Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

https://meaww.com/disney-loki-copyright-attempt-artist-artwork-taken-down-twitter-reactions

Who owns 'Loki'? That's the new question Disney fans are debating after the company had an artwork removed from Redbubble over the weekend. An angry artist shared that his work had been taken down from the site, "because it may contain copyright material". That got social media talking about who really owns the God of Mischief.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

199263262_349282760150377_38252928815227

1. My interpretation of the meaning of the quote is that events and people in history should not be falsely made to look better or worse than they really were in order to advance the preferred narrative of a group (be it a liberal group, a conservative group, a religious organization, or any other group). I also don't believe unpleasant history should be ignored or covered up in the name of keeping people "blissfully ignorant." I think doing that creates a bigger risk history repeating itself. We in America need to teach about the times our country's government and its citizens didn't live up to the ideals the U.S. is supposed to be based on in order to prevent future injustices and tragedies.

2. I'm seeing a lot of comments here about confederate statues. Though I don't think every confederacy-related statue has to be taken down, I have supported the removal or relocation of several such monuments over the years. I think any monument should be either moved to an appropriate museum or decommissioned entirely when it (a) distorts historical facts or makes a false historical claim, (b) glorifies or celebrates (instead of simply documenting or raising awareness of) an evil action, (c) was commissioned with the specific purpose of intimidating an ethnic or religious community, or (d) any combination of a, b, and c. There's definitely some confederacy-related monuments that meet a, b, c, and d, and taking those ones down does not erase history - it defends it. I do think there's merit in preserving some monuments related to the confederacy that mark places of historical significance and that don't attempt to excuse or justify slavery or rebellion. I also understand that there can be reasonable debate over whether a particular statue meets those standards. However, maintaining confederate statues was not a priority for me when I made this post.

• Like 1

For a little general cleanser of life...

204119990_1503118586703857_2694043863714

Not completely accurate, but a certain kernel of truth about the Kami-Shirataki train station.

• Like 1

Almost in the funny thread...

Buzzfeed - A Former NRA President Was Tricked Into Speaking At A Fake High School Graduation

Instead, the 3,044 empty seats represented the students who did not graduate this year because they were killed by gun violence.

• Sad 1

I know he's trying to relate to game addiction, but even if you remove that aspect, this is still me to a T.  Especially the part where everyone told me as a kid how I was so smart/special and now I feel so stupid. Or something. So now I just say "I'm lazy."   :shifty:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

E5GIKN-VcAQ8Noh?format=jpg&name=medium

It is in my class.

Technically we divide it up into more units over a couple years of teaching history. Aztec and Maya get their own lessons. Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico blend with the Age of Exploration, and the Northeastern stuff is all separate. In California, we also focus specifically on the California tribes at one point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh God here I go again. I just can’t help myself. THE SEMINOLE WERE NOT IN FLORIDA! Not until the treaty that ended the first war in the 1820s. THEN they moved down into central Florida. Then South Florida after kicking the army’s ass in the next wars. They lost eventually and ended up in Big Cypress which kind of sucked for the Miccosooke who were already there. Speaking of which where are they on this map? Don’t see the Apalachees either! Nor the Chicks! NOT HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.

i’m sorry guys. I’m so ashamed but I just can’t help myself.😆

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

E5GIKN-VcAQ8Noh?format=jpg&name=medium

Because life yields to the conqueror.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Oh God here I go again. I just can’t help myself. THE SEMINOLE WERE NOT IN FLORIDA! Not until the treaty that ended the first war in the 1820s. THEN they moved down into central Florida. Then South Florida after kicking the army’s ass in the next wars. They lost eventually and ended up in Big Cypress which kind of sucked for the Miccosooke who were already there. Speaking of which where are they on this map? Don’t see the Apalachees either! Nor the Chicks! NOT HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.

i’m sorry guys. I’m so ashamed but I just can’t help myself.😆

The problem is there's no real dates listed, so it seems more generically representational than representative of an actual historical period.  I'd imagine the Apalachee, Miccosuke, Alabama and others are being lumped into the Creek/Creek Confederacy area.  They don't have the Tunica either, but maybe they're lumping them in with the Biloxi because they're linked in modern day.  The map also doesn't list the peoples that De Sota met/wiped out that merged with/became the Choctaw either.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It seems to be a linguistic map, not a tribal map.

Edit: I guess the correct term would be political or nation map, rather than tribal. I always have to spend time explaining the difference between the settled civilizations of the Aztec and Maya and the migratory nature of the groups in the north.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

It seems to be a linguistic map, not a tribal map.

Edit: I guess the correct term would be political or nation map, rather than tribal. I always have to spend time explaining the difference between the settled civilizations of the Aztec and Maya and the migratory nature of the groups in the north.

Except the Navajo.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Employees are quitting rather than going back to the office

well, that’s sort of what I did. Although if I could’ve gone back to the same office I used to work in I would have. The new office was in southern Memphis. Who the hell needs that? 

to tell you the truth so I would’ve thought the last year would’ve demonstrated the economic value of a remote workforce. Offices are cost. First the rental is usually by the square foot. There is electricity, cleaning service, cafeteria/commissary, and your workforce is usually only productive during the hours they are in the office. Working from home literally turns them home into the workplace. Anytime they are there they are working. Productivity goes up and it cost you less to get it. People working from home by their own coffee and provide their own electricity and internet connection. You are paying less for each productive hours and getting more hours from them. And they thank you for doing it! To me it’s a no-brainer.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Yeah, but if people work from home, how do all the micromanagers justify their existence?

Spyware

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

My favorite excuses for making people go back in the office are "that's the way we've always done it" and "I like being surrounded by other people."

One of the companies I was consulting for is absolutely feasting on all the people quitting because they want to continue working from home and their former employers were forcing them back in the office. I've also been seeing news stories about a lot of larger companies rethinking their in office requirements. The company I'm with now is full time remote until September or October when they may go to one or two days in the office with the possibility of staying fully remote. If they go back to in office more than a couple days a week then I'll be looking for something else too.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Eh, I find the best isn't all WFH or no WFH, but just being flexible is fine.  For me, I don't mind as it's change of scenery and excuse to walk 3 miles a day. Others have 2 hour commutes which is no fun with families, etc.  Even with that, some coworkers still like to come in every day just to see coworkers and sometimes collaboration is just easier in person than screensharing on Teams.  

Also WFH does run the risk of either the employee or the employer blurring the lines between work and regular life.  Since the pandemic sent us all home, have noticed many of my coworkers work stupid hours and management also begins to assume people are available past hours they'd usually clock off at.

The thing with working from home is you no longer have the casual chats with the people in the desks nearby or that communal back and forth at the drinks machine and in the cafeteria.  The only time you actually talk to the people you work with is official meetings, or when making calls to ask specific questions, not to engage in a couple of moments of free-form conversation or spark ideas on whatever you're working on.

It's no longer a "I can throw an idle question at so-and-so the desk over when I'm having a problem with some are of work", but more of a wait until its significant enough to actually make time to do a microsoft teams call to someone about that specifically..

It's got lots of benefits on flexibility and not wasting time on travel, but then it does tend to kill some of those small moments of engagement.

6 hours ago, Raithe said:

The thing with working from home is you no longer have the casual chats with the people in the desks nearby or that communal back and forth at the drinks machine and in the cafeteria.  The only time you actually talk to the people you work with is official meetings, or when making calls to ask specific questions, not to engage in a couple of moments of free-form conversation or spark ideas on whatever you're working on.

It's no longer a "I can throw an idle question at so-and-so the desk over when I'm having a problem with some are of work", but more of a wait until its significant enough to actually make time to do a microsoft teams call to someone about that specifically..

It's got lots of benefits on flexibility and not wasting time on travel, but then it does tend to kill some of those small moments of engagement.

I tend to look at the benefits... no office toilets (shared between multiple companies), nobody at the next table believing his ocd tapping with his pen against the table rivals Jon Bonham's drumming skills, no cacophony of sales guys constantly pacing around in circles behind your back yelling at their mobile phones, nobody next to you that is convinced his exotic seaweed food is better off eaten in front if his screen rather than the lunch room (never mind that the whole area stinks like stagnant ocean air for the rest of the the day)... can't say I miss it much.

(If I ever get to sit next to an ocd "leg twitcher" in an office again, I might end up behind bars... after ripping if his legs)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein