The All Things Political Thread (One thread to rule them all and in the darkness bind them)

Gorth

17 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

This is something that is very painful to every Polish citizen that have a family members who were killed during WWII for helping Polish citizens of Jewish heritage. Which is the case for many including myself. 

Some uneducated journalist tried to score some points by spitting on Poland trying to blame them for the death of 3 millions Jews during WWII. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-historians-under-attack-for-exploring-polands-role-in-the-holocaust/amp

The article is already redacted due to pressure from various sides. 

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/wireStory/auschwitz-museum-damage-yorker-article-76756245

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/jewish-organisation-ajc-says-poland-not-to-blame-for-3-million-holocaust-victims-20850

The author herself already tried to flip flop that she didn't wrote what she wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/gessen/posts/10158485093519398

Thanks for sharing this, I will go through these links later

I mentioned to you earlier that I was unaware of the harsh treatment that Poland has been subjected to by numerous countries through its history. And I am glad I know this now and that their is a movement in Poland to raise and discuss historical injustice that the Polish people have every right to discuss and be concerned about. The historical truth of events matters and needs to be told 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So, the rise of the machines in the street economy? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/meet-stretch-warehouse-worker-union-buster-boston-dynamics

Lets add to that some experimebts with drone deliveries, kiosk based shops and food outlets, burger flipping machines, etc. 

A lot of simple manual labor will be gone. I wonder what those people, will be doing? Women always have the OnlyFans, Instagram, etc. I guess. Men will be left behind, most likely driving crime rates higher. 

How to adapt unskilled labor to a new economy, where simple jobs are automated, and those people have not enough time or will to upskill themselves to some maintenance jobs?

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

@Gorth

https://culturedarm.com/the-crimean-referendums-of-1991-and-1994/

I never forgot to do that research on the debate we were having around the legitimate  or illegitimate  objectives of Crimea to join Russia. I found several articles that explained things in an interesting but overly complicated way but this discussion is complex and has several historical developments to it that make the final outcome and its legal validity nuanced

I posted the link above for you to reference as I found it to be overall fair and accurate. I dont really have the appetite to have this debate again at the moment but in the interests of consistency I wanted to stick to what I said I was going to do and get back to you after I did some research 

In summary from the article I agree with you that despite the 1954  decision of Khrushchev giving Crimea to Ukraine their was a rejection of what the Crimean  autonomous parliament wanted from Kiev from 1991 .  So yes you can make a valid argument that Crimea should have been able to join Russia but this process should have been  managed by the current Ukraine government and Russia together in a legitimate vote to ensure credibility....the annexing of Crimea was done in a unilateral way and that is not the way you achieve meaningful independence. But you are right IMO on several points you raised 

To summarize my new view on this from the link

Gorbachev’s new Union Treaty was never implemented: Ukraine couldn’t agree its terms, and by late 1991, the Soviet Union was dissolving. On 1 December, Ukraine held a referendum and Ukrainians voted for independence. This essentially marked the end of the Soviet Union. 54% of Crimean voters opted for Ukrainian independence, with the turnout in Crimea placed at 60%. Thus Ukraine became independent, and Crimea remained part of the newly independent Ukraine, retaining its autonomous status. Throughout 1992, the Crimean parliament made gestures towards full Crimean independence, but really sought to secure only greater autonomy from Kiev.

Perhaps more controversially – and as the refworld.org link details – in May 1992 the Crimean parliament established a Crimean constitution, and in September-October 1993 it established the post of President of Crimea. But in early 1994, after a polarising election campaign, Crimeans elected as their President a strongly pro-Russian candidate, Yuriy Meshkov. A power struggle between the Ukrainian parliament and the Crimean parliament commenced. Another Crimean referendum in March 1994 asked three questions: ‘1.3 million voted, 78.4% of whom supported greater autonomy from Ukraine, 82.8% supported allowing dual Russian-Ukrainian citizenship, and 77.9% favored giving Crimean presidential decrees the force of law’. Yet after more political turbulence – with the Crimean parliament voting to oust Meshkov in September – in March 1995 the Ukrainian parliament unilaterally abolished the post of President of Crimea, and scrapped the Crimean constitution. The Crimean parliament was forced to define a new constitution, which the Ukrainian parliament finally ratified in 1998.

So when the interim Ukrainian government today talks about the Crimean parliament’s lack of legislative power – when it comes to appointing a Prime Minister, and when it comes to calling a referendum – there is an argument that this power was taken from Crimeans by Kiev in an underhand, undemocratic, if not entirely illegitimate manner back in 1995.

Thanks Bruce. We might disagree on the finer details (and I'll still stand by my claim that Ukraine botched the legitimacy of their claims by sending in tens of thousands of troops, annexing it in the first place). But I hope we can agree upon the choice should have been made by the people of Crimea, neither Kiev nor Moscow.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And don't forget the honey from the Babylon Bee to go with your Onion: Sesame Street Introduces 'Todd', A White Male Muppet Who Is Blamed For Everything

I like the Babylon Bee a lot. But the Onion is better. It's wittier and more subtle IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

43 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

And don't forget the honey from the Babylon Bee to go with your Onion: Sesame Street Introduces 'Todd', A White Male Muppet Who Is Blamed For Everything

I like the Babylon Bee a lot. But the Onion is better. It's wittier and more subtle IMO.

GD I must say this is one of the funniest things I have ever come across on any satire website, just to quote from a few things that are still making  me laugh

• Todd-- a white male puppet who is blamed for everything wrong in the world
  • Todd's culpability regarding a distant ancestor who fought for the Confederacy
  • ignorant puppet who thinks some cops might be good

And my favorite 

• In a particularly jarring sketch, Todd is caught teaching kids to face life’s unfairness with hard work, self-sacrifice, and hope for the future

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Sorry Gftd you struck out again. Bay area UBI experiment excludes white residents

Being the eternal optimist Ive got my fingers crossed that someone will create a Chicago fund for Italian/Germans.

