Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

So I guess the new Captain America is gay

Ok, that’s fine. Did they have to dress him like an idiot? C’mon man. Looks like he’s going over to help a friend paint his house

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

So I guess the new Captain America is gay

Ok, that’s fine. Did they have to dress him like an idiot? C’mon man. Looks like he’s going over to help a friend paint his house

Captain America is still Steve Rogers.  They're doing a story about Steve-Cap traveling the US with Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes and John Walker (who've all been Cap; I think we're up to 8 official Caps now, discounting Cap-for-a-story like The Punisher and alternate or future Caps).  While traveling, they meet people who've taken up the Captain America mantle to defend their local communities.

The design doesn't grab me, but as I understand it this version of Captain America is defending runaways and the homeless, so I'm going to guess either is or was a homeless runaway himself, and may be wearing an outfit made from what he was able to find.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Didn’t they kill off the original captain America? I haven’t followed that storyline since the 70s.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Didn’t they kill off the original captain America? I haven’t followed that storyline since the 70s.

They killed one of the 50s Caps* (he couldn't take the pressure and committed suicide) that was created to explain why there were Captain America stories published by Marvel post WWII.  In the 70s Steve abandoned the identity and became Nomad (and I think John "US Agent" Walker was brought it by the Government to take over) but I don't recall him being killed then.

Steve Rogers was killed post Marvel's Civil War, but its comics, and they wibble-wobbled a storyline (Cap's body was dead but his spirit was still around,  Armin Zola resurrected Steve's body with the Red Skull's spirit for giggles, eventually Bucky helps spirit-Steve evict Skull).  

He wasn't a hydra agent either (that was a cosmic-cube time manipulated alternate Cap).  Because, again, comics.

*I think they recently brought him back too

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well the new Cap ought to reach out to one of the old ones to see if they have some old duds lying around that might fit him. If he’s really lucky they might give him this:

image.thumb.jpeg.12a1d6e4aaf5a2726a05b5f365556406.jpeg

Thomas Sowell

Only if they want Archie to sue again. 😄

The round shield was created because MLJ/Archie's sued over the similarity to the Cap's Shield to the Shield's outfit.

PepComics1.jpeg.501f51bd0109438cf7b74e89a48c4a54.jpeg

• Thanks 1

That’s wild, I never knew that!

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Everyone is a captain? Don't they know there are other patents, even if they are not in the army?

Imagine when they meet a villain. How do they know who is being addressed?

Nah there is only one

image.png.77deedc2ff8a357cde9c7eb67779827d.png

oh wait,  make that two:

image.jpeg.921a03bfef268b7c6fd2f7b156a3af5a.jpeg

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Everyone is a captain? Don't they know there are other patents, even if they are not in the army?

Imagine when they meet a villain. How do they know who is being addressed?

A bit like Gallaxhar trying to give orders his clones in MONSTERS VS ALIENS, I'd guess (tried to find the clip, but failed).

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

That’s wild, I never knew that!

While true, I was joking a bit too, since Archie doesn't use The Shield character a lot, Marvel's is safe from additional legal action as the suit isn't an active trademark (plus they redesigned the Shield's outfit to be less shield-y so it stopped having the distinctive look) so have used that shield for stories set in the period Cap carried it in the comics.

EDIT: I looked it up, MLJ didn't sue, they asked Martin Goodman (who the MLJ founder, Louis Silberkleit, was friends with and I believe all three had worked with Goodman at an early point in their publishing career) to change the shield since they got there first.  That's why the one shield only existed for the first issue and was changed to round for issue 2.  As mentioned they subsequently went back after the trademark issue wasn't an issue and did re-introduce the original shield as historically happening in Cap's timeline.

• Like 2

The Reddit "investors" (anyone remember GameStop?) are at it again... this time deciding to save the gorillas

GameStop has now suddenly adopted a number of gorillas by supporting the Dian Fossey fund. Sort of a nice story for a change amidst all the misery.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56438230

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

39 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

What? That is a fantastic carrier. I had a jeep brand one and it was awesome. Took both my kids on some crazy adventures strapped to my chest. Piers Morgan is dumb.

For a man, it has to be tactical

But yes Piers Morgan is someone that needs to be immolated.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 3/15/2021 at 2:12 AM, Azdeus said:

It seems they're getting real close to an eruption in Iceland

And so it has started!

https://www.facebook.com/Vedurstofan/photos/a.431284043605831/3930732966994237/?type=3

A live cam so far showing the glow in the distance

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

BBC - French drugs haul "was strawberry haribo"

This week police in Paris announced a "fruitful investigation" and a raid netting MDMA and ecstasy with a street value of over €1m ($1.2m; £860,000).
But it has turned out to be fruitful in a different way.
Sources close to the investigation now say the pink powder was in fact ground up sweets.
Or more specifically, "crushed Tagada strawberry" made by Haribo, AFP reports, one of the most popular brands of sweets in France.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

12 hours ago, Azdeus said:

And so it has started!

Looking at the bright side, it's not going to interrupt international air traffic to the same degree that it did a decade ago 😇

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

34 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Looking at the bright side, it's not going to interrupt international air traffic to the same degree that it did a decade ago 😇

What air traffic? 😄

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken