The All Things Political Thread (The World and US Reunited)

Amentep

58 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

As long as US will step aside on many trade and regional meddling, sure it's possible as on the strategic layer it's good to have a muscle backing your daily reality, but EU, especially France nd Germany have much different interests politically and trade wise, than what US would see to fit them.

They don't have to agree on everything. Even when they were on good terms there were disagreements, they were just kept in house a lot more than under Trump. The US and EU have different interests, but that doesn't mean they have to be enemies.

In the long term that there will be a permanent split, but that's just the inevitable nature of history. In the end the EU is deeply risk averse with a lot of decision making inertia, and in the short to medium term a split from the US is way too risky.

Which country in EU now is a strong voice in terms of supporting US initiatives? It was difficult even during the Obama era, and you think that now, after Trump, and with volatile people becoming more prominent in US politics, this will be better?

As always it depends on the initiative- if the US was relying on say Britain or Poland to push their agenda, alone, then they were never in a great position anyway, when the EU relies on consensus for many decisions. You can still be friends- or at least friendly- with countries that you disagree with on some things and both blocs still have plenty of common interests and a lot invested in maintaining the general status quo of world affairs.

End of the day the EU and US supported each other on the vast majority of things even under Trump, it was just that the differences started being made public.

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

Who is running the show, hmm? 

Hillary Clinton :brows:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Poland with its currently rusophobic government

You do know that Polish liberals are even tougher on Russia?
Issues like Belarus or Navalny matter to them more than to the current government which just maintains it's hate/envy/emulate attitude. 

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

George Soros, the Illuminati or the Reptilians. Who knows for sure?

in the US, the President is not supposed to be "running the show" regardless o' dp's conspiracy theories spawned from zerohedge or his own tortured imagination.

the examples o' recent chief executives, as well as understandable misconceptions o' folks not familiar with the US federal system o' government, leads to foundational errors and am here to offer guidance where and when needed. 

am recognizing is doubtful dp thanks us for the corrections.

edit:

When the Capitol Riot Came Home: A small New Hampshire town has been upended since January 6.

"I quoted him in a short article published by this magazine on January 6 saying that the break-in “was not going to solve a thing, and then to see the police get treated the way they were treated, it’s ridiculous.” Standing nearby, listening in on our little interview, was a woman in a Carhartt jacket whose voice made her sound like a human ashtray. She croaked that she did enjoy watching the break-in, to which Ellis cracked: “That’s because you’re from Massachusetts!”  I asked Ellis if he regretted his decision to come to D.C. that day, pointing out that what was happening in the background was surely an act of domestic terrorism. He said he didn’t have any regrets, because “there’s a lot of Trump supporters that are awesome people, like me.” He wasn’t trying to be cute — it was clear that he wanted to stick up for Trump supporters writ large without being tarred as a rioter."

am admitting we were kinda surprised at the extreme reactions to ellis, and then the equal extreme reactions to those who tweeted or commented.  

am not sure if is a social media thing or just 2021, but all too often it feels like many wanna be irate and/or indignant even when those same persons lament the loss o' more sober days.  not every hill is one worth dying, regardless o' exclamations 'bout principle to justify the extremism.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"I sure wish Biden was a dictator that could just unilaterally decide anything and everything for us."

Notice how tens of millions of people who voted for him AREN'T asking for that? Yeah: it's kind of an important distinction.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

11 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Putin and Biden should just have sex and get it over with

They're both bottoms tho

34 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

"I sure wish Biden was a dictator that could just unilaterally decide anything and everything for us."

Notice how tens of millions of people who voted for him AREN'T asking for that? Yeah: it's kind of an important distinction.

It has been a wild ride seeing a lot of the supposed freedom fans just come out as authoritarian bootlickers the second they found a dictator to believe in. Not really surprising if you listened to them intently, but kinda funny to see them come out and show their whole asses.

The disadvantage with Biden will probably come from people thinking that getting him in means they can go off to brunch for the next few years. Stuff like the recent unionizing attempts (like in Bessemer), activism surrounding police (mis)conduct, or disenfranchisement and gerrymandering shouldn't be slept on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Biden is effectively a figure head, sheltered and for occasional statment airing only. Who is running the show, hmm? 

I'm sure if Internet Minds dig deep enough, the conclusion will be

aiEJH.gif

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

in the US, the President is not supposed to be "running the show" regardless o' dp's conspiracy theories spawned from zerohedge or his own tortured imagination.

Typical, deflection, ad persona insinuatuon, clinging onto something not even mentioned in the discussion. 

This tactic has to work well for you. Your fellow partners must be proud of you. 

Biden wouldn't be able to run the show even if he was let to do so. He can't even run an unscrippted press conference or walk straight onto a staircase. 

You well know, what executive powers a US president has, and if those powers are not sufficient to use a phrase of "running the show" than what are. They certainly are, when compared to token presidents, such as German one. 

I've also mentioned mr Powell inthere, in respect to an area that no president has a direct control over.

Anyway, if you can't look at something from more than one angle, then it's your loss, not mine. 

If I'm wrong then you will sleep happy. Take conciliation in that. 

17 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I'm sure if Internet Minds dig deep enough, the conclusion will be

aiEJH.gif

Must have watched Borat recently? 

On a more serious note, not sure why there is a tendency to imply some outragous theories on a level of Russiagate or QAnon with the statment, that Biden is effectively just a figure-head. 

One of the reasons why it is certainly amusing, calling a Russian president a "soulless killer", is the fact that there is a lot of innocent civilian blood on US hands and a lot of conflicts and death initiated by USA. Heck, US army is openly pillaging for oil Syrian oil fields. 

5 hours ago, pmp10 said:

You do know that Polish liberals are even tougher on Russia?
Issues like Belarus or Navalny matter to them more than to the current government which just maintains it's hate/envy/emulate attitude. 

They are not tougher, they just want to look tough, and get a pat on the head from Western parties supporting Navalny. However, the current ruling party is outright running smear campaigns since their inception, including conspiracies that Russians killed a Polish president, who in fact died in a plane crash. 

Edited by Darkpriest

They say that because their options are (1) Russia did it! or (2) the pilot got pressured into landing by the President's staff, and against the advise of the Russian ATC, and flew far too low. One is Russia's fault, the other is due to their President's intransigence and pilot's mistakes. Easy choice to make, especially if you're twin brother to one of the dead.

For anyone wondering: 2010 Smolensk air disaster. There's a pretty good episode of Mayday/ Air Crash Investigation on it too which I can recommend.

Don't know if you guys have been following this but the 2020 election is still not over

The TLDR version is this: A Congressional district in Iowa was won by the Republican candidate by only six votes of just shy of 400k votes cast. The Democrat Candidate is contesting the vote, singling out just 12 of the 340 some odd disqualified votes that would have given her a nine vote win. Rather than go to the courts the Democrat has taken her case to the House of Representatives. She is asking them to seat her rather than the election winner. They actually CAN do that legally.

Let see if I got this stright. The House of Representatives is being asked to overturn the results of a legally conducted, recounted twice, and certified election AND do it for a member of the party that CONTROLLS that decision. Hmmmm..... correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't someone JUST try to do that very thing a month or two ago? Loudmouth billionaire from Florida I think he was?

Anyway, very curious to see how this goes. I'd bet a $100 against a soggy donut if they do seat the Democrat they are going to try VERY hard to keep it quiet. Hypocrisy is not a good look and faith in the electoral system is already at an all time low. 

I have a great idea for all candidates going forward: If you lose the elections STFU and go away! Try to do better next time. 

Edited by Guard Dog
it was 340 disqualified votes, not 3400

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

15 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Putin and Biden should just have sex and get it over with

4 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

They're both bottoms tho

Ah, liberals using being gay as an insult. Cracks me up every time 🤭

• Haha 3

166215__front.jpg

4 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Typical, deflection, ad persona insinuatuon, clinging onto something not even mentioned in the discussion. 

its a direct quote. that is why we put in quotation marks.

you aren't even trying.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Apologies to anyone that thinks two men having sex is an insult. Sorry, Skarp.

I'll hijack this to wag my finger at anyone who thinks being a bottom = being gay. Nice homophobia there dip****. 

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sydney... the city that is never happy. First they whinge about bushfires devastating the suburbs and now that they get a fix for that, they whinge about the fix. Ungrateful louts, all of them 😁

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56473115

More Sydney areas ordered to evacuate over major flooding risk

People wade through a flooded street in Sydney, Australia. Photo: 20 March 2021

The authorities say anyone living in low-lying areas of the city must leave.

On Saturday, Sydney's Warragamba dam started to overflow for the first time in years.

Dozens of people have been rescued from floodwaters in New South Wales, with officials warning of "life threatening flash floods".

Major roads remain shut in the area.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Apologies to anyone that thinks two men having sex is an insult. Sorry, Skarp.

8 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

I'll hijack this to wag my finger at anyone who thinks being a bottom = being gay. Nice homophobia there dip****. 

🤣 Sure let's pretend you didn't mean anything by it as soon as someone called you on.

166215__front.jpg

18 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Must have watched Borat recently? 

On a more serious note, not sure why there is a tendency to imply some outragous theories on a level of Russiagate or QAnon with the statment, that Biden is effectively just a figure-head. 

One of the reasons why it is certainly amusing, calling a Russian president a "soulless killer", is the fact that there is a lot of innocent civilian blood on US hands and a lot of conflicts and death initiated by USA. Heck, US army is openly pillaging for oil Syrian oil fields. 

No, just pass time reading inane conspiracy BS and inevitably always seems to end up being some anti-Semitic nonsense.  Stating he's a figurehead and asking who's really pulling the strings with not much else does sound like some QAnon tier stuff.  I do like some QAnon people thinking Biden is secretly controlled by Trump or something, second favourite to the Clintons being Illuminati-tier power level, heh.  People have an aversion to some things in life being really that simple.

Of course it's silly saying Putin is a killer.  But that is stuff said in public, and it sells well with people he needs it to.  It's like working in a corporation, people say and do a lot of things that maintain a reality no one actually believes in :lol:

4 hours ago, Skarpen said:

🤣 Sure let's pretend you didn't mean anything by it as soon as someone called you on.

Saying two people should have sex when they spend their time sniping at each other is a fairly common joke and regardless of genders involved (well or even if one is a program, we used to tell one guy that about emacs ), at least in North America.   Not really seeing the homophobia here, really, but have to pretend you care about these things as well.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Stating he's a figurehead and asking who's really pulling the strings with not much else does sound like some QAnon tier stuff.

I think most people would agree at this point that any U.S. president is just a tool for the various securit/intelligence agencies and $U.S. interests$, regardless if it's Blue or Red.

1 minute ago, ComradeYellow said:

I think most people would agree at this point that any U.S. president is just a tool for the various securit/intelligence agencies and $U.S. interests$, regardless if it's Blue or Red.

So the tail is wagging the dog?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell