Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Im not sure. They did the same thing with a DNA study of Genghis Kahn back in 2010.

If Leonardo had no children then he can't have had actual descendants since you need children for that; and he is one of the more credible historical people to be labeled as homosexual*. OTOH, Temujin was notoriously heterosexual and had rather a lot of descendant; but then something like 99% of ethnic English people can trace their lineage back to at least one royal/ noble house because you double (meh, up to) the number of antecedents with every generation.

*my personal favourites are Fredrick the Great and Richard the Lionheart, mostly because the kind of people who typically idolise them hate the thought they might have been gay.

• Like 3

I don’t know if you guys saw this yesterday but a Burger King somewhere in the United States had the entire shift quit after management refused to fix the air conditioner in the kitchen. They changed the sign in front of the store saying we all quit sorry for the inconvenience. I thought that was funny as hell. Well it gets better. This morning the management change the sign to “now hiring all shifts“

:lol: sometimes the funniest things are the things that are not trying to be funny!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This whole situation is so wtf to me. If you read about how little they get paid in murica for the kind of work they have to do, it's a miracle that people keep up with it for so long.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

29 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

"Its hot in here, WE QUIT!"

Ownership has to hire new employees.

What am I missing?

One day the sign says "we quit" the next day it says "now hiring". I just found the dichotomy amusing because the AC still ain't fixed!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

39 minutes ago, Lexx said:

This whole situation is so wtf to me. If you read about how little they get paid in murica for the kind of work they have to do, it's a miracle that people keep up with it for so long.

Meh,  labor is a widget. It has a monetary value just like everything else. If the labor is overvalued the consumer price goes up but there is a limit on how much people will pay for sh--ty hamburgers. Theoretically at least. I would not eat that trash if it were free. 

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

It is also fair to say that labor will always be undervalued unless the laborers push for more value.

Communist.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Supposedly as I understand it - and I've only heard one side - the Lincoln, Nebraska Burger King was routinely understaffed with employees regularly working 60 hour weeks.  The manager was hospitalized due to dehydration after working long shifts in no air condition and was told by the upper management she was being a baby for complaining.  She put her two weeks in, several other employees quit since she was leaving as they knew her and not the upper management who had never bothered to even come to the store to review what was going on.  The employees put the sign up, since there was not going to be enough staff to keep the site open and upper management fired the manager.

Also, accordingly, there's a lot of turmoil in upper management according to the former manager, and that prior to her taking over the store, it had high turnover, which indicates - perhaps - an organization that is struggling with multiple problems at multiple levels.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

It is also fair to say that labor will always be undervalued unless the laborers push for more value.

Of course there is a break over point. Two words. Eastern Airlines. The strike is not what put them in the grave but it’s more than fair to say it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Thomas Sowell

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Meh,  labor is a widget. It has a monetary value just like everything else. If the labor is overvalued the consumer price goes up but there is a limit on how much people will pay for sh--ty hamburgers.

"but muh burger prices!11"

You know, maybe some people would spend more money on burgers if they would earn more money. And maybe the quality of the burgers would increase if the company would use the money to improve quality instead of filling their pockets as much as possible.

That being said, I just remembered that politicians argued unemployment benefits need to be cut down, because it's higher than minimum wage garbage jobs are paying and thus nobody wants to do those jobs anymore. Instead of increasing minimum wage, they keep trying to force people into slaving away. Americans truly are funny people.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

18 minutes ago, Lexx said:

That being said, I just remembered that politicians argued unemployment benefits need to be cut down, because it's higher than minimum wage garbage jobs are paying and thus nobody wants to do those jobs anymore. Instead of increasing minimum wage, they keep trying to force people into slaving away. Americans truly are funny people.

Actually I was reading that a number of fast food places are incentivizing new employees with over $15 an hour pay an additional benefits that were unheard of for minimum wage employees like tuition assistance. They are doing that because there is a labor shortage. Basic economics. When there is a shortage of widgets the cost of widgets goes up. When multiple buyers are competing for a limited pool of widgets the cost of widgets goes up.

Thomas Sowell

Why is there a shortage now? Because due to the pandemic, people realized they don't want to work for ****ty pay anymore. Guess this hypocritical "you are all heroes"-bs wasn't helping much either. Honestly, it's probably one of the good things that came out of the pandemic (at least in america, I guess).

Another theory I've read about why companies are increasing minimum wage all of a sudden is that they don't want new laws being introduced which force them into paying more, because those usually come with more strings attached than just increasing set minimum wage.

Edited by Lexx

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

One day the sign says "we quit" the next day it says "now hiring". I just found the dichotomy amusing because the AC still ain't fixed!

Now hiring. Fan required.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

I wanted to put this in funny, but too much blood...

Relationship goals?

It honestly doesn't look that it'll actually end that well..

Edited by 213374U
content removal

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

God bless Russian women.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It honestly doesn't look that it'll actually end that well..

If you read the comments, there is a link to a news site where she paints over all the cameras in the building...

• Haha 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

38 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Why is there a shortage now? Because due to the pandemic, people realized they don't want to work for ****ty pay anymore.

Partly, but I suspect there's other stuff at play in the US much as there is here- mostly the reciprocal to people not wanting to work for crap wages any more, ie companies not wanting to pay more when there's a labour shortage because they think they'll have to keep paying more when things go back to 'normal' instead of going back to the old wage depressing practises.

(Here we've had an endless litany of complaints from Hospitality and Agriculture about not being able to bring in indentured servants- slaves- from overseas any more due to the pandemic. A lot of the people coming in were looking for 3 year residency visas and would literally pay a finders' fee to be given a job here, they'd then be paid below minimum wage while living in a hovel and being charged exorbitant rent by their agent or emplyer, with no complaints because 3 years residency was the aim and rocking the boat would see them lose their job and their work visa rescinded. Oddly, New Zealand citizens don't seem keen on accepting the same sort of restrictions.

Mathematically, the cost of doubling wages for, say, apple picking would add a monumental 3c per apple to the cost, or about 20c/kg- and we had orchardists complaining about literal tons of fruit going to waste because they couldn't get staff to work at $20/hour 12 hours a day all weather for 6 weeks straight then out on your ear no benefits, all out in the boonies. You can bet they'd get a lot more takers if they were paying $40/hour, they'd probably be swamped with applicants even with it being short term.

Absolutely hilarious watching the people who'd been spouting laissez faire rhetoric about paying the market rate and 'living wages' etc being communism a couple of years ago suddenly wanting government intervention when the same laissez faire market rates means they have to pay people more)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Why is there a shortage now? Because due to the pandemic, people realized they don't want to work for ****ty pay anymore. Guess this hypocritical "you are all heroes"-bs wasn't helping much either. Honestly, it's probably one of the good things that came out of the pandemic (at least in america, I guess).

Another theory I've read about why companies are increasing minimum wage all of a sudden is that they don't want new laws being introduced which force them into paying more, because those usually come with more strings attached than just increasing set minimum wage.

I doubt it. That will happen regardless of what employers do. We are over 10% inflation right now and it’s predicted to double in five years (by the WSJ). That alone is going to drive up wages even as it sabotages buying power. Companies that employ minimum wage workers don’t long-term plan for labor costs. I think this is purely reactionary because they need to incentivize a limited workforce to come to them. Although this will probably auto correct as extended unemployment benefits begin to expire. 

One thing the lockdown of the pandemic he did accomplish is demonstrate peoples ability to earn money on their own by participating in the “gig economy”. I’ve used Instacart a few times. Maybe more than a few times. Going to the grocery store is not one of my favorite activities. I’m more than happy to shop online and pay a few bucks to have somebody deliver it to me. It’s usually the same guy that does my deliveries and I’ve gotten to know him so I tip him well. I don’t know how busy he is but he’s probably making more money delivering groceries any ever would be stocking them or cashing them out. I think services like that, door dash, Uber are a beautiful thing.

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Partly, but I suspect there's other stuff at play in the US much as there is here- mostly the reciprocal to people not wanting to work for crap wages any more, ie companies not wanting to pay more when there's a labour shortage because they think they'll have to keep paying more when things go back to 'normal' instead of going back to the old wage depressing practises.

(Here we've had an endless litany of complaints from Hospitality and Agriculture about not being able to bring in indentured servants- slaves- from overseas any more due to the pandemic. A lot of the people coming in were looking for 3 year residency visas and would literally pay a finders' fee to be given a job here, they'd then be paid below minimum wage while living in a hovel and being charged exorbitant rent by their agent or emplyer, with no complaints because 3 years residency was the aim and rocking the boat would see them lose their job and their work visa rescinded. Oddly, New Zealand citizens don't seem keen on accepting the same sort of restrictions.

Mathematically, the cost of doubling wages for, say, apple picking would add a monumental 3c per apple to the cost, or about 20c/kg- and we had orchardists complaining about literal tons of fruit going to waste because they couldn't get staff to work at $20/hour 12 hours a day all weather for 6 weeks straight then out on your ear no benefits, all out in the boonies. You can bet they'd get a lot more takers if they were paying $40/hour, they'd probably be swamped with applicants even with it being short term.

Absolutely hilarious watching the people who'd been spouting laissez faire rhetoric about paying the market rate and 'living wages' etc being communism a couple of years ago suddenly wanting government intervention when the same laissez faire market rates means they have to pay people more)

Which is why automation will save us.  

The quicker we eradicate the working class, (as a social entity) the more egalitarian we become.

Stalin and the paleo Marxists had it wrong, it's not liquifying the upper classes that will ensure a better society, it's eliminating the need for workers totally and utterly that will augment society as a whole!

Canned the Russian fisticuffs post. This is the Weird, random and interesting thread. A couple beating the living **** out of each other may be random, but it's mostly just sad.

Post better content, please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Canned the Russian fisticuffs post. This is the Weird, random and interesting thread. A couple beating the living **** out of each other may be random, but it's mostly just sad.

Post better content, please.

The interesting part was after the "argument", but whatever. Still a strange line to set, when there were post here of people shooting each other, police brutality and war crimes. Either those things are allowed or they are not, it's not the mods job to rate the "quality" of a post.

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

The interesting part was after the "argument", but whatever. Still a strange line to set, when there were post here of people shooting each other, police brutality and war crimes. Either those things are allowed or they are not, it's not the mods job to rate the "quality" of a post.

Generally speaking, some leeway has been provided in political/topical news to provide context to current events that made be of national or international interest.  A man and woman having a bloody and protracted fight in an elevator was determined to not meet that standard. That said, we are human and as the moderator team changes so too will the views of the moderator team, but no human is perfect.  If you wish to object to how the moderator team reviewed the now removed post, please contact @Fionavar.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Generally speaking, some leeway has been provided in political/topical news to provide context to current events that made be of national or international interest.  A man and woman having a bloody and protracted fight in an elevator was determined to not meet that standard. That said, we are human and as the moderator team changes so too will the views of the moderator team, but no human is perfect.  If you wish to object to how the moderator team reviewed the now removed post, please contact @Fionavar.

It's a stupid post that I don't care was removed, it just seems like a strange line in the sand to draw, especially the comment about posting better content... Who gets to decide what is good content, you guys?

Anyways, I'll try to not post things like this anymore.

Edited by Sarex