What Are you Playing Now: Living the Good Life

Amentep

You should play the expansions, Bruce. Tribunal has good story for a Bethesda game and dives more into the nerevarine prophecy stuff. And Bloodmoon changes the environment so you actually get a change of scenery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

15 minutes ago, melkathi said:

You should play the expansions, Bruce. Tribunal has good story for a Bethesda game and dives more into the nerevarine prophecy stuff. And Bloodmoon changes the environment so you actually get a change of scenery.

I did play them  the first time I played Morrowind so I am happy to skip them this time 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oblivion really had no soul compared to Morrowind.  I could spend hours and hours roaming around in Morrorwind, following the story, following lore, doing all the random stuff. 

Tried that with Oblivion and just found it mind-numbing.

Oblivion is one of the few games I've started but never finished.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Dark Brotherhood quest line was pretty great in Oblivion and there were a few other gems, but otherwise it was just kinda meh. The main quest line was mind-numbingly dull.

• Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

Oblivion really had no soul compared to Morrowind.  I could spend hours and hours roaming around in Morrorwind, following the story, following lore, doing all the random stuff. 

Tried that with Oblivion and just found it mind-numbing.

Oblivion is one of the few games I've started but never finished.

Did you use Mods when you played it.....and more specifically did you utilize adult mods?

Its has been scientifically  proven that its impossible for any Elder Scroll game to be boring with adult mods :sweat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

The Dark Brotherhood quest line was pretty great in Oblivion and there were a few other gems, but otherwise it was just kinda meh. The main quest line was mind-numbingly dull.

I mentioned in the past that from about 1999-2007 ish I had  a break from gaming due to work responsibilities and overseas work  travel . In about 2007 I started wanting to get back into our great and entertaining hobby and I played The Temple of Elemental Evil on my work laptop. I then decided to invest in a proper gaming machine when I realized how much I missed it and how advanced games had become 

A friend in  JHB sent me the initial release link  of Oblivion and it was this game that made up my mind to definitely game again...I will never forget how exciting it was to read about " this mysterious Oblivion gate that had opened " 

When I bought my new rig their were 3 games I bought with it. Gothic 3, Morrowind and Oblivion and I played Oblivion last

In those days I never even knew Mods existed so I played the vanilla versions but I had a great time

So in other words if it wasnt for Oblivion I wouldnt have got back into gaming which means I wouldnt have become active on this forum which means you guys would never have got to experience the pleasure of my company and deep insights of my views ( consider  all our engaging discussions around Romance ) ...think how less fulfilled and content  you would feel if that hadnt happened .....it would be a  disaster :teehee:

So I can never say anything  bad about Oblivion because it played such  an important part of my gaming legacy.

"Oblivion for president " !!!!

John Milton 

actually managed to nab The Outer Worlds on a sale, played it for a bit (got the character to level 27, game doesn't seem to be anywhere near the end though, so it's pretty big in terms of content, which is not a good thing, more on that below) and I have conflicting feelings about it.

now, I'd never even discuss it with people, but since this is the Obsidian Forum I am curious if anyone else here feels the same way I do about OW. 

on the one hand it's pretty impressive visually. graphics are nice, animations are nice when they don't bug out, voice acting is pretty good as far as my tastes are concerned. shooting mechanics are meh, but that's because of how confused the game is about its combat mechanics (with all the damage types and enemy types it's very hard to keep track of what damages what), but that brings me to my first big gripe with the game: it should never have been a first-person shooter.

when the game was announced I immediately thought to myself, "ah, Obsidz are making a spiritual successor to New Vegas with a KOTOR twist to it, nice!" -- I couldn't have been further from the truth. in all fairness, if OW was anything like NV I would've loved it. unfortunately it isn't. my guess is the general concept was closer to "Dishonored with a bit of Bioshock", and I'm going off on a tangent here, but neither games were particularly good to begin with, but at least they weren't too repetitive (at least they didn't feel repetitive to me, but I dropped them after about 5 hours with each, since they're terrible shooters as well).

