Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

On 3/23/2021 at 3:46 AM, Malcador said:

Reminds me of a joke I might have already posted, but anyway.

A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer are told that at the end of a hallway there is a large sack of money for them to collect, but they're only ever allowed to cross half the distance left towards the sack, then they have to stop, and begin again. The mathematician rightly realizes that he'll never get to the sack and doesn't try, the physicist conducts an experiment, finds out that he will never reach his goal and also quits.

Meanwhile the engineer just walks up to the sack, takes it, comes back and says: "Sometimes, close enough is good enough!"

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/behavior/can-dogs-see-tv

My mom and I are having a debate, they have these two cute little pugs and the one pug loves to focus and watch any TV shows that feature other animals or dogs and she actively barks and gets excited

My mom thinks she is enjoying the TV but as the link explains dogs dont really see the images of a TV in the same way a human can so I believe dogs are captivated by some TV shows through sound and not the actual visual experience 

What do you guys think is the reason some dogs enjoy TV ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Coffee shortage is predicted

dammit! I’m starting to run out of space to hoard things

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Pentagon is Very Bad at Memes.

The bumbling bear is part of an effort by U.S. Cyber Command to make Russian hackers look uncool online. “We don’t want something they can put on T-shirts, we want something that’s in a PowerPoint their boss sees and he loses his **** on them,” an anonymous U.S. official told CyberScoop in November, 2020.

And the image in question is...

58z5z1l.jpeg

While those intrepid Russkies were hacking Solarwinds one of the groups that was meant to be defending the US from such things was spending 23 fricking days creating and generating a 20 page report on one of the most tepid and forgettable- or not, since it's so bad- maymays in the history of all creation. To be fair, they got half way there and did manage to make someone look uncool online and I can readily imagine someone being yelled at after their boss has seen it in a powerpoint presentation; it's just that neither would be the Russian hackers.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Good thing I'm English and all about the tea....

source.gif

Tea is for enjoyment, coffee is essential

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

We threw all of our tea in the harbor! :lol:

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

48 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

We threw all of our tea in the harbor! :lol:

You poor fools.

On other matters of weird interest: Atlas Obscura - Why the Soviets sponsored a doomed expedition to a hollow earth kingdom

In December of 1923, two unlikely travelers arrived in Darjeeling, India intent on finding what could not possibly exist: Shambhala, a kingdom located inside a hollow earth. Along them trailed Soviet spies, Western occultists and Mongolian rebels, all serving their own agendas. Even with so many eyes on them, their expedition still managed to disappear from the face of the earth for months; when they finally emerged, they had a fascinating story to tell and even more secrets to hide.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

8 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Go back to your bunker, Cold War borderline fascist PRUDE.

Well that is weird and random. Not sure it's interesting though.

• Haha 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here is some really good motivational words, some of them most of us will have heard before but its nice to see them all together 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's been so many years since I've seen this but this is still the greatest war scene in cinema history and probably will always be the best war scene.

Yes I know it's a bit stupidly Amero-Centric and subtly discredits British and Anzac forces contribution but you cannot deny the sheer power this has on the human psyche.

Would you be willing to throw yourself out there like that for a good cause?  If not, you probably wouldn't even appreciate it's significance in the slightest.

Thin Red Line > Saving Private Ryan

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/family/article/role-playing-games-can-give-kids-a-mental-health-boost?

How role-playing games can give your kid a mental health boost
RPGs are making a comeback—and helping children deal with the pandemic.

It turns out RPGs aren’t just popular because they’re a ton of fun—they also have unique characteristics that benefit kids’ mental health and social skills, something especially important during the pandemic. Here’s what makes RPGs special and how to get your kid in on the game. 

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

they also have unique characteristics that benefit kids’ mental health and social skills

If that's true, looking at RPG forums....those kids were in a BAD way to begin with.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra