Scaffolding Purpose?

Does scaffolding actually serve any purpose, other than aesthetic? I have my current base built off of the baseball, and it's just sort of...floating. It's not gigantic by any means, but I haven't hit a point where the game won't let me continually build off to the side. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:36 AM, Mr Shinythings said:

Personally I use it similarly to the foundations when I'm making a base on uneven terrain, especially if the game won't let me place foundation for some reason. It's also needed to make tall staircases.

it's not nessesarily needed for tall staircases either, cause i build one without scaffolds from the stones near the hedge onto the birdbath

Honestly, I thought scaffolding was needed to make second level houses at first. I had used a ton of scaffolding to hold up the perimeter of my second floor in my base, before I realized that there are no... I don't know what you would call it, but like a stem scaffolding that can go under the grass planks and attach to other scaffolding to support the floor above it, without attaching to the wall, meant to attach to the ones that already exist (which attach to the floor/walls.)

It made sense to me, like "oh right, well I'll need a support for the grass floor upstairs," but turns out I didn't need it at all, it holds itself up. Which I mean is great because that means less building material needed, but it does feel a little incomplete, like that should exist.

ETA: SUPPORT BEAMS. That was the word I was looking for. I thought we would have stem support beams available but we do not. :(

Edited by riverofroses