Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

over the years we had more than a few people functional working for us on complex cases. the thing is, not everybody learns the same way. ultimately we were teaching w/o having time to teach, which kinda sucks for interns and junior associates. nevertheless, we were aware that while some individuals could complete time sensitive tasks after receiving brief verbal instructions, other individuals needed more or different. were ez to dismiss the tactile or visual learners as dumb, but from our pov such were a waste o' talent. 

am suspecting work remote is gonna be fine and even a boon for many. emails, texts and zoom (or whatever) is more than enough to get your people all on the same page and working towards your desired goal right?

*chuckle* 

given our current situation, "working" from home is ideal and even if we weren't spending our days in margaritaville (sans the booze,) if am reflecting on last few years o' employment, working from home would be great save for fact we live remote from where were our office and having documents couriered back and forth would be costly-- can't just scan the important stuff, and is all important.  that said, am knowing more than a few excellent interns and junior associates who woulda' failed if they were having to work solo from home. those persons needed more than zoom and email and they frequent needed each other. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Radboars

pit down some corn, climb up on an overpass and wait for them to find it. Break out the Fat Man and drop one mini-nuke on them. Then go see what they had. Besides one bottle cap and a few rounds of .38

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

How great working from home is/can be depends on the work itself. Not everything works well (or at least "better") from a work/learning/management and business point of view (vs. personal convenience re: commute/time etc).  So ... just depends.  What the pandemic has done tho is made more people realize/decide they like working from home over any other consideration, thus want a job where such does work really well.

Hubby's company (a lot of engineer/land survey work, with gov. contracts) spent money on setting up "everyone" to work from home and said they were going to allow that even after the pandemic.  Months later, they are now saying they've noticed a large drop in productivity (I do not know their definition of such) and are starting to push people back into the office.  It's entirely possible they will allow people to work from home half the week and iin-office the other half, that type of thing. Like in-office M-W, or Tu-Thu. Or do shifts of some kind so half are at home, half in the office etc. No one knows for sure yet.

Hubby loves working from home and with his specific tasks, he will get more done, quicker, when alone at home (or even at the office - he'd often come home then go back at night when everyone else had gone home to "actually get work done", hah) but even he acknowledges that he does not get the same kind of employee/co-worker input, co-ordination/communication and learning/teaching moments that way. So with his specific position (the IT guy who keeps it all background running) and his company, a middle ground can and likely will be reached. Companies need time to figure out what works best for them and employees.  But again ... depends on your job. I think the vast majority of workers are going to find there are not enough of the type of jobs around where all that actually want to do so can work from home all the time. 

Unless you create your own job/entrepreneur, of course.

Edit: productivity can also be affected because let's face it, there are a lot of people that without a structured environment, do not manage their time well - add on potential distractions of home/spouse/family etc and (can) get a fairly inefficient worker.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^  That Ford image reminds me of a video I watched this morning re: food industry (restaurants from fancy to fast food) having trouble getting people back to work for them. One place mentioned that in desperation, after getting zero applicants, they raised their starting wage by double - and suddenly had tons of people applying/wanting the job.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Portal to hell opened in the Gulf of Mexico earlier today:

cfinmUftuQ.gif

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 3
  • Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210628-concrete-the-material-that-defines-our-age

"There is so much concrete in the world that soon it will outweigh all living matter – including us. In the latest in our Anthropo-Scene series, we explore the material's global reach, occasional beauty, and unimaginable scale."

The first half is of this is a love song to concrete (yes, Australian bands are a bit odd at times)...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The "weirdest" bird in all of Kiwidom... the Kea. For whatever evolutionary reason, it's obsessed with rubber in particular and plastic as a second choice it there is no rubber to nibble on. You can find warning signs at parking lots that the area is home to Keas (park at your own risk) 😁

Here a pair of Keas are tearing apart a police car (nobody's safe)

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A Tale of Two Dakotas

All of the politics behind the admittance of Puerto Rico and Washington DC as a state got me thinking. With the exception of the original 13 I don’t think any state has ever been admitted to the union without consideration of its political demographics. Prior to the Civil War no slave territory would be admitted without also admitting a free territory. That is largely what the Missouri Compromise that saw Maine get carved out of Massachusetts and Missouri added as a slave state was about. After the CW the same politics have been applied (mostly) only it was the D vs R politics that are considered. If Puerto Rico were likely to lean Republican their application for Statehood (although I think there is far more interest in DC than in San Juan) would be DOA. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

More UFO stuff

I’m sure there is a logical explanation. And that does not rule out that the logical explanation is aliens. But, that probably shouldn’t be the first club out of the bag.

Thomas Sowell

Denmark doesn't have any mountains, so they have to (over)compensate in other ways...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-57757530

"Standing at just over 21m, the world's tallest sandcastle has been built in the town of Blokhus in Denmark.

The structure, reinforced with glue and clay, took 4,860 tonnes of sand to make.

It is open to visitors and will stand in place until the winter."

Denmark's highest point is Ejer Bavnehøj Møllehøj, 170 meters above sea level. I suppose it's why climate change is considered a threat. Rising sea levels might make it the second country after the Maldives to disappear 😝

Edit: Although The Netherlands is definitely part of that competition too...

Edit2: A picture. The sand has been "reinforced" and contains 10% clay (the BBC article did mention they would like it to stick around until winter)
World's tallest sandcastle unveiled in Denmark | wkyc.com

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:31 AM, Guard Dog said:

More UFO stuff

I’m sure there is a logical explanation. And that does not rule out that the logical explanation is aliens. But, that probably shouldn’t be the first club out of the bag.

Unidentified fuzzy object

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

pets are not toys which is ok to outgrow. post pandemic pets sudden become an inconvenience and are discarded? 

is not as if you can public shame these people either 'cause you know the folks who would abandon their cat or dog at a shelter would just as likely kick fido out o' the car 50km from nowhere if the alternative were having their name displayed on some kind animal control/shelter website as somebody who returned their pet... probable act offended at the government trying to public ridicule hardworking americans just trying to go back to work.

we knew this were gonna happen. 'tween folks dying from covid and leaving behind pets and now the d-bags who is sudden inconvenienced by pet ownership returning their boon companions, we knew this were gonna happen. were a similar dynamic during and after the great rescission. once the moratorium on evictions is lifted, am suspecting the situation will get even worse for pets.

sucks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

An actual Australian kids show from the 90's... a lot of this stuff probably wouldn't go down well in the rest of the world

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Are they still his descendants if they aren't descended from him?

I think the report talks about Da Vinci descendents, not specifically Leonardo, going back to Leo's great, great grandfather and exploring five major branches of the male lineage (as they're tracking the Y chromosome).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man