Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

1d76e47523079b6c09935d2571ac9d0651113a60

6bda740d5461cf47d5ac8e2a024ad85e11176815

Can you imagine transferring into a unit and finding a bear walking by carrying a box of explosives?

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/horrifying-video-shows-mice-raining-24090384

Repent thy evil ways Australians!

(Boy speech to text had fun with that sentence LOL)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

B_V9d7iUgAAb_1Z.jpg

bleeding-tooth-fungus-xxx1555.jpg

This is the Bleeding Tooth Fungus or Hydnellum peckii or even Strawberries and Cream. The red is not blood but sap that oozes from excess water absorption. Despite its appearance, it isn't toxic but it is considered unpalatable due to its bitterness.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/is-bleeding-tooth-fungus-safe.htm

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 3

1 hour ago, LittleArmadillo0 said:

images

This is the Bleeding Tooth Fungus or Hydnellum peckii or even Strawberries and Cream. The red is not blood but sap that oozes from excess water absorption. Despite its appearance, it isn't toxic but it is considered unpalatable due to its bitterness.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/is-bleeding-tooth-fungus-safe.htm

recognizing the perversity o' human nature, am suspecting the bitterness were a known quality before the question of toxicity were resolved. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Replika: an AI imaginary friend

I bet the more you talk to it the more information that gathers about you. Five bucks says the bitch stealing stealing your passwords!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

America threatened by solar storm activity

this is an interesting article about a problem that’s not uncommon. But God help me when I saw the headline my brain went here first:

image.jpeg.81bbaa26c90f198bad391f94afec65c1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

The story of David "Radioctive Boy". A young man with an obsessive compulsive disorder that forces him to build nuclear reactors... sounds weird? Probably one of those young men who is sort of part mad, part genius once you realize how far he got before getting caught (and later joined the navy, serving on a nuclear powered carrier). Also covers his tragic end after military service and he just couldn't resist trying to build a nuclear reactor at home.

• Gasp! 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

15 hours ago, Gorth said:

The story of David "Radioctive Boy". A young man with an obsessive compulsive disorder that forces him to build nuclear reactors... sounds weird? Probably one of those young men who is sort of part mad, part genius once you realize how far he got before getting caught (and later joined the navy, serving on a nuclear powered carrier). Also covers his tragic end after military service and he just couldn't resist trying to build a nuclear reactor at home.

vid

wait a sec. while in the navy, the kid were diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and were medicated... at which point he joins the marines and eventual reaches a rank o' lance corporal.

way too ez.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How hundreds of “Jeopardy!” contestants talked themselves into a baseless conspiracy theory — and won’t be talked out of it.

I should stress again that these are smart people, who were in general more polite than the journalists who reluctantly take my calls most weeks. And that, I think, is the point here. The contestants’ investigations of Mr. Donohue had all the signal traits of a normal social media hunt gone awry — largely, that you assume your conclusion and go looking for evidence. And they followed the deep partisan grooves of contemporary politics, in which liberals believed the absolute worst of a Trump supporter. But they also contained a thread of real conspiracy thinking — not just that racism is a source of Trumpian politics, but that apparently ordinary people are communicating through secret signals. It reflects a depth of alienation among Americans, in which our warring tribes squint through the fog at one another for mysterious and abstruse signs of malice.

Well said

Thomas Sowell

33 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

education is ordinary the most common factor for conspiracy theory indulgence o' americans. obvious there is exceptions.  not race or sex or intelligence, but education (less) and the belief you has been getting the fuzzy end o' the lollipop is the common factors.

am recalling when hiv were a more common daily topic. is a few minority communities which to this day see high % o' people insist that aids were an engineered disease created by governments to kill perceived undesirables, and as wacky as that sounds, if you is a minority you probable got a relative who believes such with deep fervor. try and get a minority politician to disavow that conspiracy is incredible difficult. 

education and conspiracy are ordinarily linked, but the increased polarization o' our nation has made a whole lotta folks a bit more stoopid. don't know if it makes us feel better or worse to know the jeopardy crowd is equal susceptible to stoopid if it confirms their biases.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

wait a sec. while in the navy, the kid were diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and were medicated... at which point he joins the marines and eventual reaches a rank o' lance corporal.

way too ez.

HA! Good Fun!

Lance corporal is like a participation trophy. As long as you see lightning and hear thunder and can complete a PFT you’ll get the rank. It’s getting past it that is a little hard

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

33 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Lance corporal is like a participation trophy. As long as you see lightning and hear thunder and can complete a PFT you’ll get the rank. It’s getting past it that is a little hard

attaining lance corporal were the part o' that which you focused?  you saw the portion before the conjunction, yes? you are unfazed by the participation necessary to get the trophy?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

25 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

attaining lance corporal were the part o' that which you focused?  you saw the portion before the conjunction, yes? you are unfazed by the participation necessary to get the trophy?

HA! Good Fun!

Well it was a Simon Whistler video. I love that guy I subscribe to all of his channels. The biography channel is my favorite. but his analysis was right imagined with that boyis mind could’ve done if he had had a little guidance. I was just more responding to what you said about making it all the way to Lance Corporal like that was in achievement. I just got a chuckle out of that. I could see how his mental health issues could go unnoticed though. I don’t know how it is in the other services but in the Marine Corps if you were a private, PFC, or Lance Corporal it’s something of a minor miracle if anybody even knows your name. His squad mates and platoon mates probably wouldn’t have the education to notice the problem. And the people who would like officers and staff NCOs would not really interact with a lance corporal in such a way that would tip them off.

but like I said my comment wasn’t really about the video it was about your comment which made me laugh a little.

Thomas Sowell

he was in the navy. he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, while in the navy. 'ccording to the vid, at some point he were off his meds in the us navy. 

leaves navy. not the royal navy of canada. not the japan maritime self defense force. heck, didn't even join the us air force. he were in the us navy. they figured out he were a paranoid schizophrenic and not taking meds in the us navy.

joins the united states marines corps (department of navy)  and participates long enough to makes lance corporal.

gd thinks the funny part is lance corporal? 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

he was in the navy. he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, while in the navy. 'ccording to the vid, at some point he were off his meds in the us navy. 

leaves navy. not the royal navy of canada. not the japan maritime self defense force. heck, didn't even join the us air force. he were in the us navy. they figured out he were a paranoid schizophrenic and not taking meds in the us navy.

joins the united states marines corps (department of navy)  and participates long enough to makes lance corporal.

gd thinks the funny part is lance corporal? 

HA! Good Fun!

You are surprised he slipped through the cracks. I’ve been inside that particular machine and it doesn’t surprise me at all.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Maybe this should be more TV thread, but I'm posting it more for the comments people have made around PTSD.

189010766_10159474914667074_671476004516

I know this scene has been used in memes lately, so please don't take this as a lack of a sense of humor, but this one of the toughest scenes in all of Star Trek. Jean Luc Picard, the very symbol of strength and grace in command, is reduced almost to a bawling child as he recalls being trapped in his own body as he's forced to commit atrocities under the Borg's control. This cuts me deeper than either Inner Light or Chain of Command.

Helped me deal with my PTSD from the military watching this episode. The emotions bottled up exploding out. Veterans know this pain
Seriously. This, The Hunted, The Wounded, Emissary, It's Only a Paper Moon, there are so many episodes that deal with the effects of war and violence rather than glorifying it. I binged Star Trek after I ETS'd, and it really helped.
I can only imagine the challenges of portraying this scene since it cut so close to home for Stewart, since he has spoken so openly about his father suffering ptsd.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

17 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Just more evidence that intelligence doesn't always equate to wisdom. For example, a group more likely to become terrorist bombers are engineers, which is the opposite of what you'd expect. They just tend to view bombing as an engineered solution to a problem.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 minute ago, rjshae said:

Just more evidence that intelligence doesn't always equate to wisdom. For example, a group more likely to become terrorist bombers are engineers, which is the opposite of what you'd expect. They just tend to view bombing as an engineered solution to a problem.

Plus we know how to make bombs

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

For example, a group more likely to become terrorist bombers are engineers, which is the opposite of what you'd expect.

Well, if you attended an Engineering school you would expect them to be terrorists.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

You are surprised he slipped through the cracks. I’ve been inside that particular machine and it doesn’t surprise me at all.

Yeah, we had a guy assigned to us in Iraq that everyone thought was one bad day away from shooting up the base. The solution was that his firing pin was removed when he wasn't paying attention. So, yeah.

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Yeah, we had a guy assigned to us in Iraq that everyone thought was one bad day away from shooting up the base. The solution was that his firing pin was removed when he wasn't paying attention. So, yeah.

unfortunate, this does not surprise us at all. perhaps it is wrong, but am expecting more than a few people in the military is unwell, 'cause there is a whole lotta unwell people in the general public. have had multiple bosses over the years, individuals running multi-billion dollar businesses, or in charge o' facilities doing dangerous stuff, and am gonna admit we were initial shocked they were promoted to their positions given their obvious character flaws and dubious mental stability.  so of course am no longer shocked when a soldier, sailor, marine, police officer or even POTUS (with access to nuke launch codes), not only gets job o' defending the public and/or america, but is allowed to continue their work for days, weeks, months or years.

the guy in question didn't slip through the cracks in any ordinary sense-- his condition were diagnosed by the us navy. a diagnosis o' paranoid schizophrenia disqualifies a person from joining any branch o' the us military, even the us navy, o' which the marines is a part. 

thank goodness there is marines like shady and others who is able to take matters into their own hands when unwell people is put in positions dangerous for themselves and those 'round 'em. corporal bone spurs needed similar kinda oversight, but were pentagon brass who alleged took away the firing pin. 

HA! Good Fun!