New Vegas worked because it was an open world game (which meant approaching any area from any side you wanted), and with a proper build you could make your character pretty powerful early on, which removed all the tedium from going around and clearing the wasteland. 

in OW you go around wasting hours upon hours killing randomly placed enemies that have a million HP each, I actually had to buy ammo after a few encounters in a particularly nasty area because I was spending around 200 rounds for my primary weapon each encounter there. and the only time you actually get a rest from all that mindless combat is when you're moving around a quest area.

in fact, more than once I caught myself thinking, "is this what Fallout 2 would've played like if it was a first-person shooter?" -- and some episodes in OW really made me feel like I was playing a Fallout 2 remake. the game world is built in a very similar way, with quest hubs, empty spaces between them where you sometimes get random encounters etc.

anyway, to make this long story short: this game should either have been an adventure game with minimal combat and hence -- with less filler areas to have to traverse; or it should've been a full-blown shooter without all the weird role-playing elements that make combat such a chore, relying instead on the player's skill and approach to winning each firefight. in the end it's neither tactical nor skill-based, which begs the question of why OT even has combat.

my biggest issue is having to visit the same locations multiple times -- it's amazing that in the year of our Lord 2021 we still can't figure out a way to complete quests without walking up to the quest giver (and that's in a game about the Space Age!).

I honestly expected an OG Star Trek-inspired adventure, where your time would be split evenly between visiting weird planets and having weird scenarios aboard your ship. instead I got another KOTOR, which already felt outdated when it first came out.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I mentioned in the past that from about 1999-2007 ish I had  a break from gaming due to work responsibilities and overseas work  travel . In about 2007 I started wanting to get back into our great and entertaining hobby and I played The Temple of Elemental Evil on my work laptop. I then decided to invest in a proper gaming machine when I realized how much I missed it and how advanced games had become 

A friend in  JHB sent me the initial release link  of Oblivion and it was this game that made up my mind to definitely game again...I will never forget how exciting it was to read about " this mysterious Oblivion gate that had opened " 

When I bought my new rig their were 3 games I bought with it. Gothic 3, Morrowind and Oblivion and I played Oblivion last

In those days I never even knew Mods existed so I played the vanilla versions but I had a great time

So in other words if it wasnt for Oblivion I wouldnt have got back into gaming which means I wouldnt have become active on this forum which means you guys would never have got to experience the pleasure of my company and deep insights of my views ( consider  all our engaging discussions around Romance ) ...think how less fulfilled and content  you would feel if that hadnt happened .....it would be a  disaster :teehee:

So I can never say anything  bad about Oblivion because it played such  an important part of my gaming legacy.

"Oblivion for president " !!!!

still remember the two month trying to brute force through gothic 3

never understand the nonsense complain about quest marker too hand holding in games

never had that much energy to suffer through any game now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not playing it yet... just sitting and watching the videos and reviews for Dungeon of Naheubeuk. Undecided as of yet. It looks like the kind of satire that is just up my alley. After all, I did like Grotesque Tactics 2 Dungeons and Donuts.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

15 hours ago, Keyrock said:

The Dark Brotherhood quest line was pretty great in Oblivion 

That seems to be a popular opinion but I don't remember anything being great about it, I actually remember thinking at the time that it tried too hard to be dark and grim, and didn't really leave a lasting impression.

Maybe it's because when I think of an assassins guild I think of contracts and some degree choices and open endedness rather than an on the rails questline so that could have affected my opinion a little bit.

As soon as I beat the main quest I tossed it in the trash (metaphorically).

Edited by ComradeYellow

37 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

still remember the two month trying to brute force through gothic 3

never understand the nonsense complain about quest marker too hand holding in games

never had that much energy to suffer through any game now

Sometimes markers are convenient and I just prefer them in some games but their is a real enjoyment to being told " find wizard who lives to the east of the forest " and you have to explore and put effort in and  you find your target. I dont want to spend hours necessarily looking for things but sometime to explore is fine 

John Milton 

Hmm I felt Outer Worlds was trying to be FO:NV merged with Borderlands.