But seriously, when considering the eligibility requirement of the linked program, these families need it a lot more than I do. :yes: Im getting by and all, I just dont feel like doing it anymore and want someone to carry me into my golden years. Ive literally had an unbroken chain of employment for 34 years with only sporadic vacations over that span. Is it really asking to much to be provided the basics in life like; housing / medical / education / basic income / food / utilities?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Whitey dindu nuffin.

Absolutely correct, I am glad you have finally realized this. I hope you came to this inescapable conclusion due to my constructive words and accurate accounts of history 

I feel like a mother bird watching its chick take that first flight  out of the nest 

Well done my son, I am proud of you :thumbsup:

John Milton 

In the latest news from the world of the absurd the University of Oxford has a bunch of professors that want to ban sheet music. They say it has ties to colonial past and is racist and white supremacist. Classical Music. Racist. Not joking. 

Sometimes I read the news because I just can’t wait to see what comes next LOL! What the hell, why do this in half measure. Not only should it be banned from Oxford it should be outlawed everywhere. Every single tape, record, CD should be confiscated all digital files deleted and everyone who does not turn there is over should be ruthlessly hunted down like the mad dogs they are! All record of all composers of European descent  must immediately be erased they must become unpersons!

OK, maybe that would be going to far. Will have to see.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Darkpriest said:

@Gfted1 @Guard Dog

You guys will need a lot more of that sweet dollary-do, to catch up with rising prices. Gas and housing are in a runaway phase? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/us-home-prices-are-soaring-fastest-pace-7-years

You know I was thinking about buying a horse. One of my tenants has 100 some odd horses grazing on one of my properties. I was talking to them how it would be kind of cool to have one and he said he would sell one to me anytime I wanted. Wasn’t really planning on learn to ride. I was thinking more of just another big pet. But it’s certainly an option.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

15 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

@Gfted1 @Guard Dog

You guys will need a lot more of that sweet dollary-do, to catch up with rising prices. Gas and housing are in a runaway phase? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/us-home-prices-are-soaring-fastest-pace-7-years

I already have a house. Does that make me a fatcat?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

In the latest news from the world of the absurd the University of Oxford has a bunch of professors that want to ban sheet music. They say it has ties to colonial past and is racist and white supremacist. Classical Music. Racist. Not joking. 

Sometimes I read the news because I just can’t wait to see what comes next LOL! What the hell, why do this in half measure. Not only should it be banned from Oxford it should be outlawed everywhere. Every single tape, record, CD should be confiscated all digital files deleted and everyone who does not turn there is over should be ruthlessly hunted down like the mad dogs they are! All record of all composers of European descent  must immediately be erased they must become unpersons!

OK, maybe that would be going to far. Will have to see.

Shame the Telegraph didn't post the documents they read, the quoting in their article is making me feel like I'm reading the Mail, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I already have a house. Does that make me a fatcat?

What is the definition of a fatcat, we cant call people that word if we dont have an agreed on definition?

I dont think just owning property means you a fatcat?

John Milton 

"In the latest news from the world of the absurd the University of Oxford has a bunch of professors that want to ban sheet music. They say it has ties to colonial past and is racist and white supremacist. Classical Music. Racist. Not joking.  "

Black Metal Matters

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

29 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Shame the Telegraph didn't post the documents they read, the quoting in their article is making me feel like I'm reading the Mail, heh.

I did a Google search and it showing up in a bunch of different news sources. But they all appear to be quoting the same source which none of them name. That’s why I didn’t link 

Thomas Sowell

27 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I told you that two pages ago.

Dear god, its come full circle and Im part of the problem!

tenor.gif

25 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What is the definition of a fatcat, we cant call people that word if we dont have an agreed on definition?

As far as I can tell, its any individual (that has more than you), corporation or bank. For example, some bank lent me a tremendous amount of money at a laughable interest rate and then gave me 30 years to pay it back. But because they are making a profit off me, they are fatcats that need to be taken down a rung or two and should instead be paying me my due. Or something like that. Im kinda new to embracing this mantra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I told you that two pages ago.

LOL! What about a house and land too! I’m practically a plantation owner! Don’t worry Gftd, I’m the pantheon of evil you are not the worst.  

• Haha 2

Thomas Sowell

26 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL! What about a house and land too! I’m practically a plantation owner! Don’t worry Gftd, I’m the pantheon of evil you are not the worst.  

No, GD....no  my friend. You are definitely not a fatcat. You are clearly a fatdog :teehee:

John Milton 

45 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Dear god, its come full circle and Im part of the problem!

tenor.gif

As far as I can tell, its any individual (that has more than you), corporation or bank. For example, some bank lent me a tremendous amount of money at a laughable interest rate and then gave me 30 years to pay it back. But because they are making a profit off me, they are fatcats that need to be taken down a rung or two and should instead be paying me my due. Or something like that. Im kinda new to embracing this mantra.

That's how I imagine you. 

Between Gftd and me it’s clear. Hell is empty and all the Devils are here!

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Between Gftd and me it’s clear. Hell is empty and all the Devils are here!

I mean, you do talk about the piles of gold you have buried around your sprawling acreage pretty regularly. :-

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

4 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I mean, you do talk about the piles of gold you have buried around your sprawling acreage pretty regularly. :-

Thats a low blow Hurlshot and very unCalifornia liberal of you, I thought your side  dont judge others  who make prudent investments? You being very naughty :ermm:

John Milton