Hello guys,

Quick question....

I am planing to create a wizard tank (yes wizard) (without multiclass) and I am confused with the wizard "talents".

If you see the example below they are "the same" spell with only one difference the number of spell levels so...

1) Why is not the same spell? They were very lazy to thing enchanting spells..hum..

2) Can I buff myself with the three spells or the bigger BUFF is going to overwrite the small version?

3) Is there another hidden difference not showing the text?

Quick example below:

Minor Arcane Reflection

Keywords: Enchanting
Cast Time: 0.4 sec
Recovery Time: 0.0 sec
Noise: Loud
Effects:

Self:

100% Chance to Reflect with Spells for 60.0 sec

Creates a field of arcane energy around the caster, causing hostile targeted spells to be reflected back at their casters (for a total of 15 spell levels).

Arcane Reflection
Combat only

Keywords: Enchanting
Noise: Loud (Use) / Quiet (Impact)
Effects:

Self:

100% Chance to Reflect against Spells for 60.0 sec

Creates a field of arcane energy around the caster, reflecting hostile targeted spells back at their casters (for a total of 30 spell levels).

Llengrath's Reflection

Keywords: Enchanting
Noise: Loud (Use) / Quiet (Impact)
Effects:

Self:

100% Chance to Reflect against Spells for 60.0 sec

Creates a field of arcane energy around the caster, reflecting hostile targeted spells back at their casters (for a total of 50 spell levels).

• Like 1

Those spells only truly differ by the number of spell levels absorbed, and they're not additive (but you can refresh them).

A fully buffed SC wizard can definitely be very tanky and keep his buffs for a long time with high INT, by starting the buff cycle with Infuse with Vital Essence (buff INT) and of course after level 13 with Wall of Draining. Considering this and your question, you can get more mileage from more spell levels to absorb but in practice I usually settle with the lvl 6 spell (std Arcane Reflection). Other lvl 9 spells are too valuable!

Be mindful that it is ONLY useful with direct-targeting spells and NOT with AoE spells like Arcane Dampener. So in practice, your best defense against spells is to boost your defenses (DEF, FOR, REF, WIL) and debuff enemies ACC (Chill Fog!). I like Arcane Reflection though to reflect my most hated spell in the game i.e. Form of the Helpless Beast. :) 

Edited by Not So Clever Hound

Some other thing which ius not obvious with wizard tanking: singular defense buffs (Arcane Veil, Mirrored Images, Wizard's Double, Llengrath's Displaced Image and so on) will all stack with Lllengrath's Safeguard (+20 to all defenses). 

Usually active buffs don't stack - but the game considers individual defense buffs (+x to deflection) and universal defense buffs (+x to all defenses) to be different things so they stack. Also works with Fighter's Vigorous Defense and Cipher's Borrowed Insticts. 

Llengrath's Safeguard has the additional bonus of 5 AR which is great. 

You can prolong Lllengrath's Safeguard with Wall of Draining, too.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods