rANDom vIdeo gaMe nEws

Amentep

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Volition needs to make another Freespace game and leave this Saints Row nonsense behind 😛

Might aswell wait for Star Citizen then. Not that that's going to release either but atleast there's an alpha :p

• Haha 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 5/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, Azdeus said:

Might aswell wait for Star Citizen then. Not that that's going to release either but atleast there's an alpha :p

I know.  Not even sure who owns the IP now anyway, Interplay bought it (for $7500!!!) but was supposed to have auctioned it.  Knowing fate, I'm sure Derek Smart won that :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A new Phoenix Point DLC released today, Festering Skies:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/839770/view/3026960867714652838

Tempted to boot back up the torture room that can be Phoenix Point, actually enjoyed the game quite a bit.  Read a little about the DLC and the changes that go with it the other day:

Game balancing
We’re continually optimizing the game for all our players, thanks to the feedback gathered from our community. In this first re-balancing effort, we looked at a few abilities and weapons that had the potential to be exploited and tweaked them to align better with our vision for the game. We’ll be keeping an eye on the reception and have other areas we’ll be addressing in the future.

• Remote Control adjusted from 1AP 3WP to 2AP 2 WP.
  • Sneak Attack now provides 50% damage dealt versus 100% when not spotted.
  • Vanish will now cost 1AP and 3WP, from 0 AP 4WP.
  • Advanced lasers - Scorcher now has a rebalanced Ammo capacity and burs

I am sad they reduced the Sneak Attack damage to 50 % ... not sure how I could beat the final level on hard without the extra damage ... still not sure worth another play through, maybe after I finish Solasta, catch of on Troubleshooters, potentially play the new Wasteland 3 DLC, and somehow finish my stalled playthrough of POE1 ???  Lots of choices for gaming coming up :)

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

19 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Freespace 3, Star Citizen, Half-Life 3, and Beyond Good & Evil 2 will all release on the same day. Unfortunately, the day before that the Earth will be hit by a massive Coronal Mass Ejection, frying all our electronics, killing 50% of the population, and knocking us back into a dark age. On the bright side, the aurora light show is going to be SPECTACULAR. :wowey:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

I know.  Not even sure who owns the IP now anywya, Interplay bought it (for $7500!!!) but was supposed to have auctioned it.  Knowing fate, I'm sure Derek Smart won that :lol:

IIRC Interplay still owns it. A decent number of their IPs went unbought.

Based on the reviews of Biomutant (even the fairly positive ones) what I take away is:

--unbalanced/too easy, both combat and puzzles, also combat repetitive and crafting feels kind of pointless because of not difficult
--beautiful open world, fun to explore
--a constant narrator that you'll either love or hate listening to
--"not enough enemies" out and about, eg too empty (don't people say that about half the open worlds tho?)
--would be great for the 10-14 year olds where a parent might not want them playing Resident Evil #666 or something, or anyone who just wants a more casual, no stress experience. And likes to take screenshots.   :shifty:

Which all actually sounds like it'd be my thing overall because I am not looking for "dark souls/rouge-like" or complicated.  Still, feels more like a $40 game to me.  I'll probably wait.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Based on the reviews of Biomutant (even the fairly positive ones) what I take away is:

That's far more positive then what I gathered from reviews I read/viewed. The only two good things I got are: it's ambitious, artstyle is good. It will be a skip for me. 

• Thanks 1

read a review today which completely destroyed the game, very badly executed Assassin's Creed clone with cute animals. I wasn't interested in the game to begin with, but the studio that made it used to make decent games, so I'm a bit surprised they actually released it in its current state. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I have a feeling Biomutant is simply an all-around mediocre game, nothing really all that horrid, nor nothing great, but it's somehow been slated to be early-hate-trained on, at least for the moment. Example: if you don't like the VA or using it as an npc dialogue-translation theme/tactic, such doesn't warrant two or three paragraphs re: wanting to poke your eardrums out. Reviewers just like to rant these days.  It's just not the combat-uber game some wanted. I see plenty of people enjoying playing the game, it's just ... casual.  Edit: I still don't think it's a $60 title tho, that's part of the ire I'd guess.  If I get it it's mostly because I don't mind/like wandering open worlds to take pictures. haha.

Also, I personally think on Steam, users/players shouldn't be able to "review" a game if they have under 3 hours played. 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Seems like it could attract a niche fanbase.

The problem I have with Steam reviews is a lot of them are like diametrically opposite of my opinion.  "The game starts out great but gets more dull as you progress" -or vice versa- is one I see a lot when my opinion is the exact opposite. 

2 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Seems like it could attract a niche fanbase.

