constant routine (and dishes...). Also, eating the same things day in, day out for months on end because that's the easiest to cook/deal with.

Snack wise I did find this sugarless (Splenda) hard candy (brand: GoLightly) that tastes like really weak hot-chocolate.  It is not calorie-free and it still has "sugar alcohols" and I think for some ppl even one may still spike their blood sugar some, but for me it does nothing. I can suck on 3-8 pieces a day or even in a row and it bothers my numbers not at all.  Not exciting, but keeps snacking cravings at bay at least. So I bought 3 pounds a while back (it lasts months). 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson

7 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I am old-ish, lazy, and fed up with all this daily meal prep/cooking all the time (which I've never been a person to do in the first place) and the "gotta cook that before it spoils" considerations and I swear there are almost zero low-carb/low crappy ingrediant frozen dinners in grocery stores that I could use for, say, half my meals.  It's all 50carbs, 45 carbs, 70 carbs because they all use rice, pasta, potatoes etc. as 80% of the meal as bulk fillers. 

Contemplating trying one of those pre-made delivery meal sites.  BistroMD, maybe, they supposedly have diabetic considered meals. I dunno tho...such services can vary so wildly in experience depending on area and personal preferences/needs.  Arrgh.  Anyone want to be my personal chef.  😛

After the past few weeks of work , I would take you up on that offer and even learn to cook 😂

A recycling company is building a new facility just behind my workplace, and as it's been dry for the past week or so the air quality is awful. My throat is dry and sore, my eyes feel like someones put a belt sander to them, I'm covered in dust and since it's been really warm today, it's sweat bound aswell my nose is gunked up with black snot.

But I did reach a new milestone in my car today at 4/20!

timing.thumb.jpg.34cf4e9825cfd8d5716377062defa085.jpg

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

Th Führer would be proud of you. :yes:

Well ofcourse, the car has a brown coat of paint. 😅

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm going to do something that I find rather distasteful, but honestly, I see no other way around that. I have had it with this particular user and the entire branch he's working at for a long while now.

I've just received an e-mail demanding billing support (not asking for, demanding) because there are apparently one hundred unrated orders and "ain't nobody got time to check that", therefore we should do their work for them. For fun I've done a cursory glance at a solid sample size and noticed that some of them were confirmed as zero (i.e. someone manually checked the order and confirmed it to be unbillable for whatever reason) and the vast majority were orders from last month that are still open or became billable in April.

This is going to be fun. I'm generally really accomodating and often don't bill special support requests to the branches even though we technically should, because I don't see the point of shuffling money around between branches. In this case however, I'll make an exception. I'm taking bets on how quickly he'll find someone who "got" time for that. :p

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

Got to skip the meeting about working harder due to...having work to do. Spent an hour and change with a delightful Scot who swore like it was punctuation "****, man, I dunno why on earth this ****ing process is complaining about ****ing column width. Hope you lot check this package and go "****ING EUREKA", ****ing Tone is riding my ****ing ass about this issue"

:lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got my second shot yesterday. Felt fine all day, though I did get very suddenly fatigued towards the end of the day, prompting me to go to bed immediately. Woke up, feel like I was run over by a train, everything hurts and I can barely see straight. I check and I've got a fever of 101. Eh, yeah, I guess that'll do that. Quit working so hard, immune system - this is literally all your doing! Guess that'll probably be good for antibodies, but it sure feels like death right now.

• Gasp! 3
  • Sad 4

That was pretty much my experience after my 2nd shot, except my fever was just 100° F and that my symptoms didn't kick in overnight, but after I'd been at work for a few hours after waking up feeling fine...

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finally just took an ibuprofen after a miserable morning. My understanding was that you're supposed to wait 24 hours unless you're having a truly terrible reaction, so that your immune system can do its job and make those antibodies. Well, that's just how long I waited, because my head was about to explode.

At least I haven't thrown up or anything - just a headache and nerve pain everywhere, mostly.

Edited by Bartimaeus