The All Things Political Thread (One thread to rule them all and in the darkness bind them)

Gorth

19 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I know it was used to reference poor whites in the south ("corn-crackers"). It's this use that Gary Cooper's character refers to Mari Aldon' character as a cracker in the 'Eastern' film DISTANT DRUMS (which, for film trivia buffs is also the source of the 'Wilhelm Scream')

It was also applied to anyone who used a whip in their job, which is how it became associated with slave overseers.

The use for Atlanta's minor league team is unclear, but they were the Atlanta Firecrackers in 1892, 3 years before they became the Atlanta Crackers. So it's possible it's a derivation of that, or it's a multilevel meaning.

Also meant Atlanta had a team called the Atlanta Black Crackers...

your ordinary southern bigot is not big on subtlety, but give millions o' people +100 years o' practice and they can collective become adept at finding ways to broadcast their racism w/o it being overt enough to be worthy o' sanction.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

22 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Yep. They were in the NNL if I remember correctly. I did their caps and uniforms in that mod we were working on. Since posting that this morning I’ve been snooping around on the web. And you’re right the actual name of the crackers and what it was supposed to mean is unclear. For the majority of their life they were a part of the independent southern association. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of history on that. There’s a lot more on MLB affiliated teams and leagues.

Yeah, Southern Association/Southern League for most of the run (last three years with AAA International League).  

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

@Amentep if you are not playing 00TP you should be. I think you would like it. Anyone who likes the Football Manager series and likes baseball even a little bit would enjoy it. They have one for hockey too. Franchise hockey manager. It’s nowhere near as polished but it hasn’t been around all that long yet.

It is on my list of things to check out, I think I would enjoy it (although I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with sims).

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

your ordinary southern bigot is not big on subtlety, but give millions o' people +100 years o' practice and they can collective become adept at finding ways to broadcast their racism w/o it being overt enough to be worthy o' sanction.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes, they'd need to signal to other believers they were among friends and to warn people they felt needed put on notice they were there.  Which is why it wouldn't surprise me that the name might have been intended to mean different things to different audiences.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/n-c-bill-would-ban-treatment-trans-people-under-21-n1263146

The bill would also compel state employees to immediately notify parents in writing if their child displays “gender nonconformity.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

15 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Fact Check: How Colorado, Georgia Voting Laws Differ Despite Conservatives' Claims

I saw some of those claims about CO being just as bad or worse than GA in my news feed and had to post this

So basically GA is full of **** and CO is trying to make voting easier. At this point it's difficult to feign surprise.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Fact Check: How Colorado, Georgia Voting Laws Differ Despite Conservatives' Claims

I saw some of those claims about CO being just as bad or worse than GA in my news feed and had to post this

the flood o' voter suppression efforts in multiple states has been predictable. unfortunate, what needs to happen to combat such limits on the franchise is old fashioned grassroot efforts to maximize voter turnout particular in battleground states. need increase voter turnout in spite o' the new laws. 2022 and 2024 will not be like 2020. republican election officials will not be on tv defending election integrity and the courts will defer to all but the most egregious new obstacles created by state legislatures. am concerned 2020 trump campaign defeats will have made far too many people complacent.

republicans have finally recognized the impact o' automatic voter registration laws and they know expansions o' mail-in voting (pandemic related or otherwise) hurt their chances at retaining power. the gop is going old skool with overt efforts at voter suppression via state legislatures and they have a major news network helping them with their gaslighting efforts. 

democrats need to get serious if they do not wanna lose ground. SCOTUS will not protect them. anybody who thinks Justice Roberts is gonna side with Kagan or Sotomayor when it comes to state capacity to limit voting rights has not been paying attention to the relevant cases. all o' the so-called conservatives on the Court is gonna be antagonistic to just about any effort to place limits on state legislatures insofar as voting laws is concerned.  need to accept such a reality and plan for how to deal with those laws. 

npr and psaki are correct 'bout the georgia law, but being right about fox news and gop lies don't change or invalidate the georgia law. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Biden expected to announce executive actions on gun control today

mostly a nothing burger if this is what it is. So called ghost gun sales are already impossible to track. Concealed carry of assault weapons is not even a thing. Crack downs on stabilizers and bump stocks in the like, no big deal. Gun control is more and more becoming a state issue. And I’m fine with that. Congress can only do one size fits all measures and that’s just not appropriate in a country as complex as this one. State legislatures are more in tune with and cognizant of the needs of their constituency. 

