Kind Wayfarer Flames of Devotion heal not working every time?

Hi,

I've started a dual-wielding herald and noticed the heal from FoD didn't proc from every attack. 

First I thought it was just nerfed to not work twice with a dual-wield full attack, but now I'm using a pike and a warbow and both weapons proc it just about 50% of the time.

Is this a bug? Am I missing something?

Edited by QuentinW

4 hours ago, QuentinW said:

Am I missing something?

Indeed, you are most likely missing something: your FoD attacks. ;)

If you are in the early game then misses are common. Unfortunately you have to hit with the FoD attack rolls in order to trigger the healing. If you miss: no proc. 😢

You can use the Ring of Focused Flame to increase your accuracy by 10 for your FoD attacks - which will help. Also Gauntlets of Greater Reliability and other stuff that prevents misses will help.

You will see less and less misses the more you level up. 

If you want to hit more reliably in the early game you can use a single one handed weapon, but I don't think this will increase your proc chance compared to dual wielding where you'll have two chances of hitting. What might help is to use accurate weapons (dagger, rapier, spear, club) and/or some with accuracy modals (e.g. rapier) until you hit more reliably.

Another "trick" is to use Sun & Moon in your dual wielding setup: it has two flail heads and thus has two chances to not miss with that weapon. It will only proc White Flames once though - even if both flail heads connect. Still an advantage. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank you, but I'm sure that's not what's happening.

I spent almost two hours staring at the combat log. It's not just misses and grazes, the heal fires up unreliably even when I hit or crit (actually it is, but only the white flame animation, no healing).

When dual wielding (i think) I get at least one heal, sometimes from the main hand attack, sometimes from the offhand. Only time I sometimes don't get a heal is when the main hand kills the target.

I was sure that it was just nerfed because dual-wielding was too OP. Seemed reasonable. I wanted to use a bow as the second weapon set anyway so I started a new herald. This time with twohanded weapons. First I didn't pay attention, thinking it was just grazing hits when I didn't get the healing, but at the digsite I started checking the log. Pike, bow, pollaxe, all unreliable, even when hitting or critting.

I'm on the xbox pass version of the game. Don't know if that's relevant.

Edited by QuentinW

Hm okay - I never saw that on the PC or Linux version.

For me White Flames always triggered unless I

a) missed or

b) everybody on range was at full health already. Then the White Flames animation will show but no healing will take place (because not needed). 

If your observations are not caused by one  of those two reasons it might be a bug. Maybe it's specific to the console version you are playing - but I can't say for sure.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

(silly off-topic ramblings)

Now I'm back into paralysis about which class to play. I was so set on kind wayfarer/troubadour :) 

Chanter is kind of unique to PoE so I'd like to play that, but I'd also like to have a set of active melee focused abilities to spam while waiting for phrases. Chanter/Paladin was looking really good. 
I also like goldpact knights for their armor bonus, but losing deflection to being passionate is really off-putting. Kind Wayfarer is much beter fit for my roleplay.

I'm not sure how to build an effective skald and the summons are looking cool so I mostly gave up on that. Now I'm looking at War Caller, maybe devoted to a greatsword, but it's definitively not as clean as a paladin. Constant prebuffing with Disciplined Barrage and Vigorous Defense might get annoying.

I'm not sure if there are other good options I'm not seeing. Ranger/Chanter seem to need a different set of attributes, maybe Howler?

Edited by QuentinW

One player at the Project Eternity discord confirmed that the regular PC version doesn't have this issue. Even dual wielding is proccing the heal twice.

Now I'm worried what else might be bugged in the xbox pass version :(

Edited by QuentinW