The All Things Political Thread (One thread to rule them all and in the darkness bind them)

Gorth

Sports is heavily tribal anyway, can't really see politics making it much worse.  Surprised Republicans love this bill, allowing the State to just replace local officials. 

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You can always talk about increasing crime rates in such utopias like Chicago or Portland. 

Maybe changes in Baltimore? 

How are other metro areas doing? 

Trying to catch up to South Africa or Somalia? Or maybe waiting for some Colombian or Mexican life style and sense of security? 

This is funny though. Really, it's like you really want to have two seperate Americas in USA. 

China and Russia must be rolling laughing out loud. 

So, which side has more purchasing power and production power and natural resources under control? 

Will rural areas stop selling food to democrat ran cities? 😅

Will truckers stop delivering? 

Etc. 

Sounds like some fun times ahead, for everyone else than US residents affected by all this crap. 

Edited by Darkpriest

15 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

You can always talk about increasing crime rates in such utopias like Chicago or Portland. 

Maybe changes in Baltimore? 

How are other metro areas doing? 

Trying to catch up to South Africa or Somalia? Or maybe waiting for some Colombian or Mexican life style and sense of security? 

Weird example to choose Portland, they're pretty far back from Chicago, much less Mogadishu or something.   As for talking about that, why not, although said monologues here would be unproductive.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bill Gates is largest private farm owner in USA, so he would probably give big thanks to any rural area that stops selling food to democrat ran cities.

It would also be bit funny if those democrat run cities would block red states from selling their product to China 💸

8 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Bill Gates is largest private farm owner in USA, so he would probably give big thanks to any rural area that stops selling food to democrat ran cities.

It would also be bit funny if those democrat run cities would block red states from selling their product to China 💸

That's why I said, it will be really fun to watch, how tribal people will get in US. 

And yes, I believe Gates and Buffett are the holders of a lot of land. They've been increasing the size of their holdings for some time. I think I even linked some article a few months back. I've also mentioned increasing food prices and profit opportunities there. 

Some more conteporary opinion piece. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill-gates-and-warren-buffet-should-thank-american-taxpayers-for-their-profitable-farmland-investments-11615382905

Edited by Darkpriest

15 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

For some reason had thought Chicago was less people than it was, Portland seems a bit ahead.  Although I think in terms of absolute violence Chicago is way far ahead.  St Louis, Detroit are about that bad.   Editorial is pretty on though, although managerial type statements usually are :lol:

This is a handy site -https://heyjackass.com/

More cities should have their data up in a format like that.  Lot of people get shot in the ass in Chicago..

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Lets cheer them on. They are on a right trajectory to catch up! 

Just need even less funding to Police. 

I'm sure cutting 80MM out of the CPD 1.7 B budget really hurt them.  😛

2 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

If I'm going to wish for the impossible, I'm going a lot bigger than athletes or commentators or franchise owners not expressing political opinions.

Don’t get me wrong. They can express political opinions all they want. They can use their fame to advocate if they like. I am 100% in favor of that no matter what cause they choose to get behind.  I just wish they would leave it out of the stadiums. Generally speaking political activism is not welcome in the workplace. Something like that is the best reserved for your own time. Major league baseball itself is certainly welcome to political activism if that’s what the owners and controllers of the franchise like. But it making the decisions they made they screwed over a lot of people and businesses who are counting on that revenue who had nothing to do with what the governor of Georgia and the state legislature did. Removing the All-Star game does not hurt the government of Georgia. It’s like me punishing you to protest something Hurlshot did. 

Of course the All-Star game belongs to major-league baseball and they can do with it whatever they like. I’m not saying they couldn’t I am saying maybe they shouldn’t.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

Will rural areas stop selling food to democrat ran cities? 😅

Don't know how other states are, but here the major metropolitan area is actually the major economic factor in the state.  The taxes generated there are being used to prop up services - including farm subsidies - in rural areas.  While the rural areas seem to think the metro areas are tax sinks, the data shows otherwise (its also a bit similar to Sen. McConnell complaining about New York getting federal funding when his home state received more in Federal funding than they give in taxes to the federal government, unlike New York).

22 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Don’t get me wrong. They can express political opinions all they want. They can use their fame to advocate if they like. I am 100% in favor of that no matter what cause they choose to get behind.  I just wish they would leave it out of the stadiums. Generally speaking political activism is not welcome in the workplace. Something like that is the best reserved for your own time. Major league baseball itself is certainly welcome to political activism if that’s what the owners and controllers of the franchise like. But it making the decisions they made they screwed over a lot of people and businesses who are counting on that revenue who had nothing to do with what the governor of Georgia and the state legislature did. Removing the All-Star game does not hurt the government of Georgia. It’s like me punishing you to protest something Hurlshot did. 

Of course the All-Star game belongs to major-league baseball and they can do with it whatever they like. I’m not saying they couldn’t I am saying maybe they shouldn’t.

I don't really feel comfortable with some of this corporate activism going on.  Two legislators here were fired from their regular jobs at law firms over the legislation, which seems at odds with the idea of sending a representative to represent their constituents to me.  We live in weird times.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

52 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm fine with it and only just mostly because it's a win for CO

A homerun derby in Denver. Now that will be a sight to see!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

11 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

A homerun derby in Denver. Now that will be a sight to see!

Yeah, something involving baseball that won't make you sleep. 😛

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Does anyone else wish we could keep sports out of politics and politics out of sports? Can we not have just this one thing that does not get infected with the political cancer? Can we have just one thing that we all agree is good?

Nope. Jackie Robinson was an important part of history.

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It’s like me punishing you to protest something Hurlshot did. 

I only know Hurlsnot.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

55 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Nope. Jackie Robinson was an important part of history.

That was not baseball interjecting into politics. Or vice versa. That was about baseball on the field. That was fixing a problem inside the sport. This ASG business has nothing to do with baseball. Not the same thing. 

Edited by Guard Dog
Spelling

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Never forget that corporations are people, my friend 😛

you joke, but more than a few courts have used such reasoning to explain the otherwise inexplicable. corporations are legal entities (not same as "people"), and such has become the basis for protecting corporate donations as political speech.  more than a few observers who is ordinarily aggressive pro free speech, including Gromnir, were concerned 'bout dark money contributions getting out of hand if corporations were given new protections as well as being uncomfortable 'bout the unstable legal foundation 'pon which such cases relied. in the past, corporate speech had always been given less protection (in part to protect consumers, but also to keep mega corps in check,) but with fcc v. citizens united, we couldn't help but wonder why corporations were prevented from running for political office. the legal reasoning which allowed skamco business and it's affiliates to make anonymous campaign contributions (with no way to track who were perhaps contributing to the corporate political pacs including prohibited foreign money) should make it possible for disney or microsoft to hold office, which should be unthinkable.

the dark money problems didn't start with fcc v. citizens untied, and other campaign fuunding issues wouldn't entire go away if citizens united were overturned, but 'cause o' that case, corporations are indeed treated as people. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

America's unhealthy obsession with sports and celebrities I think is the core issue, it feeds into the stereotype that Americans are just loud and rowdy ignorant competitive barbarians ready to use swords and steel on anyone who disagrees with their policy.

49 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That was not baseball interjecting into politics. Or vice versa. That was about baseball on the field. That was fixing a problem inside the sport. This ASG business has nothing to do with baseball. Not the same thing. 

Edited by ComradeYellow

21 hours ago, Elerond said:

That would be the ruin of the rural ag states. Trump nearly broke with with his little trade war. 

Thomas Sowell