Would you like to see a saberwhip in SW Knights 2?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a saberwhip in SW Knights 2?

• yes
    • no

That's one way to look at it. Another way is to say that perhaps some of the other jedi felt confined by merely using a sword or saber. There are many different types of melee weapon's such as swords, nunchucks, sai's and the like. What if before a person became aware of their affinity for the force they were already well taught with a specific type of weapon? Woule they be so quick to abandon their nunchucks and pick up a sword? No. So they tailor it to their own benefit. It especially fits in the case of a member of the sith who wants to completely step away from the jedi and therefore not only accepts the dark side of the force but also steps away from their weapon of choice as well. Do I like the idea or do I feel like it should be implemented? No. But is it some horrific blasphemous statement that should be damned for eternity? No.

-Samori

as i said before- a laser whip is featured in one of the jedi padawan books. it is a whip that is surrounded by a laser field and thus can't be cut by a lightsaber. it can cut through a lot of solid stuff and was wielded by a bounty hunter.

as to the elegant weapons lightsabers ought to be- it depends on the era. the archaic sabers of the past aren't elegant at all.

still, i don't see a need for such a weapon. i also disliked the swords in kotor- i should be able to cut through a vibrosword with my saber, yet people would constantly parry.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

rofl i seriously have to know what you were smoking when you thought this up metallicfalcon it is wrong on so many levels and stop changing your screenname id and posting support for your idea

LMFAO I'm an imposter because I don't think like everyone else who has posted on this board? I didn't say it was a revolutionary idea but damn it wasn't THAT bad. If I could put a whip in Bastilia's hands I'm not so sure I wouldn't do it but that may just be me. I don't care one way or another. Jeez.

-Samori

Lightwhips is a common (bad) idea, first problem is that it, naturaly, would be near impossible to work the same way as a lightsaber and that laserwhip is not the same as a lightwhip.

Another thing, EU is fill with crap that sould be avoided.

drakron.png

Lightwhips is a common (bad) idea, first problem is that it, naturaly, would be near impossible to work the same way as a lightsaber and that laserwhip is not the same as a lightwhip.

Another thing, EU is fill with crap that sould be avoided.

Perhaps I'm completely ignorant and out of touch but what does EU stand for? I've heard this acronym about 10 trilling times now.

-Samori

Well, when I think of Star Wars, I think of Samurai meets the old American West meets World War II, in ancient space, with telekinesis thrown in.

What it really comes down to is the fact that a lot of writers (unfortunately the recent GL included), instead of thinking of a great story with the given milieu, technological background, and character base, invoke the use of "gimicks":

-Midichlorians

-Double Bladed Lightsabers (theoretically impossible to use, if you ask me, even with the aid of the Force, TPM notwithstanding, but I digress)

-ysalamiri

-Grievous

-More and more technologically advanced ships (is there no end??)

All of the above mentioned things could be stricken, as far as I'm concerned, in liu of much more interesting ideas and characters that don't push the audience's suspension of disbelief.

I'll admit, I'm a purist; I think the Lightsaber should be as it was in the first three films: one blade, a few colors, and master to use it.

The Dark Jedi/Sith aren't stupid and honorless; just evil. Darth Vader could have choked Luke into submission in ESB, but he fought him face to face with a lightsaber (of course, later, he started cheating, but hey...)

I say get rid of any variant that strays from the above, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one. Yeah, yeah, everyone like Darth Maul's double lightsaber. Really, it's just a gimmick to sell more toys.

Keep reading if you'd like to see my explanation on why the double-bladed lightsaber (or any other variant) is invalid; Stop reading and move on if you're already exhausted:

In martial arts (kobujutsu), when using a bow to fight enemies, the fighter not only uses the momentum of the bow to perform maneuvers, he/she also is placing the bow on or against their body to push off from. Obviously this wouldn't work with a lightsaber. You might say the Jedi had designed a different fighting style to handle this kind of weapon, but then they'd be negating the benefits of using that type of weapon.

On the other hand, one rarely if ever needs to interact with a sharpened single bladed weapon in this manner; it's held away from you and will cut you if you touch it.

In my opinion, the duel between Darth Maul and Qui Gon and Obi Wan is total bulls***. If there were some element of reality in the whole fight, they would have totally schooled his ass.

Exactly.

I can't say the logic defending my point is totally unflawed; I just don't like the double-bladed lightsaber. Actually, come to think of it, I don't like it for two reasons:

1: It's a Lucasfilm/Lucasarts gimmick (this one really makes my blood boil).

("Oooo...look...Darth Maul has a TWO bladed lightsaber...He must be REALLY COOL and BAD...)

2: Knights and samurai didn't have two-bladed swords (at least not in any of my trips to the museum), and part of the adventure of Star Wars is it's allusion to these eras of human history.

Hey, there's a lot of kids out there who don't have the same relationship with the older films and original story as us older folks do. There comes a point where you begin to watch movies with a much more critical eye, and those who watched the newer films before this point will think them better than the old trilogy simply because they were newer, had more advanced special effects, current actors, etc.

As they get older, they will realize how the older trilogy will stand the test of time and the new ones won't.

I'm getting way off topic, but this relates to why I think that variants of the technological and mystical elements from what has already been explorered in the movies is mostly unnecessary. I'm not saying that there should be no variation, but that if a storywriter does "break code", they should have a very good plot reason to.

*phew*

I dug the double-saber and Maul. I think he was really underused.

However, your entitled to your opinion. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it.

I though Maul was one of the saving graces of Episode 1. I also contend that he is not evil. You'd be hard pressed to argue that he's evil.

I like the staff lightsaber. My only complaint is that it's so readily available for everyone to use. Prior to Darth Maul, I thought only Exar Kun was the only Sith Lord to ever wield one. It was always my impression that only the most powerful Force practitioners could make and wield a staff lightsaber in combat. Now their en vogue. It'd be cool if only PCs that had certain Jedi/Sith classes and have acquired enough Feats/Skills and a certain level could use one.

maul needed more dialogue to be an effective antagonist.

but yeah, he kindda saved episode1. i just wished that he sliced through jar jar while he was at it. y'know... just a little shortcut.

whahahaha

(meh. sorry)

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Maybe we can solve the staff saber problem we have been having in the forums by asking the devs to only include 1 or 2 in the entire game to find. We can solve the dual saber problem by making the number of light sabers in the game numbered. By the end of the first KOTOR I had so many lightsabers in my inventory I didn't know what to do with them all.

"good points about the lightsabers"

Sry to get off topic but I thought of something that would improve the game a little bit. When I was storing items into the storage bins on the ebon hawk, I found it very annoying to choose only one item at a time. After storing one item, you had to go back and do the same thing again and again. They need to make it where you can select as many items as you want at one visit , so you just have use the bin one time.

That's true about the storage bins. I think one of the ways they're trying to correct this is having the ability to break down all of your worthless items into parts you can use to upgrade. This helps because you don't have that surplus of crap cluttering up everything all the time.

"good points about the lightsabers"

Sry to get off topic but I thought of something that would improve the game a little bit. When I was storing items into the storage bins on the ebon hawk, I found it very annoying to choose only one item at a time. After storing one item, you had to go back and do the same thing again and again. They need to make it where you can select as many items as you want at one visit , so you just have use the bin one time.

It's already been confirmed by one of the devs or other that you're going to be able to add as many items as you want in one go this time around....to lazy to dig up the exact quote though.