Crashes, repeated after most recent update

Just now, Stove said:

Private division sent me some questions about this issue,

I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you so that we can investigate this issue further:

1. What kind of playthrough have you followed for this save file? Are you killing every NPC that you encounter or are you trying to help everybody?
2. How much time have you spent on this save file so far? (You can see your Playtime when loading your save file) and roughly, how much of that time was spent on the DLC?
3. How far has your character progressed in the game? (Your level? What quest are you currently on? etc.)
4. Have you completed the Peril on Gorgon DLC on this save file? 
5. Is this a rollback saves? Meaning that the save was previously at Tartarus, but you created a new pre-Tartarus save?
6. How many save files in total do you have for Outer Worlds, autosaves included?
7. Are your save files stored on your Xbox's hard drive or on an external drive?
8. Are you playing The Outer Worlds through Game Pass?
9. Have you played in-between the release of version 1.5.0 (March 15th) and 1.5.1 (March 17th before 12pm GMT-5)
10. Was your save file created on Xbox One or Xbox Series?

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Not sure how these questions relate to the game crashing. I'm not very technically minded when it comes to gaming, perhaps someone on this forum might be able to make more sense of this. I appreciate them trying to help but I'd rather see solutions than questions.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I experience the same issue on Xbox Series X. The game crashes for me near the end of the game when saving (both manual or autosave):

Spoiler

on level 1 of Distillery after exiting the elevator and triggering conflict with infested in the first room after elevator on "The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the Vold" (helping Helen route)

The game was working fine till that area.

The answer to the questions are as follows:

1. What kind of playthrough have you followed for this save file? Are you killing every NPC that you encounter or are you trying to help everybody?
Helping everyone. All subquests for DLC are completed.
2. How much time have you spent on this save file so far? (You can see your Playtime when loading your save file) and roughly, how much of that time was spent on the DLC?
2 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes; 8 - 9 hours for the DLC
3. How far has your character progressed in the game? (Your level? What quest are you currently on? etc.)
Level 36.
4. Have you completed the Peril on Gorgon DLC on this save file? 
Yes.
5. Is this a rollback saves? Meaning that the save was previously at Tartarus, but you created a new pre-Tartarus save?
No. The save I've started with was on the ship before opening navigation console to go to Tartarus
6. How many save files in total do you have for Outer Worlds, autosaves included?
7. Are your save files stored on your Xbox's hard drive or on an external drive?
Xbox hard drive.
8. Are you playing The Outer Worlds through Game Pass?
No.
9. Have you played in-between the release of version 1.5.0 (March 15th) and 1.5.1 (March 17th before 12pm GMT-5)
No.
10. Was your save file created on Xbox One or Xbox Series?
I've started from a save point before Tartarus which was created on Xbox One. Then I've saved the game for the Murder on Eridanos in a new save slot on Xbox Series X

• Like 1

My game keeps crashing after crossing the first bridge to the Wilderness preserve. Fix your game please. Multiple people are experiencing this issue. I’ve seen people say that someone from Technical Support told them that they would have to start a new save file and go through the whole game again and I hope that’s seriously not the answer to this problem. 

• Confused 1

I'm going to take a random guess that the "crash on save" issue happens after your "total kill count" reaches certain number (perhaps the amount of enemies killed is stored in the save file?) - similar to what @Jerryjaska wrote.

I've performed the following test: in the area that causes the crash on save, I've killed enemies one by one, escaping after every kill using the nearby elevator and saving the game. The game would not crash after killing 3 enemies (one by one). I couldn't test further because the game glitched and took me to the final boss of the DLC. And then there is boss and it spawns minions so, the "total kill count" went up by about 10.

I had been playing relatively crash free. However when I try to enter Piraeus Spaceport the game crashes shortly after loading  into the zone. It only seems to do it when my character moves around or interacts with things.  But I didn't just go there to stand around. This is blocking all forward progress.

I'm on Xbox One X. And I have encountered crashes in this game before. But none like this one. It's concentrated on this zone. And is as stated before. Blocking all forward progress. My worry is that Obsidian just tossed this in the corner and won't be addressing the issue. Leaving me with a broken game experience.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response! I've forwarded your information to our QA team for review.

At this time, we don't have a solution for this issue, but we're aware of the reports online from other players and our QA team is investigating, so please keep an eye out for any updates.

In the meantime, I have not yet seen any confirmed reports of fresh new characters experiencing these issues, so it's possible that this only affects older save files that meets certain criteria. If you'd still like to play the DLC without waiting for a fix, I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Delete existing autosave files.
2. Clear your console's cache.
3. Create your new save file. The DLC can be accessed after unlocking the Stellar Bay Landing Pad, so it can be unlocked earlier than Peril on Gorgon, which requires completion of Radio Free Monarch.

I would also advise avoiding opening existing save data that are currently affected by the saving/crashing issue, at least until a fix is released. I don't have any evidence that this could lead the save to "corrupt" other save files, but it's better to be safe.

Just so all know I had already tried their suggestions prior to them suggesting them - to no avail. The game is simply bugged.

Thanks for your response! I've forwarded your information to our QA team for review.

At this time, we don't have a solution for this issue, but we're aware of the reports online from other players and our QA team is investigating, so please keep an eye out for any updates.

In the meantime, I have not yet seen any confirmed reports of fresh new characters experiencing these issues, so it's possible that this only affects older save files that meets certain criteria. If you'd still like to play the DLC without waiting for a fix, I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Delete existing autosave files.
2. Clear your console's cache.
3. Create your new save file. The DLC can be accessed after unlocking the Stellar Bay Landing Pad, so it can be unlocked earlier than Peril on Gorgon, which requires completion of Radio Free Monarch.

I would also advise avoiding opening existing save data that are currently affected by the saving/crashing issue, at least until a fix is released. I don't have any evidence that this could lead the save to "corrupt" other save files, but it's better to be safe.

Just so all know I had already tried their suggestions prior to them suggesting them - to no avail. The game is simply bugged.

I also tried all of the suggestions such as deleting auto saves and restarting dlc entirely. This did not help and the game still crashes at the exact same location and does not allow me to create any new saves. Really upsetting and infuriating. I will be quitting this game until it gets fixed. Huge disappointment!

• Thanks 1

Same here. Playing on Xbox One X. Constantly crashes when saving either manual or auto. Unable to finish Murder on Eridanos. I tried not fighting enemies, that got me a little further. But then there was a boss battle. Killed the boss and crashed. I've loved this game. It's very frustrating to be so close to finishing it and not be able to. I hope they release a patch soon!

• Like 1

I started a new save to play up to the DLC, however instead of crashing constantly in the new DLC, which i have yet to touch, im crashing constantly on the hope. Save is effectively locked as i can neither progress nor leave the hope to go do anything else.

Console type: xbox one

Game version: 1.5.5.696

DLC: All

When playing "Naked Hunch" and in the proximity of Spectrum Distillery.

• Across the bridge to Spectrum Distillery
  • Kill the all enemies
  • try to save = game crash
  • get close to the Spectrum Distillery building = game crash
Edited by DarkSpaceReaper

Seen a couple of posts floating around Reddit regarding this occurrence, wanted to document mine to hopefully gain some traction. Basically I'm at final quest of the main story, Brave New World. As many are aware, quest involves springing Phineas off of Tartarus.

You can either cloak yourself as a Halcyon guard and shoot your way in, however, either method produces the same result. Soon as you come close to the door to The Pit, the game will crash.

Have also tried without companions, new saves and previous saves, to no avail. Prior to this, I have completed both DLCs. The game is on the Series X's SSD. I have referenced a link to the reddit post, with many facing the same issue. This is preventing many from completing the game. I hope a fix can come soon.

SPOILERS: New Crash on Tartarus {Xbox} : theouterworlds (reddit.com)

Simple, any save type in Peril On Gorgon, new save, overwrite save, game crashes to dash board.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no success.

Playing without saving, will crash on location transition and have no progress kept.

Same issue for me as well on Series X, but with the Murder on Eridanos DLC, I had just finished the Gorgon DLC as the new Eridanos DLC dropped and I personally had no issues with the Gorgon DLC, perhaps the bug was introduced with the Eridanos DLC.

Oddly though, I have also made it through most of the Eridanos DLC without issue, but am entering what I believe is the final area... crashes on any type of save, auto or otherwise. Playing a Xbox Game Pass version of the game with the purchased Season Pass.

• Like 1

Also I have completed the DLC, Murder on Eridanos.

I moved the install from the Xbox SSD expansion to internal drive to see if that made any difference, no difference. Certainly seems like a SSD access issue.

(I have the Disc in the console)

Edited by Achtlos
more information

I've encountered the same issue after about 10-12 hours into the DLC. Whenever I approach the Wilderness Exploitation Area and attempt to either manually save or when the game attempts to auto save, the game crashes. I'm therefore unable to progress the DLC to its conclusion, thus I consider this to be a game-breaking bug that has rendered the DLC unplayable. This was extremely upsetting as I had waited to play this DLC until this past weekend, which were my first days off after working 15 days straight. 

As for the suggestion to start a new playthrough to create a different save file, that is not only a terrible suggestion to redo hours of work, but I've also read numerous reports from players on reddit and other social media who have in fact done this already only to encounter the same issue again with the game constantly crashing on them.

I strongly encourage Obsidian to make identifying and fixing this bug a PRIORITY. This game has earned a well-deserved reputation for quality with this amazing RPG entry, up to this point. It would be very disappointing if that reputation was tainted by this issue due to a lackadaisical response and/or untimely resolution. In the meanwhile, I've submitted a refund request to Microsoft for this DLC. I paid for a product with a reasonable expectation that it would work, and this DLC is currently unplayable for me. If and when this issue is fixed, I'll consider repurchasing it. I suggest other players reading this do the same. The more refunds requested from MS, the more likely there will be a potential SLA breach that will motivate Obsidian to address this issue quickly and satisfactorily (without forcing players to delete save files and redo hours of content).

This is essentially the same thread/topic as here. Can we get a moderator to combine them so that we don't have numerous and separate threads on the same topic? The larger one specific topic gets with replies, the more attention it will likely get from the developer.

• Amentep changed the title to Crashes, repeated after most recent update