Hello guys, I am here again. I decided give a go with the turn based mode, I am having serious issues with the real time, or I keep pausing the game too much or I leave all to AI, and this isn’t what I wanted.

I was playing with a Ascetic Helwalker/Shifter. Now I want to go with something more tank, but at the same time I want to do good damage, and have much things to do.

I am considering Battlemage, or anything with a Priest or Paladin, but any ideas are welcome. 

Guess a battlemage could work.

But in Turn Based mode I was never really satisfied with the impact of a single/dual blow... even a good one.

So I'd suggest a retaliation tank, who will counter opponents who try to attack him - and that way can attack multiple times off-round.

Perhaps a Swashbuckler - Trickster / Fighter. Maybe Unbroken. Get Overbearing Guard for extra punishing Disengagement attacks.

Aim for Gipon Prudensco armor. Before that Nomad's Brigandine and Casita Samelia Breastplates are good.

Use Magran's Favor Axe (with Bleeding Cuts modal!) with Tuotilo's Palm Shield (with the retaliation enchant AND the modal that gives +15 Accuracy after enemy miss).

You'll both be highly durable and do excellent damage as far as tanks in Turn Based go.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Haplok said:

Perhaps a Swashbuckler - Trickster / Fighter. Maybe Unbroken. Get Overbearing Guard for extra punishing Disengagement attacks.

Doubly good idea as in turn based mode escape is instant move(i.t does not waste turn) and +deflection bonus lasts for entire turn! THat means swashbuckler essentially start with +20 deflection.

True. Even better, Escape is +50 Deflection...

I had Eder built like this in Turn Based mode and he was a real beast - multiple Riposte attacks per round - some of them reaching almost 200 damage (plus DOTs) with Magran's Favor and Tuotilo's procs. A PC with these subclasses and more optimized stats will actually be way better!

Edited by Haplok

Escape's deflection buff has a very short duration. But as a Rogue/Wizard you can prolong it with Wall of Draining which makes it very good since it has no drawbacks (like Arcane Veil, Wizard's Double or Mirrored Images). Also Rogues have Adept Evasion which can be very useful for tanking spells, too - especially when wearing a (large) shield.

Also Rogue/Wizard can stack the Escape deflection buff with Llengrath's Safeguard (+20 to all defenses) which is great. A human Streetfighter/Wizard who uses Wall of Draining and becomes bloodied and then triggers Lllengrath's Safeguard and "escapes" to a position where he's flanked will have great offensive power AND superb deflection and AR. Needs a bit planning - but it's like a tactical puzzle and it's fun because it can be very rewarding. If you pick WotEP + Offensive Parry you can even stack that with Riposte. Or use Spirit Lance or shield + Draining Touch or even club+modal and Draining Touch. Lots of options.

Just don't let Arcane Dampener hit you. ;)  

So tanking as Rogue/Wizard is possible (also as Rogue/Fighter or Rogue/Paladin) - especially if you pick the Trickster subclass for Fighter or Paladin multiclasses obviously.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm sure its possible. Particularly with the Free Action buffs in Turn Based mode.

However I prefer my tanks a little bit more... substantial and less reliant on buffs. Lots of buffing and once you get hit by that Arcane Damper, your fragile as a kitten and can no longer tank.

Also the action economy on non-Free Action buffs isn't great (like Llengrath's Safeguard or Spirit Lance). You waste a full round to buff defenses or summon a weapon... if you do that, 2 rounds into the fight, the fight is often already decided. WotEP is simply weak vs single targets.

Paladin / Rogue certainly works, but due to limited Engagement slots, is a bit worse in the actual tanking role IMO. Worse accuracy and less Crit conversion on normal/riposte attacks. Less Interrupt potential (Mule Kick, Clear Out). Less disengagement attacks too.

Edited by Haplok

16 hours ago, freddfranca said:

I just know one thing, I hate this game. It gives me so much options that In don’t know what I want. I am with 5 characters, looking to the creation screen thinking about what I want to do now 🙄🙄

Stop overthinking it. Whatever you pick, it probably won't be all that interesting until you've leveled up a bit. So don't expect your characters to be awesome right out of the gate.

Rather than deciding on everything before the game has even begun, I think its more satisfying to let characters progress naturally. First, through roleplaying, "What makes sense for this character?" Asking this will make your characters feel real after a while. And also tactics, "We're really struggling against these enemies/types of attacks, what will help the whole party be stronger?" You can discover a lot this way.

Maybe you'll have more fun if you take that approach?

For beginners I would recommend class combos that are frontloaded with good abilities. That's usually subclasses.

That way you'll experience quick success and don't have to wait so long for your character to actually work well. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...