Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

Heh, Trump referring to Pharma Bro as a "spoiled child" for bragging over making money. You don't read that every day.

• Haha 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

please keep in mind parkland is in florida. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The toss-up of whether this should go under "weird-interesting" or the tv thread...

Lucasfilm Hires YouTuber Behind 'The Mandalorian' Deepfake (gizmodo.com)

Finally, a story about deepfakes that’s free from the moral squishiness and consent issues that plague the people creating them. On Tuesday, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm confirmed that the company had hired a popular deepfake creator as a “senior facial capture artist” under the company’s computer graphics subsidiary, Industrial Light and Magic.

The creator, a UK-based YouTuber named Shamook, had recently garnered fame in the Star wars community after one of his deepfaked videos ended up going viral. The clip was specifically designed to improve the appearance of a young Mark Hamill during The Mandalorian season two finale and has racked up more than two million views on YouTube.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

The toss-up of whether this should go under "weird-interesting" or the tv thread...

Lucasfilm Hires YouTuber Behind 'The Mandalorian' Deepfake (gizmodo.com)

Undoubtedly so the Anti-Christ, Kathleen Kennedy, can destroy him.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To be honest, I'm surprised no one had done it earlier.  There's been a few people online using deepfakes to improve CGI recreations or de-aging of people for some time.  I don't think the technology should be shunned just because its possible to do some bad things with it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jon Travolta as Forrest Gump has to be one of the most disturbing applications of technology since that MS AI went full nazi and had to be shut down in less than 24 hours though.

Edited by 213374U
  • Gasp! 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Still doesn't mean the technology is bad, just that there are bad people willing to do bad things!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Still doesn't mean the technology is bad, just that there are bad people willing to do bad things!

Said by someone before the nanobots kill us all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Said by someone before the nanobots kill us all.

Are you saying the people-free nonobot only world would be bad? 😛 

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Are you saying the people-free nonobot only world would be bad? 😛 

Well, would mean no meetings....

• Like 2

225770034_2071593126335128_7419420073019

Pictured: Screenshots from Star Trek Episode 1.23: A Taste of Armageddon
Spock: [after hearing Anan 7 explain their system of computerised warfare] There is a certain scientific logic about it.
Anan 7: I'm glad you approve.
Spock: I do *not* approve. I *understand*.

This quote has always stuck with me. A lot of people don’t realise that understanding something is not the same as approving of something. This episode featured a civilisation where war was fought on computers, and instead of people dying in combat they would send the calculated amount of “causalities” into a camp to die. Kirk is outraged at the news, but Spock is less outwardly disapproving. He understands why the society might think their solution is best, and takes the time to think about why they're doing it.

Even though he can understand why, he still believes it is wrong, and he tell Anan 7 so.

The separation between understanding something, and approving of something is something that a lot of people seem to miss

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Rare Snowfall in Tropical Brazil

Snow has fallen in Brazil, an extremely rare event for the tropical country. Thanks to an intense cold snap, snow or freezing rain fell in at least 43 Brazilian cities on Wednesday and Thursday, according to weather service Climatempo.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

An air leak, again?? Do they try to kill everyone on the ISS or why does that keep happening?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On August 1, 1981 MTV went live. And it was awesome. I was a kid and we had just gotten a satellite dish and it was the greatest TV channel I’ve ever seen. Boy that didn’t last.

Well anyway, happy birthday to MTV. I don’t know what the M even stands for anymore. It sure ain’t music. Mediocrity maybe. But hey, we  will always have memories of the 80s.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

An air leak, again?? Do they try to kill everyone on the ISS or why does that keep happening?

It's the start of a B sci-fi movie called, "The Russian Module". 😲 Dun-dun-duuunnn...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."