About the Light side...

Once again I must disagree. There's a hell of a lot of difference between choking someone to death while cutting them down then there is between paralyzing someone to the point that THEY CANNOT ATTACK YOU and then doing what you feel is necessary. The mere fact that the name of the power is kill should tell you it's a dark side power. And droids aren't human so I don't put it in the same category. And the power is neutral if I remember by the way.

Actually, they're definitely lightside powers (in the game at least).

But the point is, even if you consider force choking someone more evil than sabering them, the game lets you kill vast numbers of creatures with no penalty. A lightside jedi should be stunning them, bringing them to the authorities or mind tricking them to remain unseen. If the jedi council were willing to spare you, why should you be allowed to kill stuff and remain good.

Now whether using the force to kill someone lures you to the darkside more than a non force based killing is a valid point (though technically you have to use the force to wield a lightsaber). But to say force choking someone to death is evil and sabering them isn't just seems silly to me.

It's not silly my friend. There's a difference between poisoning someone's sleeping pills and stabbing them to death in the throat. If a Jedi absoloutely must kill someone defend him/her then it's done as quickly and painlessly as possible. The idea of powers such as Kill and Insanity is that as a Sith not only do I want you to die but I also want you to either bow in fear while I do it or I want it to be as painful as possible. Neither is a method that a member of the Jedi order wuold employ.

Also if you're a lightside Jedi you don't just go around killing people. You kill those who attempt to kill you. It's clear that you're going to defend yourself as a Jedi so the council wouldn't object to this. However as a Dark Side Jedi you can go around collecting bounties, killing and robbing innocent people, and even start skirmishes with people who would've otherwise left you alone. These are the things that bring you closer to the dark side not defending yourself against evil Jedi that are sent by Malak to kill you. And on one last note if there is any way whatsoever to avoid conlfict then usually you have to do so in order not to receive a dark side hit. You must bargain with the Sand people, you must at least attempt to settle the dispute of the two families etc. etc. etc. Otherwise you choose to accept the dark side.

-Samori

If it were possible to pull off given the restraints of the game you should have the option of either killing or incapacitating your opponent. For example in the duel ring on taris with the exception of Brendak you didn't actually kill anyone. You just brought their health down to a point where they were no longer able to fight. This would make a much more believable Light side jedi IMO. Either way I hope that they give attention to both sides as spending too much time on one will dtract from the other.

P.S. I'm dyslexic, I do wish there was a spell checker on these boards.

Spellmar is a friendly service intended to encourage good spelling. Spellmar can not differentiate between typos (of which I too am guilty) and spelling mistakes.

After I post, I reread my post two times usually, and edit typos. I'm neurotic, but I'm also quite dyslexic like you.

And while I have no qualms with you being an aetheist (nor do I have any desire to debate religion) I find your statements instantly discrediting the validty of religion to be rather close-minded. Scientific theory is based upon the notion that we don't know anything and we're trying to better understand the world we live in via theories and postulates.

This concept that we know anything to be absolutely true or false is foolish and closes our mind to true knowledge. Believing strongly in a concept is one thing. However all beliefs should be able to stand the test of questioning.

But the point is, even if you consider force choking someone more evil than sabering them, the game lets you kill vast numbers of creatures with no penalty. A lightside jedi should be stunning them, bringing them to the authorities or mind tricking them to remain unseen. If the jedi council were willing to spare you, why should you be allowed to kill stuff and remain good.

Now whether using the force to kill someone lures you to the darkside more than a non force based killing is a valid point (though technically you have to use the force to wield a lightsaber). But to say force choking someone to death is evil and sabering them isn't just seems silly to me.

It's odd.

The Star Wars universe encourages this concept that using the force to injure someone is inherently dark. However, using your skill in the Force to augment your ability with a lightsaber to kill is fine.

Don't ask me why.

I say the game really needs a grey option, or possibly a moderate or "defiant" light or dark side as well.

What if I wanted to kill the other bounty hunters but still have the Twi'leks chase me?

Jolee was a grey Jedi.

And PCs could alternate between good and evil decisions on a case-by-case basis, hoping to strike a balance. Jolee almost seemed to advocate this. Or you could avoid all the sidequests the focused heavily on choosing sides.

So there were grey options despite the fact that Star Wars seems to focus on the spaghetti-western ideal of good guys vs. bad guys.

True it did, but sometimes I felt like I was doing stupid things just to keep the balance. I.E the game wasn't made to play that way..no problem if it doesn't have this it would just be nice.

What if I wanted to kill the other bounty hunters but still have the Twi'leks chase me?

It seems like dialogue options in general were cheesy.

I expect this to be largely improved.

It wouldn't be Star Wars without cheesy dialogue!

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

It's odd.

The Star Wars universe encourages this concept that using the force to injure someone is inherently dark. However, using your skill in the Force to augment your ability with a lightsaber to kill is fine.

Don't ask me why.

It's not odd. Maybe I'm not thinking about this deeply enough but it seems to me a clear issue. There's a difference between PURPOSELY going around and robbing and assaulting people then there is EXPLORING and only attacking people and animals that attack you. The only person you attack that doesn't attack you first is maybe the female assassin on Taris. That's it. Everybody else you much less attack then you do defend yourself. But as a dark side Jedi you go around looking for people to kill and rob. As a light side Jedi you only kill when it's absoloutely necessary. What is odd or conflicting about this?

-Samori

Renegade,

I'm not arguing the evil intent of attacking first vs. defending yourself.

Imagine this. I attack you out of the blue. You defend yourself. That's all fine and dandy. In Star Wars you can even defend yourself with a lightsaber. We're still all fine and dandy. But if you defend yourself with a force choke, or zap me, then you get dark side points.

That I don't understand.