Would you like to see a saberwhip in SW Knights 2?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a saberwhip in SW Knights 2?

• yes
    • no

I really liked the series.

It was what NJO wanted to be in a sense. It got away from the standard Star Wars characters, and focused on a new crew of heroes. It linked the two generations with characters like Wedge (whom everyone loves). The first few books seemed a little technical and focused on battles, but as the books go along the characters get fleshed out more and more.

And bad things certainly happen. Fighter pilots don't have a lengthy life-expectency.

I read the whole X-Wing series and enjoyed it.

Corran had a spin-off hardcover book called I, Jedi that was pretty sad however.

I, Jedi sad? Blasphemy! :)

I personally loved I, Jedi, which is a bit interesting, since I didn't like Jedi Academy Trilogy. And yes, the X-Wing series is very good.

Kevin J. Anderson picked up on Exar Kun from the comics. In fact, Kevin picked up a lot from the comics, and injected it into his Jedi Academy trilogy, being a hack.

And after establishing this wonderful villian in Exar Kun, he dispatches the villian like nothing. This villian was the most powerful Force User to ever live. It's Force Ghost possessed Luke like it was nothing. And twelve weak students meditate for a moment, and Exar Kun is taken care of.

Weak sauce.

I was VERY disappointed with the Jedi Academy Trilogy for a few reasons.

1-The way they portrayed Luke. He seemed VERY weak and not very strong in the Force. It took 12 students, who, by all accounts, werent very powerful, to save him.

2-As Enderwiggin stated, the Exar Kun thing. 12 students with very little training were able to defeat him. It might have been more plausible if it was Kyp Durron (since they made him out to be very strong in the Force) turned back to the LS and helped Luke defeat Exar Kun. Somehow I can picture the Hero of the Rebellion and a child prodigy being able to defeat Kun more than I can picture 12 weak students doing it.

3-The Sun Crusher. The absolute most rediculous idea ever.

A few more minor details also bugged me. But those were the major ones.

As for the X-Wing series, I read some of the books, but I just couldn't get in to them, mainly because I'm a big Jedi fan. And except for Corran Horn (who wasn't even that accomplished a Jedi at the time), the X-Wing series lacked Jedi and Force useage.

On the official Star Wars forum, the publishers announced another 9 book series post NJO. I'm hoping that they move on to a new set of characters and just let Luke, Leia and Han go in to retirement. I mean, geeze, how many times do these people have to save the galaxy. Give them a break already and let them live in peace.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I pretend the ysalamiri never existed.

If the Force is created by all living things, how can these guys be alive and not creating Force, but repelling it? It's not feasible under the Star Wars ruleset.

Ysalamiri: Kryptonite for Jedi.

...and maybe we should call this thread, "general discussion about Star Wars and stuff, with references to a lightsaber whip".

yea, too bad i cant go back and change it. Ask if the one of the mod.'s can?

I havent had the chance to read all of the older books, but...i have read most all of the Jedi Apprentice Books. They are fairly good because you get to hear the story from obi's point of view about the adventures of him and qui-gon. even tho i think the books is aimed toward lower level readers, it is still pretty good. My favorite out of the series is The Captive Temple.

Guest Michael Chu
I pretend the ysalamiri never existed.

If the Force is created by all living things, how can these guys be alive and not creating Force, but repelling it? It's not feasible under the Star Wars ruleset.

Ysalamiri: Kryptonite for Jedi.

...and maybe we should call this thread, "general discussion about Star Wars and stuff, with references to a lightsaber whip".

Yeah, but those ysalamiri are nothing compared to the voxyn! Mmm... tasty.

yea, too bad i cant go back and change it. Ask if the one of the mod.'s can?

I havent had the chance to read all of the older books, but...i have read most all of the Jedi Apprentice Books. They are fairly good because you get to hear the story from obi's point of view about the adventures of him and qui-gon. even tho i think the books is aimed toward lower level readers, it is still pretty good. My favorite out of the series is The Captive Temple.

Yeah, you WOULD think that huh Leroy? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I did vote no you charming devil, it just wasn't adequate enough to express my revulsion of this horrible jar-jar-like idea.

1 You'd take your head off, or at least put your eye out kid.

2 The blade of a lightsaber is weightless energy it wouldn't behave anything like a whip

3 The starwars universe wouldn't even have the technology to make something like this.

4 Lightsabers burn energy pretty fast(if I remember correctly) the constant contact with the ground where it would have to be unless the jedi turned the saberwhip of at the end of every attack or swung it around her head all day(see point #1) would drain it bettery pretty fast. All but the most impatient sith apprentice could just wait her out.

5 Whip against sword or even blaster would be insanely ineffective because of the speed diffrence between them.

Good enough doll?

1. Why would a Jedi Master trained in the use of lightwhips take his own head off? You could say the same thing about bladestaff fighters, chain+sickle fighters and ninchaku fighters, but they exist. They're very difficult weapons, but there they are.

2. Thanks for the technical advice, geek.

3. Why not?

4. Ever seen Johnny Mnemonic? It had a retracting light-whip. I don't see why it'd have to dangle all over the place. It isn't as if Jedis have their lightsabers drawn all the time, either. Your argument that 'unless the Jedi turned the saberwhip off at the end of every attack or swung it around her head all day" is laughable. Don't be moronic.

5. Huh? Whips are faster than swords, I just hope you know that. What do you think whips were invented for in the first place? The Indiana Jones movie? Whips aren't gigantic axes, you know. They're fast, dextrous weapons that are meant to whip weapons out of people's hands, hence the term 'whip'.

By the way, the snide personality you seem to bestow your posts isn't at all befitting of your character, given the fact that you're nothing more than an immature geek with very little of intellectual value to offer any of us.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Weiser, you should stick to posting crappy fan-art for KOTOR and writing erotic fan fiction about Bastila. It's what you do best. Just leave the design contributions to everybody else because it's clearly evident that you know nothing about good design.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I felt compelled to respond to this thread since it basically sums up a lot of the things which are, effectively, killing off the Star Wars mythos for a lot of the older generation.

Take a look at the Star Wars Databank and considder the sheer rediculousness of this idea.

To carry a lightsaber is an example of incredible skill and confidence, dexterity and attunement to the Force.

It is something you obtain at the end of your training, something you create to show your affinity with the force and becomes as much a part of you as your hand. It is considdered an extension of the Jedi's body, not merely a weapon. Quite why there were so many in the original Kotor is kinda fuzzy. Perhaps there were so many Jedi of full training that turned to the dark side, which begs the question why didn't the Jedi Council combat the Sith with their own numerous Jedi.

Once unleashed, the power channels through a positively charged continuous energy lens at the center of the handle. The beam then arcs circumferentially back to a negatively charged high energy flux aperture. A superconductor transfers the power from the flux aperture to the power cell. As a result, a lightsaber only expends power when its blade cuts through something. So efficient is the blade, that it does not radiate heat unless it comes into contact with something.

Lightsabers have no weight on the blade which would make them useless for a normal person using the weapon vs a trained Jedi. Jedi use their force powers to apply momentum to their blade which would otherwise be weightless coupled with glancing blows and parrying.

To a Jedi, a lightsaber is not just a weapon. It is a means of concentrating attention and becoming attuned with the Force.

Basically my argument is a resounding no to any form of "gimmick" lightsaber. It's just completely unwarrented and in my, and many other's, opinion entirely stupid. It's just another fad item which degrades from the original attraction of the Jedi order.

Lucas screwed up the story arc of the new trilogy with silly things like comedic (or perhaps laughable?) computer generated characters, bad actor choice, hammy dialogue and the directorial ability of a stunned squirrel.

About the only effective whip I've encountered is that of the Yuzong Vong's ampistaff which could shift its attributes to confuse the opponent. A light saber whip would be rediculous since the weapon has no weight and wouldn't technologically work with any stretch of the imagination, it would be far too susceptable to being used against the weilder. Whip comes in, parry, whip flies back and decapitates the user.

I don't like all this cortosis stuff, I do not like gimmick weapons (ep1 staff blade, ep2 two lightsabers) I do, however, like new styles of combat (ep2 dooku).

I didn't read the whole thread because it effectively went to a flame war, I did notice that someone mentioned "before they were a jedi". I can see why you'd think this was a possibility since Luke wasnt a Jedi his whole life, but back in the era we're talking about (4000 years BNR) Jedi were taken at a young age and raised in the ways of the force.

I urge Obsidian to considder the implications of their additions to the universe. Please do not allow fads or gimmicks to tarnish the already abused mythos of Star Wars.

Personaly I think they just set up this area to clean the other forum, I dont think they pay much attention to this forum.

And they sould not take the sugestions done here, one of the things I HATE is the one about "Fallout endings" that simply do not belong in Star Wars, doing then is simply fan service, does not add anything and takes away from the Star Wars feeling.

Not to say about the sugestions that would make this game "Star Wars: Sith Lords of the Old Republic, The Sith Lords" since most garbage is about adding some obscure Sith crap.

I already have little faith on this game as it is ...

FireWolf comments are "his own opinion", a lot of people of the "older generation" have their own views with turns up being a problem, there will never be a agremment of how things sould fuctions ... its no wonder the "grey" concept of the force remains popular as Lucas said time and time again that its not.

drakron.png

The thing is; my own opinion is right. You'll learn this as time goes on.

Fallout. Great game. Not star wars though, so really there's not a whole lot you can add from the universe which isnt purely game mechanics like branching storylines etc which is not exclusive to Fallout.

I'm sure this forum gives the dev's a bit of a laugh at times. I wonder how often "saber whips" come up in meetings.

The force is open to interpretation, as all things are. That is why it is a "grey" area and that is why it can't be pinned down.

I've been busy elsewhere so I almost missed this.

1. Why would a Jedi Master trained in the use of lightwhips take his own head off? You could say the same thing about bladestaff fighters, chain+sickle fighters and ninchaku fighters, but they exist. They're very difficult weapons, but there they are.

Because said 'master' is trying to use a stupid weapon maybe?

2. Thanks for the technical advice, geek.

I starwars fan calling me a geek? Helpme out everyone is this irony, hypocrisy,or just stupid?

3. Why not?

Let's forget you can't get a blade to act like a whip at all and at least accept that the blade doesn't bend, the only way to get it to work would be to make connected segments, forgetting how stupid this is lets just ponder how they are going to get power to all those segments(I got nothing here but lets carry on). Now let pretend that the thing had six segments, unless they operated independently of each other a single flaw in any segment would destroy the entire device along all those rare crystals.

4. Ever seen Johnny Mnemonic? It had a retracting light-whip. I don't see why it'd have to dangle all over the place. It isn't as if Jedis have their lightsabers drawn all the time, either. Your argument that 'unless the Jedi turned the saberwhip off at the end of every attack or swung it around her head all day" is laughable. Don't be moronic.
If I recall correctly Johnny Mnemonic also had Ice-T and a talking dolphin in it, hot damn let's try to get that in this game too(the dolphin could speak jive, who can deny that thats cool!). Jedi have their lightsabers draw throughout a battle though, and this is where it really matters.

5. Huh? Whips are faster than swords, I just hope you know that. What do you think whips were invented for in the first place? The Indiana Jones movie? Whips aren't gigantic axes, you know. They're fast, dextrous weapons that are meant to whip weapons out of people's hands, hence the term 'whip'.

The strike of a normal whip is faster but the back swing is longer, too long really.

And anyway I dare you, I double dare youto find me one whip-knight!

Weiser, you should stick to posting crappy fan-art for KOTOR and writing erotic fan fiction about Bastila. It's what you do best. Just leave the design contributions to everybody else because it's clearly evident that you know nothing about good design.
I bet you'd still download them if I released them.

I wasn't offering any design contributions to anyone anyway I was sharing, thats why it wasn't in suggestions dimwit. And again I haven't seen one single desingn out of the lot of you, impress me, show me what you can do kid.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

i dont care what anyone of yall think about me now...but weiser_cain...you are a starwars **** man....you take it way 2 seriously, and you have wayyy to much time on your hands..get a life dude. or dudett. whichever you call yourself. take you time to come up with a smartass reply to this.

PS. Is that you in your avatar?

i dont care what anyone of yall think about me now...

I actually don't think about you at all.

but weiser_cain...you are a starwars **** man....

Ok it has four asterixes, but I can figure out what word actually fit there without sounding silly...

you take it way 2 seriously, and you have wayyy to much time on your hands..get a life dude. or dudett. whichever you call yourself.

I call myself Weiser_Cain actually. I really don't think I take this too seriously, you asked my opinion I gave it to you. Is adherence to the most basic ideas taking things too seriously? No.

take you time to come up with a smartass reply to this.

PS. Is that you in your avatar?

Don't mind if I do thank you. It's nice to know you'll wait patiently to be mocked. I must say that no that is not me in my avatar, I'd never expose myself on these boards. The last thing I need is to be called ugly on the board then sexually harassed in PM's. That is however, the expression on my face while doing most things on the internet.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (