Who did I know that had been forgotten by the world?

In the Forgotten Sanctum, while talking with Fyonlecg, after he asks if I know who he is, I have an option which is flagged as a result of a choice I made in the first game to say "I knew someone once who'd been forgotten by the world." I imported my save from the previous game, but I don't know who that's referring to. This is driving me crazy.  I couldn't sleep last night because I couldn't stop thinking about it.  It does feel familiar, but I just can't quite remember. Does anyone know who that is referring to?

Forgotten.jpg

14 minutes ago, NotDumbEnough said:

Nah it's Grieving Mother. If you bring Ydwin, she'll also comment that she's heard of powerful ciphers having such abilities.

You lost me there -- perhaps I'm just a bit thick now. What abilities? Abilities to make the world forget them? (The last two words in what you wrote.)

Grieving Mother has the ability to become "unseen" by other people. Not really invisible - but nobody except the Watcher really pays much attention to her and she's forgotten easily.  

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Grieving Mother has the ability to become "unseen" by other people. Not really invisible - but nobody except the Watcher really pays much attention to her and she's forgotten easily.  

Are you sure that's who it's referring to though?  She isn't forgotten, she just used her cipher powers to go unnoticed.  I was thinking it was something in WM2 at the temple of Ondra where you take Maneha.  For some reason I was thinking there was someone there that was forgotten to the world.

Also, I would like to think that the person "forgotten by the world" should be someone rather more important, shall we say, than Grieving Mother. Nearly everyone who has ever lived (in fantasy or real life) is forgotten by the world, so to say that would imply that the person used to be someone notable at some point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Durance isn't "forgotten". It's just that the gods don't visually see people like normal mortals do, they identify them based on their souls. Durance had his soul damaged in the process of making the bomb, so he's invisible to the gods.

Which is a good thing, because he really can't keep his mouth shut.

20201226105943_1.thumb.jpg.2ed7af9d43a738e03709235ea9cdc07f.jpg

It's been a while since I played through with Durance, but I thought what the Godhammer did to his soul also affected how mortals see him, which is why nobody seems to talk about how one of the Dozen is still alive. You'd otherwise expect the Dozens, at least, to worship the ground he walks on, even with the personality attached. 

Of course, from what I understand, there's some cut content between him and the Grieving Mother that might be the real explanation for what's going on there. I do think it probably refers to one or the other, though. Iovara lived thousands of years ago and her story was suppressed by the Leaden Key, which isn't really comparable to erasing a famous and important person who's still alive, like Fyonlecg.