Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

4 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

I have no idea where this came from

The post was a notice that a video that had been posted to the thread was removed by a moderator after review by the mod team.

The video consisted of a man beating a woman in an elevator in Yekaterinburg, Russia.  In the end of the video, the woman helped the man clean the elevator of their blood (he was bleeding when he came into the elevator indicating they'd been fighting elsewhere) reportedly to avoid having to pay to have the elevator cleaned after they realized they were on security camera.  Reports in the news  have also indicated the couple have been spotted having physical fights around town and have had the police called on them for other 'antisocial' activities (like playing their music too loud).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

We need a fight club thread.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

The post was a notice that a video that had been posted to the thread was removed by a moderator after review by the mod team.

The video consisted of a man beating a woman in an elevator in Yekaterinburg, Russia.  In the end of the video, the woman helped the man clean the elevator of their blood (he was bleeding when he came into the elevator indicating they'd been fighting elsewhere) reportedly to avoid having to pay to have the elevator cleaned after they realized they were on security camera.  Reports in the news  have also indicated the couple have been spotted having physical fights around town and have had the police called on them for other 'antisocial' activities (like playing their music too loud).

I'm sorry but the women was clearly beating the man.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

I'm sorry but the women was clearly beating the man.

Perhaps it'd be fairer to say "The video consisted of a man and woman beating on each other" as they both were fighting one another (and clearly had been before they got to the elevator).

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just now, Hurlsnot said:

It was a disturbing video no matter how you look at it. Domestic abuse is a difficult topic to discuss. Posting videos of it on a video game forum would seem to be very out of bounds.

But anything goes in the politics thread, there you have no issues?

Note that my comment was not to dredge up the discussion about the video again, but just to counter ComradeYellow's assertion that it was "some kind of illusory psychological stigma that has no basis on reality" because "(b)ased off of (his) life experience and interactions with the world, Russians and Chinese appear to be far more civilized and wise than the violent and angry people from North America".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sarex said:

But anything goes in the politics thread, there you have no issues?

I would have reported a domestic violence video there as well. 

I mean, we can discuss domestic violence without posting footage, if you would like. I just don't think that is going to go very long, as I would hope we would all be firmly in the 'oppose it' camp. 

I pretty much tune out the anti-American tripe that Comrade posts. It is perfectly fair to say that domestic violence is not limited to one geographic region or racial group, but he has a schtick that is pretty played out at this point.  

Just now, Amentep said:

Note that my comment was not to dredge up the discussion about the video again, but just to counter ComradeYellow's weird assertion that it was "some kind of illusory psychological stigma that has no basis on reality" because "ased off of [his] life experience and interactions with the world, Russians and Chinese appear to be far more civilized and wise than the violent and angry people from North America".

Which is nowhere near the truth, it's equally ****ty everywhere if you look down far enough. But I think his point was more to the matter of the propaganda that's being propagated in the western media that Russian/Chinese are barbaric and uncivilized, on that I agree with him. Although in my, limited and personal, opinion I think in China an individuals life is not worth that much. I still remember a video from a couple of years ago when a small child wandered on to a street and got run over by a truck, people were passing by her and not even acknowledging her let alone helping her, in the end her mother found her on the street when she went looking. I would think that has to do with the sheer amount of people living there, I can't even begin to imagine how that would be.

pass out the tissues for those who suffer

muppets version

maybe need some kinda weird factoid to make this relevant? hmmm. is s'posed the longest title ((hey won't you play) another somebody done somebody wrong song) o' any single to reach number 1 on the billboard top 100.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

24 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

It was a disturbing video no matter how you look at it. Domestic abuse is a difficult topic to discuss. Posting videos of it on a video game forum would seem to be very out of bounds.

You found that disturbing ? Looked like the usual fight videos I've seen (albeit this time outside of Spirit Airlines or a Wendy's).  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I would have reported a domestic violence video there as well. 

I mean, we can discuss domestic violence without posting footage, if you would like. I just don't think that is going to go very long, as I would hope we would all be firmly in the 'oppose it' camp. 

I pretty much tune out the anti-American tripe that Comrade posts. It is perfectly fair to say that domestic violence is not limited to one geographic region or racial group, but he has a schtick that is pretty played out at this point.  

Aha, I think I get it, for you domestic violence is different to regular violence. I personally don't make those kind of distinctions, violence is violence. What difference is there if it's between husband and wife or police and civilians.

Edited by Sarex

21 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Aha, I think I get it, for you domestic violence is different to regular violence. I personally don't make those kind of distinctions, violence is violence. What difference is there if it's between husband and wife or police and civilians.

To be fair, violence between police and civilians tends to have political implications and discussions around it. Footage of that type of violence tends to be considered more as evidence for any conversations around the point.

Domestic violence (between family members regardless of their positions within the family) tends to be a general social discussion, and is likely to hit more folks on the forum closer to home (no pun intended) due to more people likely to have experienced or been exposed to it.  I think the key question would be around was the video needed to make a point about the discussion or was it there simply to show off violence in a shock-horror way?

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

6 minutes ago, Raithe said:

To be fair, violence between police and civilians tends to have political implications and discussions around it. Footage of that type of violence tends to be considered more as evidence for any conversations around the point.

Domestic violence (between family members regardless of their positions within the family) tends to be a general social discussion, and is likely to hit more folks on the forum closer to home (no pun intended) due to more people likely to have experienced or been exposed to it.  I think the key question would be around was the video needed to make a point about the discussion or was it there simply to show off violence in a shock-horror way?

To me it was weird, random, interesting seeing two people beat the living crap out of each other, to only cool down and work together to fix their mess shortly afterward.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

You personally may not make any distinctions, but anyone who has to make decisions when judging violence rarely has that luxury. Which is why content has different ratings based on what it is depicted, why mitigating and aggravating factors exist for crimes, why there are different penalties for different kinds of violence, and so on and so forth.

On a personal note, I find that reasoning suspect in any case. For example, a bunch of grown men fighting over a slice of pizza is certainly nowhere near as serious, objectionable or appalling as an adult beating a dog. Both are violence, but I'd hope you agree that they aren't equal. Food for thought.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

As a mandated reporter and someone who deals with children affected by domestic violence on a somewhat regular basis, I would say there is a definite distinction. Not to take away from the disturbing images of police violence, protests, and general public mayhem, but what happens within a family unit behind closed doors is always going to hit a nerve with me. 

Honestly though, I don't even think anyone posted the 9-minute clip of George Floyd dying in the political thread. We were able to to have a full conversation on the matter without the video, just like we are having a discussion on domestic violence right now. It isn't 4chan (or whatever is the current hub of gross videos) and we don't need to see every violent clip to have a reasonable discussion.

I posted the video of Ashli Babbitt catching a 9mm slug in her neck multiple times and was no issue, heh.  Kind of funny that 😛

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 213374U said:

You personally may not make any distinctions, but anyone who has to make decisions when judging violence rarely has that luxury. Which is why content has different ratings based on what it is depicted, why mitigating and aggravating factors exist for crimes, why there are different penalties for different kinds of violence, and so on and so forth.

On a personal note, I find that reasoning suspect in any case. For example, a bunch of grown men fighting over a slice of pizza is certainly nowhere near as serious, objectionable or appalling as an adult beating a dog, for instance. Both are violence, but I'd hope you agree that they aren't equal. Food for thought.

And rape will get you longer sentence then beating someone (over a slice of pizza) until he is permanently injured or dead (if we are going to move goal posts) and I would think that someone being dead/severely disabled as opposed to violated is not equal either. I don't agree with much of those distinctions as I think they are done emotionally instead of objectively, but let's not go down that path. I gave a very clear example of what I was comparing and what I was talking about.

28 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

As a mandated reporter and someone who deals with children affected by domestic violence on a somewhat regular basis, I would say there is a definite distinction. Not to take away from the disturbing images of police violence, protests, and general public mayhem, but what happens within a family unit behind closed doors is always going to hit a nerve with me. 

Honestly though, I don't even think anyone posted the 9-minute clip of George Floyd dying in the political thread. We were able to to have a full conversation on the matter without the video, just like we are having a discussion on domestic violence right now. It isn't 4chan (or whatever is the current hub of gross videos) and we don't need to see every violent clip to have a reasonable discussion.

First of all the video in question did not involve a child, it did not even involve a helpless woman getting beaten, in fact I would go so far as to say that it was an equal exchange. If that is the way they chose to communicate, that's their thing. That it hits a nerve with you is your thing.

I'm pretty sure it was posted and I'm completely sure civil and war violence was posted multiple times before and after that occurrence.

Again let me reiterate that I do not care that the video is removed, it's site policy and not something that I get to or should decide. What grinds my gears is the subjective opinion that is being peddled as objective.

Edited by Sarex

Note again my comment was not to dredge up the discussion about the video again; by the nature of the way moderation works, there will always be subjective calls.  We rely on Fionavar to guide us to our decisions as he's the final arbiter for us as to what Obsidian wants.

Lets return the thread to weird-random-interesting things.