International Womens Day

BruceVC

Heres to all the beautiful and amazing women in our lives. This day matters in the global campaign to ensure the implementation of  fair and reasonable gender equality and address some of the real challengers women still face globally 

I support gender equality so this day is important to me ....I just wish it was a public holiday in SA because I like public holidays 🥂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

pjimage-min-700x394.jpg

Things are a little bit different to when it was just Samus out there...

The times they do a-change.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

12 minutes ago, Raithe said:

pjimage-min-700x394.jpg

Things are a little bit different to when it was just Samus out there...

The times they do a-change.

Raithe where are pictures of historical characters in chainmail bikini armor ? We mustn't discriminate now and avoid pictures of important female characters like Red Sonya ?

Great reminder by the way on how things have improved with character choice :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Just grab them by the ****. When you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

This made me laugh but we must be careful to not believe or spread  this type of  double standards 

John Milton 

LOL there’s only one female in my life right now. And she’s a dog.

E2015C3F-51E2-49D1-B18E-C2A623714BD8.jpeg

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My favorite female historical figures is a four-way tie. 

Boudica of course needs no introduction.

Edith Clarke was an electrical engineer, MIT graduate and professor, stellar career at General Electric, and invented one of the first graphing calculators.

Lydmila Pavlichenko, Red Army sniper nicknamed Lady Death during WW2

Nancy Wake, journalist, French resistance operative, allied spy extraordinaire. I read a great book about her last year. Had never heard of her prior.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I like that idea GD.

I'd say Maria Sklodowska Curie, no introduction needed.

Hedy Lamarr, she's mostly known as an actress, but she was also an inventor that laid the groundwork for wifi and bluetooth with her idea of frequency-hopping signals.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Admiral Grace Hopper for her work on compilers, among others.  Same vein, Margaret Hamilton for her work at NASA and in computing.

Catherine II of Russia, should be fairly obvious why (although I guess no Pole would be a fan of hers :lol: ) Massie's biography on her is a good read, tangentially. 

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL there’s only one female in my life right now. And she’s a bitch.

Fixed that for you in the spirit of the thread! ;)

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

42 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I need to read the Manon Rheaume biography.

51EEqi1QtXL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

She was on the Lightning so I am required to hate her.

Thomas Sowell

Joan of Arc. This one should not need much said about it, though the details of her life have almost definitely been revised or embellished in some parts because the 'known history' of her would seem to put her as being right up on the level of Jesus between her supposed perfection, her prophecies, and her wrongful execution - nevertheless, she's always been one of my favorite historical female figures. For only a few years of activity/notoriety, she managed to become quite the legend.

Empress Theodora of the Eastern Roman Empire. Her background is not clear, as multiple conflicting contemporary histories were written about her and her husband's lives, but it is clear that she was of very humble origins (controversially so for the time). She is sometimes touted as a co-regnant (a regnant is the opposite of a regent) alongside Justinian the Great due to her unusual and intense involvement with stately affairs (her husband called her his "partner" in all deliberations, and while this almost sounds a little insulting in a modern context, it was a great compliment and quite unheard of at the time), and is perhaps best known for saving her and her husband's rule during the Nika riots in the capital. She was also a great proponent of women's freedom and rights during this particular period of Antiquity, having pushed her husband to create a number of pro-women laws in regards to legal guardianship of children, divorce, land ownership, prostitution, and for the harsher punishments of crimes against women.

Theodora and Marozia, a mother and daughter who were purportedly the lords of Rome during its darkest days post-fall. They were not particularly noble or admirable women - quite the opposite, actually - but there's something about their history and its sordid intertwining with the Papacy (seven different popes in their line!) that's always made me remember them...that, and I love both of their names.

I'm also fond of Hypatia, a noted (for the time) Greek-Roman mathematician and philosopher, who is best known for her resistance to converting to Christianity and yet continuing to freely teach both pagans and Christians and being loved by both during a particularly contentious time of religious turmoil, eventually leading to her horrific murder by extreme Christian partisans.

I'm forgetting some others that I know that I particularly like, but oh well. You can probably tell that Roman and Greek history is my favorite area of history, :p.

(e): Also, something that's under-known - many of the world's earliest and most notable computer engineers/scientists were actually women, something lost on most given greater male dominance in this field post-World War II and then especially so by the end of the Cold War and continuing up until now.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Kanno Sugako, the first Japanese woman to be a political prisoner executed in Japan in circumstances very similar to the trial after the Haymarket Riot. Her life honestly sounds like it could be a movie and I believe there was a play about her. 

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

Why do women only get a day? Surely they deserve more. 🙂

is a whole lotta international observance days which ain't getting much use, even if they is amusing. perhaps give women september 9? is currently international talk like a pirate day. anne bonny could be the poster child for the septembr 9th addition?

top o' the list for us is barbara jordan.

has been a personal role model for us for a long time.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I was a little peeved that I couldn't think of any historical women that ever served as any kind of role model for me...but then I realized I didn't have any historical men as role models either, so it's all fair.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

IMG-20210308-WA0000.jpg

Marie Curie. The only person ever to win the Nobel prize in two fields of Science, one in Physics and one in Chemistry.

Also, their family received a total of six Nobel prizes.

In 1903 Marie Curie and her husband, Mr.Piarie curie, received the first Nobel prize for the physics, and the second Nobel prize was won for chemistry in 1911 by Marie Curie.

Then, the elder daughter of Marie Curie, Irene Julliet curie with her husband Fredric Juliet Curie, received another Nobel prize for their exceptional commitment to the chemistry in 1935.

Fortunately, Mr.Henry Richardson, who is the husband of Eve Curie, the youngest daughter of the curie family, was able to receive another Nobel Prize for peace in 1965 with the honor of sharing six Nobel prizes within the family.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 3

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I was a little peeved that I couldn't think of any historical women that ever served as any kind of role model for me...but then I realized I didn't have any historical men as role models either, so it's all fair.

Im surprised you would say that Barti, I would have assumed I must be closest to a role model for you? Think how long we have known each other, I have been active on these forums for 11 years,  and all the good advice and prudent lifestyle choices you have gained from me ?

I would assume its the same for KP, I must have a similar role model position for  younger forum members? Dont worry, I am a humble person and dont expect constant recognition :teehee:

John Milton 

Yes, Hedy Lamarr is a pretty cool historical figure. Stunning actress, film producer, and co-inventor of a form of frequency-hopping spread spectrum.

• Like 6

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."