I don't know. For the game to have a niche fanbase it needs to do something exceptional, and this one seems like a mess. Which doesn't surprise me. For me it was always promising too many conflicting things to not make me suspicious. And as far as Ubisoft open world games go, I still have couple left in my library, that I hear are pretty decent. 

I'd be doubtful Biomutant has enough reason to "keep playing" or replay it to create a large, even niche fanbase.  I mean I'm sure like with almost ANY game, there will be those few who think it's the bestest thing since sliced bread, but for most, even if they overall enjoy a romp through it, it doesn't seem like it'd have a lot of staying power, so to speak. Unless patches/DLC address some issues/add more repeatable content.

Anyway ... it's funny because, maybe since I never expected some masterpiece of a game to begin with, what I focused on the most in recent days is the art style.  One reason I haven't snapped it up just to take pictures for a few hours is that it has that overly saturated colorful type of style, where it purposely avoids neutral or subtle tones.  Like having digital vibrance turned up to a billion.  Sometimes that's fine/I like it, at least while playing, but it doesn't bring out the "photographer" OCD in me. I had the same issue with No Man's Sky visuals.

Edited by LadyCrimson

17 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Not much to go on beyond this is a game being made.

You weren't kidding when you say " not much about the game ", also my Japanese is not quite up to scratch so I have no idea what was said :shrugz:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^ All I get from that teaser trailer is that DQ12 will be fire-themed, which will make it the 3741004328th fire-themed game. I mean, what is there to say about it, it's Dragon Quest.

Squeenix has 2 venerable jRPG series. One of them, Final Fantasy, has reinvented itself again and again, for better or worse, usually going in a more actiony direction. The other, Dragon Quest, has basically remained the same. There have been quality of life improvements and the formula has been refined a bit, but you can pick up a DQ from 25 years ago and it will play essentially the same as a DQ from today.

I wonder if we'll get an Ichiban Kasuga cameo. I found it weird that Kasuga waxed poetic about how much he loved DQ in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I mean, I love DQ too, it's great, but why would SEGA promote a Squeenix series and not one of their own, like Phantasy Star, for example. I wonder if Squeenix will return the favor with a YLaD cameo or two. Super bonus points if my girl Saeko shows up for a cup of coffee.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

^ All I get from that teaser trailer is that DQ12 will be fire-themed, which will make it the 3741004328th fire-themed game. I mean, what is there to say about it, it's Dragon Quest.

Squeenix has 2 venerable jRPG series. One of them, Final Fantasy, has reinvented itself again and again, for better or worse, usually going in a more actiony direction. The other, Dragon Quest, has basically remained the same. There have been quality of life improvements and the formula has been refined a bit, but you can pick up a DQ from 25 years ago and it will play essentially the same as a DQ from today.

I wonder if we'll get an Ichiban Kasuga cameo. I found it weird that Kasuga waxed poetic about how much he loved DQ in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I mean, I love DQ too, it's great, but why would SEGA promote a Squeenix series and not one of their own, like Phantasy Star, for example. I wonder if Squeenix will return the favor with a YLaD cameo or two. Super bonus points if my girl Saeko shows up for a cup of coffee.

I have never played a Dragon Quest game, I need to do some gaming with JRPG....I dont think I have ever played one before including  any Final Fantasy games. I did love Sleeping Dogs but I am not sure that would be considered Japanese designed and themed 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I did love Sleeping Dogs but I am not sure that would be considered Japanese designed and themed 

Sleeping Dogs was designed by a (sadly now defunct) Canadian studio and the game took place in Hong Kong. So, that's  no and no. :geek:

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

That is one of the best gameplay videos I have ever seen, DL2 looks amazing and I cant wait 

I like the idea of helping and joining factions and their seems to be new combat mechanics. I remember from DL1 the significance of night travel but it looks even more terrifying and entertaining than  DL1

This is definitely going to be a "day 1 " purchase for me but I will play it after 3 months of release to allow for the creation  of potential patches\updates  to address initial and inevitable bugs 8)

Oh and that glider looks sooooo cool, I will be using that especially at night 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

On 5/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, BruceVC said:

You weren't kidding when you say " not much about the game ", also my Japanese is not quite up to scratch so I have no idea what was said :shrugz:

"Why do people live", or "what's the meaning of life", etc. And the name of the game.

I've never played a Dragon quest game, are they generally worth playing? I played the Steam demo of the previous one, and it felt just too cartoonish and pastel for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

"Why do people live", or "what's the meaning of life", etc. And the name of the game.

I've never played a Dragon quest game, are they generally worth playing? I played the Steam demo of the previous one, and it felt just too cartoonish and pastel for me.

Im in the same boat, never played one before but other members have so someone will comment 

Thanks for the translation  :thumbsup:

John Milton