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Biden expected to announce executive actions on gun control today

mostly a nothing burger if this is what it is. So called ghost gun sales are already impossible to track. Concealed carry of assault weapons is not even a thing. Crack downs on stabilizers and bump stocks in the like, no big deal. Gun control is more and more becoming a state issue. And I’m fine with that. Congress can only do one size fits all measures and that’s just not appropriate in a country as complex as this one. State legislatures are more in tune with and cognizant of the needs of their constituency. 

I tend to agree, any meaningful and sustainable gun control needs to be implemented by the states

The Federal government getting involved in this tends to create other problems that end up hijacking the original objective 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Does Brexit mean the end of the peace in Northern Ireland?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664868

Rioting in Belfast on Wednesday night was on a scale not seen in Northern Ireland for years, police have said.

During several hours of violence, police officers were attacked, petrol bombs were thrown and a bus was burnt.

Eight officers were injured at an interface between loyalist and nationalist areas in west Belfast.

A bus burns on a street in west Belfast

For the less history savvy, the peace agreement in Northern Ireland ended a conflict between the provisional IRA and the UK which left 3000 dead and 49000 wounded

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Clearly this is the work of Antifa.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Does Brexit mean the end of the peace in Northern Ireland?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664868

Rioting in Belfast on Wednesday night was on a scale not seen in Northern Ireland for years, police have said.

During several hours of violence, police officers were attacked, petrol bombs were thrown and a bus was burnt.

Eight officers were injured at an interface between loyalist and nationalist areas in west Belfast.

A bus burns on a street in west Belfast

For the less history savvy, the peace agreement in Northern Ireland ended a conflict between the provisional IRA and the UK which left 3000 dead and 49000 wounded

It would be funny if Brexit ended up breaking up the UK.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Joe Manchin says hard “No” to any attempt to eliminate filibuster

they may be cursing him now but they will be thanking him later. You weaken the influence of the minority at your own considerable peril. Because someday you will be in the minority. Actually I think most of them are not cursing him because they know this all too well.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Joe Manchin says hard “No” to any attempt to eliminate filibuster

they may be cursing him now but they will be thanking him later. You weaken the influence of the minority at your own considerable peril. Because someday you will be in the minority. Actually I think most of them are not cursing him because they know this all too well.

our position on the filibuster has been stated many times, so won't repeat. 

HA! Good Fun!

Well here is a rotten onion in the stew. Biden’s executive order against “ghost guns” also includes black powder muzzleloader replicas sold as kits for collectors. They come disassembled with unfinished wood stock and grips and umblued steel hardware. I built one years ago a replica of a Missouri River Hawken .50. Its fully functional but it’s more of a decoration than a weapon. I wanted to buy and build a Kentucky Long Rifle. By not exempting these Biden claims of in infringing on the 2A are false. He is literally restricting a firearm used in the American Revolution. 

• Hmmm 1

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Well here is a rotten onion in the stew. Biden’s executive order against “ghost guns” also includes black powder muzzleloader replicas sold as kits for collectors. They come disassembled with unfinished wood stock and grips and unblued steel hardware. I built one years ago a replica of a Missouri River Hawken .50. Its fully functional but it’s more of a decoration than a weapon. I wanted to buy and build a Kentucky Long Rifle. By not exempting these weapons from the background check and serial number requirements standard for similar firearms manufactured by traditional means as opposed to homemade kits, Biden claims of in infringing on the 2A are false. He is literally restricting a firearm used in the American Revolution. 

am not sure what relevance you see regarding the american revolution, but we went ahead and fixed your post... although it kinda lacks the no compromise bite it had previous to our needed edit.

HA! Good Fun!

ps biden is not infringing on any weapon used in the american revolution as all weapons manufactured pre 1900 is exempt from federal regulation.

