rANDom vIdeo gaMe nEws

Amentep

22 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

It also means it's going to be at least 10 years late

Dont joke but I am  still irritated he couldn't finish the books, yes I understand he took time off for the exceptional HBO series but he has a commitment to fans to deliver on the books and he needs to respect that 

• Sad 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just now, kanisatha said:

Looks like a hack and slash action game to me. Yes? No?

I dont know, it was hard to see exactly what its about or to understand the  RPG design mechanics . I am going to do some proper research later when I am done with work for the day 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

Looks like a hack and slash action game to me. Yes? No?

Eh, more like Dark Souls meets Witcher 3.

An experiment that I hope pays off.

There's very few developers that I have utmost respect for and Miyazaki is definitely one of them.  I could isolate myself from the world for eternity and have only From Software games at my disposal and I could die a reasonably happy man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Wormie what do you think of Elden Ring? George R R Martin is part of it so it must be good :thumbsup:

I have no opinion, except Softworks, so I am interested. Didn’t read nor watch GoT, so GRRM involvement doesn’t mean much to me. I didn’t watch the leaked trailer. 

I still have DarkSouls3, Sekiro, and hopefully Bloodborn, to play so Elden Ring is not something I am actively waiting for. 

I am more interested in this Platinum project, but who knows if and when it will be out on PC. 

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

I don't know anything about Dark Souls, so could you please elaborate?

Some things that come to mind, though I have no clue how would those apply to Elden Ring:

1) Third person deliberate combat, brutally punishing button mashing. 

2) Checkpoint based save system, with resource management element, and where death is part of the core gameplay loop, rather then failure state. 

3) action RPG combat system - stats and weapons modify the gameplay experience, with various possible builds.

4) Lack of handholding, and relative freedom of exploration (even though games tend to have intended progression paths, and frankly that one is dodgy - Dark Souls1 early levels had clear metroidvania inspirations, but this design was dropped as game progressed, and sequels (and various souls-like) tend to stick to a more rigid structures)

5) Being Softworks games I have also some expectations when it comes to the tone - dark fantasy, massive, hulking creepy monsters, tough bossfights.

EDIT:
Here is a nice list from Mark Brown's video on the genre, though I feel some of the points might be difficult to understand without knowing what he is referring to. 
NynmG2m.jpg

In past years, most "soulslike" were following formula pretty closely - Softworks own Sekiro ditched or change quite a few core designs from what I heard - making it more of a souls-like action game, then action RPG. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

The first time I watched a trailer on this game I was very impressed and definitely planned to invest in it .....I am now even more committed. It wont be a " day 1 " purchase because I just want others to play it first  to ensure its not some sort of vaporware or riddled with bugs 

John Milton 

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Mamie should comment, he is like addicttttttttttttteeeeeed to DS ...I believe DS2 but he has great knowledge of this gaming franchise :thumbsup:8)

John Milton 

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Mamie should comment, he is like addicttttttttttttteeeeeed to DS ...I believe DS2 but he has great knowledge of this gaming franchise :thumbsup:8)

I love the games, but IMHO my knowledge on theirs mechanics is pretty low 😄. For some reason, even though I suck a lot at playing them, I am really having fun. OFC with the exclusion of Shrine of Amana 😄 I leave the explanation in more capable hands 😄

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

9 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Elaborate?  My advice would be to just 'play' it and then get back with questions as you progress.  It's not a typical RPG with a clearly defined plot, party, and predictable romp setup, though it is heavy on weapon styles and character stats which define the character.  I don't find the series difficult the way most gamers do, but more structured around obstacles in enemy attack patterns that you have to plan for and overcome, which feels natural to me rather than just defining it as "hard", though some areas of the game can be a real pain in the neck! (Blighttown, anyone?).

The plot is not clearly defined in the game, there is nobody explaining in depth what is going on in the world in a coherent manner, you have to actually check the item descriptions in the game piece it together yourself, though even then there's still holes that I think is done intentionally to leave it up to the players imagination to do the rest.

8 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Some things that come to mind, though I have no clue how would those apply to Elden Ring:

Elden Ring looks to be a cross between Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel expansion with a more open world approach like Witcher 3 and Skyrim, to better elaborate from my former simple analysis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Katphood said:

Finally! 

I cant exactly say why but this doesnt appeal to me ?

John Milton 

On 5/31/2021 at 5:20 PM, kanisatha said:

https://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/125085-solasta-crown-of-the-magister-review.html

Here is a good review from GameBanshee, its mostly positive :thumbsup:

• Thanks 3

John Milton 

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/stalker-2-release-date-trailer-open-world-everything-we-know/

Oh yes, the release date is somewhere in 2021 but at least we know STALKER 2 is coming out 8)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, BruceVC said:

George R R Martin is part of it so it must be good :thumbsup:

Dunno. Tuff Voyage is some of the most boring, pointless scifi I have ever read.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Having a well known fantasy author attached to a vidya game project is no guarantee it will be good or successful (see also: Amalur, Kingdoms of).

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Valheim devs gave an update in a Steam post. The gist is that the admit being overwhelmed be the number of players, which is understandable, and that Hearth & Home is expected Q3 2021.

d8694363a4971d739f15b15c242c399b02b14fbe

3ad06e9d69b9aec36edc98917f4c9dd154104824

eb08f7c1d334ed63b4681573f94dbfa2bb6f29a2

b14a1b879e7b63f8d38de3d8eaf4658616c55b62

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I cant exactly say why but this doesnt appeal to me ?

Gameplay is hack n slash swordfights. Story is great and has a cast of colorful characters. The 'open-world' is more of a gimmick and not to be taken seriously, especially so with the second game. 

• Thanks 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Elden Ring release date is planned for 22.1.22 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Elden Ring looks to be a cross between Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel expansion with a more open world approach like Witcher 3 and Skyrim, to better elaborate from my former simple analysis.

Scratch that, it looks like they're going full Peter Jackson and Assassin's Creed Valhalla 😄

I mean yeah it's a trailer and those are designed to appeal to a vast audience but with minimal info on mechanics there's little hype to be had there...

• Thanks 1

Also, new Tales of Arise trailer is out as well. And it looks like, your party will consist of 6 playable characters.

8 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Elden Ring release date is planned for 22.1.22 😄

Wow, that looks excellent and the monsters very aesthetically pleasing and the combat looks frenetic and impressive. Definitely a Controller choice for the PC version

I dont think we will see any deep and meaningful party\NPC  interaction like Romance but thats okay because I am not sure if games like DS ever have these types of things?

8 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Scratch that, it looks like they're going full Peter Jackson and Assassin's Creed Valhalla 😄

I mean yeah it's a trailer and those are designed to appeal to a vast audience but with minimal info on mechanics there's little hype to be had there...

Your initial guess was good and as accurate as it could be considering the limited information available....that Dragon battle looks amazing 🐲 

John Milton