Hello guys, the idea from today (I swear this will be the last one) is a wow DK like.

My ideas for classes are:

Melee part :

Paladin (Bleak Walkers would be the obvious choice, but Steel Garrote looks interesting, healing on attack)

Warrior (Devoted for Two Handed Greataxes)

Spells:

Chanter - because of Debuffs and Summons

Wizard - evil spells

Druid - Frost Spells

Priest - ???

I still didn’t decided if I go real time or turn based combat

Edited by freddfranca

Frankly,  I personally dislike Fighter/Paladin combinations. Sure, they can tank for days, but...

well, being an incarnation of a wall, an immovable object is just not exciting for me.

Damage output will be pathetic compared to what one of those classes could bring to the table, when multiclassed with a rogue or a monk - while still being more then durable enough to survive anything the game throws at you.

Or the utility and versatility of a chanter multiclass. Or a Battlemage.

Heck, even a Brute (Fighter/Barbarian) is more interesting and synergistic.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with @Haplok. I'd say personally Bloodmage/Devoted with the 2H Axe Amra is your best bet for balance between theme and OP-ness.

Couple highlights:

Early on you should use your fists (monastic unarmed training) which also benefit from Devoted. Then Amra is fantastic, you will spam Clear Out as primary attack. You should also use Concelhaut Draining Touch for flavor. Even better, apparently if you don't learn it, cast it from a grimoire then switch to another grimoire, it will go on for the whole duration of combat. That plus the occasional Death Ring, Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst and other similar spells = great offense.

Defensively you will use all the buffs of the wizard, your passive healing. Unbending Trunk + Wall of Draining at high level = near God Mode. Why not throw in Refreshing Defenses as well.

You will use Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage and Enervating Terror among other key Wizard debuffs, which will fit very well thematically and will shut down enemies that are not immune to RES afflictions.

You may equip Blackened Plate + Helm for fitting style (ok with Armored Grace and high DEX and stacking AR) or Devil of Caroc + Helm of Falcon for optimal gear + more shiny style :) .

You are half Bloodmage so you can still do whatever you want in the game if needed. Grimoire wise I'm not too sure, you have a lot of great options: Ninagauth Teachings and Martial Masteries might be the best ones but not sure with this specific build.

EDIT: my advice is only sound for RtwP, I haven't played Turn-based.

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haplok said:

Frankly,  I personally dislike Fighter/Paladin combinations. 

I may sounded a bit confused, but I never planned to use fighter/paladin. My idea is one of the melee class and one caster, thanks for your answer

1 hour ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Agree with @Haplok. I'd say

EDIT: my advice is only sound for RtwP, I haven't played Turn-based.

I started a turn based game, and left in the first cave. It’s so much boring you spend 10 minutes in a fight agains simple mobs. 

I will take a look on this build you told me, thank you

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, freddfranca said:

I will take a look on this build you told me, thank you

Sounds good. Of note, this build will work very well with either of the 2H Axes that you can find in the game, which I understand is what you want to focus on for thematic fit. I prefer Amra over Oathbreaker's End because of its enchantments and especially because it is available super early.

That being said, if you have a bit more flex on your weapon of choice and if you want an optimal build, you might consider Devoted to Pike and use Citzal's Spirit Lance, which in combination with Clear Out is... one of the strongest melee combos you can possibly create in the game. Just sayin' :) 

Yeah, both Clear Out and Citzal's Lance are cool... but personally I wouldn't want to rely on them TOO much.

Unless I'm mistaken, Clear Out goes against Fortitude and that is often a very high enemy defense.

Lance is Piercing, which can also be a disadvantage sometimes. Plus summoning it takes action time.

Its cool to use sometimes... but personally I wouldn't Devote my whole build to such a temporary summoned weapon.

Frankly, I liked the Amra idea more :)

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Haplok said:

Its cool to use sometimes... but personally I wouldn't Devote my whole build to such a temporary summoned weapon

Agree. I like to have my weapon in my hand all the time. May be a cool spell, but nothing is better than a big ****ing axe

• Like 2

Spirit Lance' initial hit does pierce damage, the AoE does crush damage. 

I assume "DK" means Death Knight. 

