Curved Lightsabers?

Would you want a curved lightsaber hilt model ingame?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a curved lightsaber hilt model ingame?

• YES
    • NO
    • DON'T CARE

The idea of a curved hilt was used for more horseback oriented combat. A curved hilt combined w/ a curved blade gave you the ability to slash over a greater portion of your blade in a short period of time. The curved blade assisted in keeping it from getting stuck as you rode past your 'victim' at a gallop. The hilt would relieve the excessive stress on your wrist at those speeds since you'd break it after a couple of well landed strikes. Granted medieval knights used straight blades and hilts, but they had their wrists reinforced by metal gauntlets...oh, and they tended to use a lance or spear on horseback and only resorted to the sword on foot. There you have it a quick reason why a curved hilt...

Oh and for a Jedi...well not too much use really unless you do alot of slashing as you ride by on a swoop I guess. :p

The idea of a curved hilt was used for more horseback oriented combat. A curved hilt combined w/ a curved blade gave you the ability to slash over a greater portion of your blade in a short period of time. The curved blade assisted in keeping it from getting stuck as you rode past your 'victim' at a gallop. The hilt would relieve the excessive stress on your wrist at those speeds since you'd break it after a couple of well landed strikes. Granted medieval knights used straight blades and hilts, but they had their wrists reinforced by metal gauntlets...oh, and they tended to use a lance or spear on horseback and only resorted to the sword on foot. There you have it a quick reason why a curved hilt...

Oh and for a Jedi...well not too much use really unless you do alot of slashing as you ride by on a swoop I guess. :p

Well it was in Jedi Acadamy, although that level sucked.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Yes. Different cultures would have different interpretations of weapons, so it wouldn't be odd for different races/alien cultures to have curved weapons.

As for the actual physics, I don't know how they'd create a curved energy blade. I think the ultimate (taking things to extremes) would be a kind of lightsaber whip. Imagine - the Sith lord would have a wicked red lightsaber whip thing, which could whip round block attempts. Since a touch is all that's needed to cut, conventional defences against whips wouldn't work well.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

The explanation given in many guides for Dooku's odd saber hilt is that Dooku practiced an older, more classical form of lightsaber combat that "favors long, elegant moves and increidble deftness of hand" and that the curved hilt "allows precise crossparry moves". How well this would work in reality, I'm not sure, but that's the in universe explanation. Personally, I'd love to weild a single saber one-handed. It's been a while since I've watched AOTC, but doesn't Dooku fight one-handed like Vader often did? I think a curved hilt would have fit in well with the character I made my Revan out to be, but not with what I'm foreseeing for my TSL PC to be. Still, I'd love to see them put in.

As for lightwhips, I've never been able to decide whether its an interesting idea, or a silly one. Either way, its a good thing Lumiya won't show up for about 3995 years after KOTOR. :p

Personally I'd like to dual-wield medium length (between normal and short lightsabers) blades, almost like kodachi. Because of the speed and more control over the blade, it offers very strong defence and speed. However, attacking power isn't as strong as single blades used with two hands, and of course there's a slight range disadvantage. However, they'd still be better than short swords.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

If they do add a Dooku style ligtsaber it should have different stats. Maybe slightly less damage but giving a bonus to defense, or critical threat on 17-20.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!