Strangely the game was both too big and too small. When you first got to an area you felt like you had to walk for ages and fight to get anywhere. Then you'd walk back and realize what felt like far far away was just over that ridge and right next door.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, ComradeYellow said:

That seems to be a popular opinion but I don't remember anything being great about it, I actually remember thinking at the time that it tried too hard to be dark and grim, and didn't really leave a lasting impression.

Maybe it's because when I think of an assassins guild I think of contracts and some degree choices and open endedness rather than an on the rails questline so that could have affected my opinion a little bit.

As soon as I beat the main quest I tossed it in the trash (metaphorically).

I think it is because it had some slight bits of multiple ways to finish the quests. Like, you could just slash with your sword, or you place a poisoned apple and stuff like that. But other than that, I, too, don't remember anything from it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, since Biomutant seems like it's going to be a "wait for 40% off sale"  I continue playing 7 Days to Die. I'm unsure why.  I always reach this point where I find myself doing the exact same thing over and over:
--start new game (heavily self-modded to taste)
--build some basic to moderate level base/home in short order because at minimum you need tons of protected area storage space
--kill lots of z's and loot lots of buildings so I can make forges, workbenches, motorcycles, and fill 30 storage chests full of "stuff"
--grow bored after 12-18 hours of that, from general over-familiarity with the game for years, start new map (starting is the best part)

....still, it's better than staring at the wall.   😕
...although I should play more of the original DK1 campaign for kicks. I only got to Moonbrush Wood and then stopped.  Slapping imps to death to make an overkill army of orange robe wearing vampires to stomp on goody knights and wizards is like stress therapy.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tooling around with Arma 2 as I have nothing better to do.  Amazing how the AI doesn't look up. Well, and how useless the Strela is against an Su-34.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing Subnautica BZ, having fun as it's as engaging as the first part. I don't know how to feel about the land part yet. Also I miss the sub, the seatruck just ain't the same.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

32 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

The sea truck gets cooler as you start to unlock the modules.

Got them all. I know why they did it and what the point is, it's just that the sub was cooler to pilot and cooler design. You felt powerful in the sub, while the truck is just dinky.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

Not playing it yet... just sitting and watching the videos and reviews for Dungeon of Naheubeuk. Undecided as of yet. It looks like the kind of satire that is just up my alley. After all, I did like Grotesque Tactics 2 Dungeons and Donuts.

I'm weak. I bought it. I guess I'm going to be playing it tonight... "A parody with deep rpg mechanics"

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, melkathi said:

Hmm I felt Outer Worlds was trying to be FO:NV merged with Borderlands.

Huh, maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.  New Vegas I replayed multiple times times but it was kinda rough around the edges, and seemed broken in some instances, the the whole powder gangers scenario, it reeked of obvious and poorly implemented content removal.  Borderlands is the opposite, it's got a great plot and gameplay, very "smooth" around the edges and the skills are shallow and complimentary rather than fundamental, which is expected in a shooter but still, I prefer a bit more.

Hopefully Avowed will raise the bar even higher.

Anywho, I am trying to get all the achievements in RE Village, I have 34/49 so I got a little ways to go, working on beating it on the highest difficulty, which is doable as your weapons and upgrades carry over after you save your last playthrough, I can't iimagine beating it with starting equipment but there's Youtubers doing it!

Edited by ComradeYellow

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Dungeon of Naheubeuk

"Oh, that looks cute I might ... oh, turn based, never mind."  :/

I know, I'm a heathen.  🐸

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am about 5 hours into ELEX and I have started enjoying it. It has your familiar and standard " Piranha Bytes design " which I enjoy and is replicated in all their games like Gothic and Risen

So the gaming design  is 

• lots of plants and herds to take
  • Trainers are required to advance skills 
  • Factions that you have to decide which ones to join
  • Not much hand holding in the beginning and places on the map with enemies that will definitely kill you if you not tough enough
  • Exploration leads to real benefits and interesting things to find 

I prefer fantasy settings only but I think I will enjoy this new hybrid fantast\sci-fi setting ?

John Milton 

They are Germans? Is eastern Europe now starts at the beaches of UK? xD

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"