Question: does lying repeatedly have consequences? Does stealing have consequences, if I'm not caught?

Dear fellow players: 

Sometimes I lie because I can get extra xp from a conversation, but I'm concerned I may miss out on some perk, reward or event by lying to others repeatedly in different occasions. 

Does lying repeatedly have consequences? Does stealing have consequences, if I'm not caught?

No, there are no negative consequences if you lie. You get more XP and reduction in violence. And for stealing, if you don't get caught, it doesn't matter. however, if you do get caught though, your reputation reduces, but you can also talk your way out of it, given the right skills 

• Like 1

There is no Pillars-Of-Eternity-character-reputation mechanic. Persuade, Intimidate, Lie are usually superior options (you gert what you want) gated behind a stat. I don't think I have encountered an unexpected consequence for one. Stealing has no consequence as long as you are not caught. 

On 4/12/2021 at 1:25 AM, Turner Mia said:

No, there are no negative consequences if you lie. You get more XP and reduction in violence. And for stealing, if you don't get caught, it doesn't matter. however, if you do get caught though, your reputation reduces, but you can also talk your way out of it, given the right skills 

Lie if you will.. Seems kinda sus though. Nah just kidding. As far as I can tell it helps you level up as this gentleman has stated. Unless there is some sort of super secret Easter egg or something you should be fine. Just don't get caught stealing as it seems if you do get caught two separate times then you reputation drops by 1% for that faction. If you get caught back to back (depending on the temperament of some NPC's seemingly)* they will become hostile. The best thing to do is if you are going to test something or do something blatant/ "stupid" save first.

• 1 month later...

The stealing is pretty bad in TOW.  Npcs are not at all suspicious of you, even if you are in a warehouse that was locked... the guard inside will just say "I'm watching you" and then not watch you at all.

I still like the game but stealing is just way too easy.