Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

The new list of the top 10 most livable cities in the world

Kudos to NZ and Japan for putting two in the top 10. Australia said “hold my Fosters “ and got four! The only city I've been to on this list was Tokyo. And I only spent one night there. I remember it was really, really, seriously big. 

I noticed Covington TN didn't make the list. Curious. I'm sure it was just an oversight! :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've had BOINC using my idle cycles across my PC's going back 20 years now...

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

8 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/173247/travel-flanders-hyperloop-elon-musk-train-amsterdam-schiphol-antwerp-brussels-hilde-crevits-innovation/

Heh, only in America!  I mean who needs high speed rail and Maglev?  Elon Musk, our lord and savior, is going to bring us Hyperloop!

I suppose you can leave the helmet and seat belts... I mean, what would be the point?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I suppose you can leave the helmet and seat belts... I mean, what would be the point?

Let's just say that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if silly Americans gobbled this **** up rather than, you know, invest in more established ways of rail transportation.  Germany, China, and Japan are now competing for the fastest maglev.  Japan in particular is going all in and wants to build a super expensive maglev line from Tokyo to Okara, which would cut the trip down to 69 minutes which is faster than air.

Americans will, likely, go for the silly option of course so the end result is we'll get something little better than a carnival ride that still can't beat maglev (initial ambitions called for 1000 km/h but realists guage in reality it'll be about half that).

What if California divided into two states? It almost happened.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Southern California shall rise again!

(Or should I say Colorado?)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On the same topic: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-06-14/california-defies-doom-with-no-1-u-s-economy

I know a number of people who moved out of the Bay Area in the last year. As much as I daydream about the idea, the reality is the grass is rarely greener. A bunch of them ended up in Texas right before the Snowpocalypse.

It was easy for them to leave because the housing market is on fire. They were able to sell properties and pocket a ton of equity. Which says two things:

1. There is still a tremendous amount of people who want to live and buy houses in the Bay Area.

2. It will be very difficult to move back if they decided to change their minds.

5 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

1. There is still a tremendous amount of people who want to live and buy houses in the Bay Area.

2. It will be very difficult to move back if they decided to change their minds.

re: 1 - I think it's partly because of all the up and coming startups, tech and biotech jobs, big famous companies.
re: 2 - this is very true for most.

The grass can be greener in some aspects in other areas, but it highly depends on one's job and job prospects. imo, if one is mostly only concerned with "more house for less money", that's true. But it's always going to be an unpredictable decision. Could work out much better. Could not.  That is life, no matter where you live.

And massive inflation is going to happen almost anywhere.  I think it's going to get pretty bad, that inflation (not talking about just home buying) over the next decade. The notion of "needing" around a million to retire (before you're 70+...) is probably going to go way up again.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

According to one poll New Jersey is the best state to live in

Really? I’d love to hear the sample size on this one. Probably like 10 or 15 people between Ocean city and exit 12

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

On 6/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, Raithe said:

I've had BOINC using my idle cycles across my PC's going back 20 years now...

Sounds a bit like the protein folding project people used to run instead of screensavers 👍

Remember the old jokes about dropping off your baby in the forest and if it survives, it's strong enough?

Not quite as drastic... Danish forest kindergardens, home of feral Danes 😁

• Gasp! 1

15 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

According to one poll New Jersey is the best state to live in

Really? I’d love to hear the sample size on this one. Probably like 10 or 15 people between Ocean city and exit 12

😄 Money managers working in the Washington D.C. area decide that New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts are some of the best places to live. Ah... sure.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 hours ago, Raithe said:

18589071_10158682390575510_4189065479129

I like this, but glasses are much different than taking medication. I'd be concerned about taking a pill to improve my eyesight for the rest of my life because there is a good chance there could be side effects. 

Glasses are a simple fix for a disability. They aren't necessarily prefect and they don't really fix the problem. But I do believe we need to focus on more simple fixes in mental health. Do you exercise every day? Do you practice good nutrition? I'm not saying these should be used instead of medication, but they should be the first steps.

I've had a lot of students over the years with different levels of ADHD. Some relied on medication. It worked. They'd sit at the front of the class and get their work done quietly. But it also seemed to stifle them. I had one student who dramatically changed his diet. He would also constantly need to move around. I set him up in the back of the class with some standing desks and basically gave him free reign to roam. He still did great at the work and he was able to avoid meds. I still get updates from his family, since I taught a number of their kids, and he has thrived as he has gotten older. This is only one specific scenario, I can't say it is the right solution for every kid. But I think we need to be open to finding the best natural options for every kid before we commit to meds.

• Like 1