Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

War is not a human exclusive thing apparently. I've never heard of this one before (having only watched old BBC series showing ants going to war) 🤔

An analysis of the Gombe Chimpanzee war 1974-1978 when two Chimpanzee communities went to war against each other

Yes, the spears are a stupid post-op by someone, the war and the bloodshed was real though...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I saw that from the documentary Among the Wild Chimpanzees. It documents the discoveries Jane Goodall made during her time at Gombe.  It is an interesting piece of media and it definitely made me see chimps in a different light especially with the variety of tools they use. One of the more disturbing pieces from the documentary aside from warfare was a chimp (Passion) that developed a taste for their own kind.

• Thanks 1

HuckMag - Art and Culture - The joy of excess: Why a new generation is turning to Satanism

As far as religions go, Satanism isn’t exactly taken seriously by the wider public. No one would be blamed for imagining it as a refuge for devil-worshippers who run around in capes, drink blood, piss fire or even indulge in sacrificial slaughter. That’s because the overwhelming majority of these associations have been shaped by how Satanism has been depicted in pop culture, the media and, more significantly, other religions.

Back in the late 1980s, a wave of ‘Satanic Panic’ arose from allegations that the Church of Satan was abusing and kidnapping children in US daycare centres. It led to the longest and most expensive trial in American history, before resulting in all charges being dropped without any convictions. (There was no evidence against the Church and the original allegations turned out to be false.)

The thing is, the Church of Satan doesn’t believe in the devil. It doesn’t even recognise ‘Satan’ as a physical or spiritual being. As far as the Church is concerned, there is no such thing as heaven or hell. Satanists loyal to the Church of Satan are, in fact, atheists who accept all genders, sexualities, sexual preferences and races.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The overarching dogma is not about worshipping any external forces – real or spiritual – but instead worshipping oneself and doing everything in your power to achieve your potentia

Well, no wonder it's popular. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Those crafty entrepreneurs.... :nuke:

"The first bottles of an "artisanal spirit" made using apples grown near the Chernobyl nuclear power plant have been seized by Ukrainian authorities.

The Chernobyl Spirit Company said 1,500 bottles of Atomik alcoholic drink were confiscated on 19 March and taken to the Kyiv Prosecutor's office.

Officers took the shipment from a truck at a distillery in the Carpathians."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57011695

"They are now awaiting the outcome of an investigation by the Ukrainian security services but say they have "no idea" why the shipment, which was destined for the UK, was seized."

Oh come on, could have been fun watching a bunch of Britons running around at night, glowing in the dark 😝

Now I feel like playing Fallout again

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1800 year old Greek-Egyptian family medallion:

w7h4jngt54y61.jpg

Thought the art style was pretty rad in comparison to a lot of ancient art.

• Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

b55921fd0012fd36f93b74b6b0c32661.gif

907b2ae9aa95443810ba6a3a693893ee.gif

When it's not just mad skillz, it's mad skillz in heels...

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Back when conspiracy theories were wholesomely insane

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One of the side effects of global warming is the possibility to travel the waters of the northern arctics. After the Suez Canal scare, that is exactly what Japan is pondering the viability of...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/9/japan-mulls-alternatives-to-the-suez-canal

Who knows, Russia and Japan may suddenly become the new best friends (because it's profitable for both). Egypt might not like the idea. I've no idea how much of the traffic through the canal is made up by Japanese ships, at least one ship stood out in the news recently *cough*. Egypt is currently suing the Japanese owner for approx $1bn, having seized the ship, cargo and crew as collateral)

"...Leaving aside the very long route around the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, Japan has two potential alternatives, both of them reliant on Russia – the Trans-Siberian Railway and the Northern Sea Route.

The giant Ever Given got wedged across the Suez Canal in March, stopping traffic in one of the world’s busiest trading routes for almost a week [File: Suez Canal via AFP]
Indeed, Russian President Vladimir Putin has personally promoted these alternatives.

At the time he was inaugurated for his fourth term as president in May 2018, Putin signed the “Executive Order on National Goals and Strategic Objectives of the Russian Federation through to 2024.”

Among the goals were “reducing the time to ship containers by rail, in particular from the Russian Far East to Russia’s western border, down to seven days, and quadrupling the volume of transit container traffic by rail,” as well as “developing the Northern Sea Route and increasing its cargo traffic up to 80 million tonnes.”"

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

One of the side effects of global warming is the possibility to travel the waters of the northern arctics. After the Suez Canal scare, that is exactly what Japan is pondering the viability of...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/9/japan-mulls-alternatives-to-the-suez-canal

Who knows, Russia and Japan may suddenly become the new best friends (because it's profitable for both). Egypt might not like the idea. I've no idea how much of the traffic through the canal is made up by Japanese ships, at least one ship stood out in the news recently *cough*. Egypt is currently suing the Japanese owner for approx $1bn, having seized the ship, cargo and crew as collateral)

That's also the reason why the Arctic is becoming increasingly militarized. Well that and the newly available natural resources on/under the Arctic floor.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."