Imo such a Death Knight - or in case of the Eora universa called Death Guard -  has to have some "death" magic as his disposal. Or stuff that could be interpreted as such. Four classes come to mind and I will list them here with the bilites I find most fitting (I'll only go up tp Power Level 7 because I assume multiclass is more interesting than single class) :

• Chanter:
    • Invocations:
      • If their Bones --> Ancient Brittle Bones
      • But Reny Daret's Ghost --> His Hunt for Revenge, Eternal
      • White Worms --> Their Putrid Stench Wafts Across
      • Reny Daret's Ghost Spake --> Ben Fidel's Neck Was Exposed
      • Their Companion Braved the Horde Alone
      • Called to His Bidding, the Ancient Instruments of Death
      • Boil Their Flesh From Skin to Bone
    • Phrases:
      • Come, Come Soft Winds of Death
      • The Long Night's Drink
      • Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr
      • Old Siec Would Not Rest 'til His Hunger Was Sated
      • Many Lives Pass By
  • Druid:
    • Touch of Rot
    • Taste of the Hunt
    • Autum's Decay
    • Firebrand
    • Spreading Plague
    • Nature's Terror
    • Infestation of Maggots
    • Rot Skulls
    • Rusted Armor
  • Priest of Berath:
    • Touch of Rot
    • Barbs of Condemnation
    • Spiritual Great Sword
    • Divine Mark
    • Spreading Plague
    • Desponent Blows
    • Divine Terror
    • Barring Beath's Door
    • Rot Skulls
    • Rusted Armor
  • Wizard:
    • Chillfog
    • Ghost Blades
    • Thrust of Tattered Veils
    • Fetit Caress
    • Corrosive Siphon
    • Necrotic Lance
    • Repulsive Visage
    • Draining Touch
    • Enervating Terror
    • Bitter Mooring
    • Death Ray (unique grimoire)
    • Shadowflame (unique grimoire)
    • Spirit Lance
    • Death Ring
    • Killing Bolt
    • Draconic Fury (unique grimoire)

Others may have different preferences. In PoE 1 they throw a lot of Fireballs around... :)

You can then combine that with any martial (sub)class that makes sense thematically - like Helwalker, Streetfighter, Bleak Walker, Steel Garrote, Furyshaper, Berserker, Devoted and so on.

Theoretically any class can become a death guard. Your will just has to be strng enough so your soul refuses to pass through the wheel and clings to your body after dying - in game we've seen paladins (Lucia Rivan - Darcozzi, Raedric VII - unknown), priests (Yseyr the Berathian) and Fanatic (Babrarian/Paladin - Death Guard Fanatic in the Forgotten Catacombs).

So I guess Paladin is a good choice thematically.

Mechanically I think Arcane Knight (Paladin/Wizard) is a good combo. I really like Steel Garrote + Bloodmage. Paladin/Chanter is also great. Anything that casts + Helwalker is very good, too. Barbarian + caster is also neat. Streetfighter + Priest of Berath is a powerful combo due to Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time as well.  

Lots of options. I personally would settle for a certain "look and feel" I want to achieve and then chose the classes and abilites accordingly.

Some items that might have the right "vibes":

• Blackened Plate + helmet
  • Casita Samelia's Legacy
  • Rekvu's Fractured Casque
  • Horns of the Aurochs
  • St. Drogga's Skull
  • Sanguine Great Sword
  • Engoliero do Espirs
  • Voidwheel
  • Grave Calling
  • Skullcrusher
  • Magistrate's Cudgel
  • Ragged Cloak
  • Marux Amanth
  • Saru-Sichr
  • Watcher's Blade
  • Thaos' Headdress
  • Whitewitch Mask

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

10 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Spirit Lance' initial hit does pierce damage, the AoE does crush damage. 

I assume "DK" means Death Knight. 

Imo such a Death Knight - or in case of the Eora universa called Death Guard -  has to have some "death" magic as his disposal. Or stuff that could be interpreted as such. Four classes come to mind and I will list them here with the bilites I find most fitting (I'll only go up tp Power Level 7 because I assume multiclass is more interesting than single class) :

• Chanter:
    • Invocations:
    • Phrases:
      • The Long Night's Drink
      • Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr
      • Many Lives Pass By
  • Druid:
    • Touch of Rot
    • Taste of the Hunt
    • Autum's Decay
    • Firebrand
    • Spreading Plague
    • Nature's Terror
    • Infestation of Maggots
    • Rot Skulls
    • Rusted Armor
  • Priest of Berath:
    • Touch of Rot
    • Barbs of Condemnation
    • Spiritual Great Sword
    • Divine Mark
    • Spreading Plague
    • Desponent Blows
    • Divine Terror
    • Barring Beath's Door
    • Rot Skulls
    • Rusted Armor
  • Wizard:
    • Chillfog
    • Ghost Blades
    • Thrust of Tattered Veils
    • Fetit Caress
    • Corrosive Siphon
    • Necrotic Lance
    • Repulsive Visage
    • Draining Touch
    • Enervating Terror
    • Bitter Mooring
    • Death Ray (unique grimoire)
    • Shadowflame (unique grimoire)
    • Spirit Lance
    • Death Ring
    • Killing Bolt
    • Draconic Fury (unique grimoire)

Others may have different preferences. In PoE 1 they throw a lot of Fireballs around... :)

You can then combine that with any martial (sub)class that makes sense thematically - like Helwalker, Streetfighter, Bleak Walker, Steel Garrote, Furyshaper, Berserker, Devoted and so on.

Theoretically any class can become a death guard. Your will just has to be strng enough so your soul refuses to pass through the wheel and clings to your body after dying - in game we've seen paladins (Lucia Rivan - Darcozzi, Raedric VII - unknown), priests (Yseyr the Berathian) and Fanatic (Babrarian/Paladin - Death Guard Fanatic in the Forgotten Catacombs).

So I guess Paladin is a good choice thematically.

Mechanically I think Arcane Knight (Paladin/Wizard) is a good combo. I really like Steel Garrote + Bloodmage. Paladin/Chanter is also great. Anything that casts + Helwalker is very good, too. Barbarian + caster is also neat. Streetfighter + Priest of Berath is a powerful combo due to Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time as well.  

Lots of options. I personally would settle for a certain "look and feel" I want to achieve and then chose the classes and abilites accordingly.

Some items that might have the right "vibes":

• Blackened Plate + helmet
  • Casita Samelia's Legacy
  • Rekvu's Fractured Casque
  • Horns of the Aurochs
  • St. Drogga's Skull
  • Sanguine Great Sword
  • Engoliero do Espirs
  • Voidwheel
  • Grave Calling
  • Skullcrusher
  • Magistrate's Cudgel
  • Ragged Cloak
  • Marux Amanth
  • Saru-Sichr
  • Watcher's Blade
  • Thaos' Headdress
  • Whitewitch Mask

Yes, it’s really Death Knight. I am thinking in something more WoW vibe. A big armored guy with a big weapon who can cast diseases and summon undeads. 

I was decided to go battlemage, but after think a lot, I guess chanter fits better my idea. AoE debuffs, summons and a little healing. 
I just don’t know from my melee part what would be better. If the Steel Garrote heal works with the chanters debuffs I think this will be the one. 

17 minutes ago, freddfranca said:

A big armored guy with a big weapon who can cast diseases and summon undeads. 

Sounds like Paladin/Chanter.

My pick would be Steel Garrote/Troubadour or Bleak Walker/Troubadour.

Edited by Boeroer

23 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Sounds like Paladin/Chanter.

My pick would be Steel Garrote/Troubadour or Bleak Walker/Troubadour.

I think Steel Garrote/Troubadour will be the one.

I am still learning about builds, so what would be the best atributes in this case? MIG , INT and CON?

I wouldn't drop Resolve as Paladin either. Sacred Immolation can be very potent if your RES is high (= the self damage part is a lot shorter). 

MIG I wouldn't raise too high, some CON is good to have. All in all I would go for a rel. balanced stat distribution I think.

Would be cool to get some Berath's Blessing points and get the Infamous Captain perk as well as bonus stats. 

You can unlock all Berath Blessing points like so (if you wish):

i might be late to the party here, but have you considered a fighter (or devoted)/priest of berath? I ran this specific build and it was quite fun.

if you RP the berath part right, you'll have a spiritual weapon that is a legendary greatsword with a +31% corrode lash, which is immensely hard to beat with non-spiritual weapons (because lashes are multiplicative). Maybe voidwheel has the best chance of being competitive, because it too come with a lash and can proc a pretty powerful effect.

You also get spells that you can use to be more "DK"-like (i'm unfamiliar with the wow version having stopped at burning crusade, but thinking of the WC3 version). The fighter part helps with action economy (mob stance, armored grace) and spell casting (tactical barrage). You can summon a helper friend at high levels and spread disease (spreading plague) and you have a backup disease weapon if you can't reach the enemy (a tight doorway or something) via rot skulls.

in endgame i equipped blackened plate with the AR and health sapping auras, had both a pet that reduced armor penalty, and with armored grace, making me both very tanky and also relatively speedy.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thelee said:

i might be late to the party here, but have you considered a fighter (or devoted)/priest of berath? I ran this specific build and it was quite fun.

if you RP the berath part right, you'll have a spiritual weapon that is a legendary greatsword with a +31% corrode lash, which is immensely hard to beat with non-spiritual weapons (because lashes are multiplicative). Maybe voidwheel has the best chance of being competitive, because it too come with a lash and can proc a pretty powerful effect.

You also get spells that you can use to be more "DK"-like (i'm unfamiliar with the wow version having stopped at burning crusade, but thinking of the WC3 version). The fighter part helps with action economy (mob stance, armored grace) and spell casting (tactical barrage). You can summon a helper friend at high levels and spread disease (spreading plague) and you have a backup disease weapon if you can't reach the enemy (a tight doorway or something) via rot skulls.

in endgame i equipped blackened plate with the AR and health sapping auras, had both a pet that reduced armor penalty, and with armored grace, making me both very tanky and also relatively speedy.

No, I didn’t considered this yet. I am unfamiliar with the priests spells, I will take a look later when I come home. Thanks for the suggestion too

As far as thematic weapons go, Engoliero de Espirs Estoc is hard to beat: on-kill summons a cone of ghastly blades that can be enchanted to leech as much life as they damage to enemies (that proc regardless of source of killing damage - also off themselves); also has an attribute debuff (soul hunger) that turns into a buff after kill (sated soul hunger). Plus its gotten trough an epic questline that involves... 2 Deathguards... and fighting at least one of them and his crew (where you also have an opportunity to win his ghost galleon).

Too bad its rather late game (though personally I tend to rush this questline). But before that the Eager Blade estoc is very nice also and that can be gotten as early, as Amra.

And sure, its probably best in the hands of a rogue, due to all the sneak attack bonuses the blade (and the ghost blades it conjures!) would get. Also a great weapon for offensive casters, due to the Ghost Blades passive nature - they appear also when you kill with spells.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

The only thing that's not quite "Death Guardish" about it is that it's an estoc. The attack animation is the thrust and only the thrust. It's not really "badass" looking compared to a great sword if you know what I mean. ;)

*poke* *poke* *BAMGHOSTBLADES* :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Hmmm 1

If one wants to aquire Engoliero do Espirs earlier:

It's possible to export a character who already has the estoc. Then import that character as a hired adventurer in your new game. It will be quite expensive, so it's not really blatant cheating - you can't afford it without Berath's Blessing money. You cannot use console commands to get the weapon for the "mule" char because he will be marked as cheated as well.

It's a good way to play a character idea without waiting too long for it to become available.

Players can share such exported characters.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Boeroer said:
  • Chanter:
    • Invocations:
    • Phrases:
      • The Long Night's Drink
      • Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr
      • Many Lives Pass By

Thoughts here from someone quite familiar with WoW death knights.

Invocations are all good, I just want to add that ice and cold are part of the DK theme too, so add:

Seven Nights She Waited While the White Winds Wept -> Her Tears Fell Like Rain
So Singt thy Biting Winds o' Eld Nary (this is essentially Chill Streak from WoW)

For phrases, fire isn't much associated, so Aefyllath isn't much of a fit. However, DKs can become [temporarily] immune to a lot of crowd control types so any of the resistance chants will work (One Dozen Stood Against the Power of the Saint; Seven Men, onto the Deck They Went; They Shielded Their Eyes 'Gainst the Fampyr's Gaze). This said, they're not really much for buffing the party, so offensive chants are a better fit.

Also @freddfranca: Paladin is a great choice, you get to enjoy the same [lack of] mobility as in WoW ;) don't you dare be tempted to go with fighter, they have charge.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Thanks for all coments. I decided to go with the Garrote/Troubadour, he fits best what I am wanting. For the race, I am going Pale Elf for the look. 

One more question, this will be my first complete run (I hope), is a bad idea play in PotD? I was playing in Veteran, and there are some real hard fights early game...

I would stick to Veteran for the first playthrough. Running a first playthough on PotD is totally doable but you have to really like trial & error and ideally have already a strong experience of Unity/PoE combat.

That said, PotD in Deadfire is noticeably easier than PotD in the first PoE!

Edited by Not So Clever Hound

7 hours ago, freddfranca said:

One more question, this will be my first complete run (I hope), is a bad idea play in PotD? I was playing in Veteran, and there are some real hard fights early game...

if you thought there were some hard fights in early veteran, PotD would take you for a wild ride. Forum consensus is that PotD gorecci street and digsite are hardest fights in the game. I would only recommend taking PotD if you are comfortable relaoding a lot and bashing your head against a metaphorical wall. Even with huuuuge hours under my belt, I still occasionally have fights in PotD that are brutal, exhausting, and still result in failure after like 20 minutes of tedious pausing/unpausing. For some, the fun is in the challenge it can offer, and for veterans of the genre it might be the only difficulty that provides a challenge, but it's not for everyone.

Edited by thelee

23 minutes ago, thelee said:

if you thought there were some hard fights in early veteran, PotD would take you for a wild ride. Forum consensus is that PotD gorecci street and digsite are hardest fights in the game. I would only recommend taking PotD if you are comfortable relaoding a lot and bashing your head against a metaphorical wall. Even with huuuuge hours under my belt, I still occasionally have fights in PotD that are brutal, exhausting, and still result in failure after like 20 minutes of tedious pausing/unpausing. For some, the fun is in the challenge it can offer, and for veterans of the genre it might be the only difficulty that provides a challenge, but it's not for everyone.

Well, I am not so hardcore like this. I like a challenge but not so much. I will try a run on Veteran, and than I think about PotD. Thanks for the feedback guys