3 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Definitely what the EU is aiming for. Gibraltar back to Spain, NI to Ireland and they'll support a Scottish independence referendum (despite being antipathetic to a Catalan one) and offer to break their accession rules to let the Scots in too. Probably try to get the UK off the UN Security Council and the EU on to it as well, despite already having France there and there being far more deserving candidates.

The EU is a deeply insecure institution obsessed with its own gravitas- as shown by the current obsession with von der Leyen having to sit on a couch in Turkey- and it will want to make sure anyone else considering leaving knows what they will get.

4 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

I sort of hope for at least a united Ireland from this

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

45 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am not sure what relevance you see regarding the american revolution, but we went ahead and fixed your post... although it kinda lacks the no compromise bite it had previous to our needed edit.

HA! Good Fun!

ps biden is not infringing on any weapon used in the american revolution as all weapons manufactured pre 1900 is exempt from federal regulation.

This is what I was talking about:

KR6186306_WEB2.jpg

Technically they are "ghost guns" because they are not serialized. There is a discussion going on over at the Heritage Firearms website about this. Hyperbole aside I expect the DOJ will issue an exemption for this kind of thing. It's a niche they are probably not aware of. But yes muzzleloaders new and old are generally exempt from federal regulation. In fact I bought two over the past year and had them shipped right to my house. You can not do that with a regular firearm. IIRC there is an exception for calibers over .71 but don't quote me on that. 

Anyway the little quip about the American Revolution is because these kits are all to build firearms that were in common use when the 2A was adopted. I find it humorously ironic that right after insisting he does not want to infringe on the 2A he issues and executive order that restricts the exact kind of firearm that EVERYONE can agree the 2A protects. I find that very comical. C'mon, even YOU ought to get a chuckle from that. 

Thomas Sowell

56 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I sort of hope for at least a united Ireland from this

That would be absolutely hilarious.

17 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

This is what I was talking about:

*sigh*

am knowing what you were talking 'bout, but again, is utter irrelevant. similar weapons were used in the french and indian war.  so what?

the kit guns owners is not being forced to suffer some kinda special limit. opposite. the kit gun is now having same restrictions all other similar firearm sales need meet. point out fact that some such guns is modeled on firearms from the american revolution is some kinda attempt at deflection or just misguided. couldn't possible put a second amendment limit on an american revolutionary weapon? once the Constitution became the law o' the land, pretty much every state, and a whole lotta municipalities had gun control laws which would necessarily have impacted revolution era weapons.  however, because certain specific kits are not getting a special exemption, you somehow see as onerous to the 2nd amendment? serious? 

the requirement that ghost guns need have serial numbers and ownership must be following same background checks as other firearms baffles you why exactly? of course there will be select ghost guns which while still lethal is unlikely to ever be used in some kinda crime. so what? the second amendment infringement resulting is no greater than the burden on other current firearm ownership and it would be utter asinine to try and carve out individual exceptions (which necessarily create opportunities for exploitation) when the burdens is negligible. who do you want deciding which firearms is not scary enough or lethal enough to require serial numbers and background checks?

again, the burden being imposed is no different than other firearm ownership.

more no compromise silliness.

HA! Good Fun!

On 4/7/2021 at 2:13 PM, ShadySands said:

Our state (WA) has been using all mail-in ballots since 2011 and it works great. You don't have to drive to an election booth and decide who to pick; it can be done at your leisure at home with full access to the internet. I'd like to see more states adopt this system so we can get rid of all this legalized voter suppression nonsense.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

44 minutes ago, Sarex said:

If someone deserves it after all this time it would be Ireland. They got a ****-sandwich to eat throughout their history.

While they don't have it as bad as Ireland, Scotland and Wales getting free of the English would probably be an improvement for them.

^^^This is what americans actually believe.

(England always has and always will subsidise the other parts of the union. It's like Alabama or Mississippi 'threatening' California in the US. The only thing Scotland has going for it is the nearly exhausted North Sea oil, and Wales doesn't even have that. Their only potential future is the same as Ireland's- tax haven revenue stolen off the rest of the world. Wales also voted for Brexit, same as England, though for some reason only Scotland's and NI's votes seem to ever get mentioned...

Should probably also point out to preempt any accusations of anglophilia that I earned the much valued 'lippy colonial' achievement from Monte Carlo after slagging off Britain on these very forums)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2