The All Things Political Thread (The World and US Reunited)

Amentep

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Didn't Trump do it to Kennedy? Democrats must know at this point that the Republicans will do literally anything they can to prevent them from appointing a Supreme Court justice, and it's not difficult to foresee a situation where the court becomes even more lopsided, so I'm not surprised they're trying to get on top of it.

If he did I do not recall. Kennedy had been talking  about retirement for sometime I recall reading in WaPo. But there’s absolutely nothing the Republicans can do to prevent the Democrats from appointing a justice. They have complete control over the Senate. If a vacancy comes up it’s theirs to fill. Now what should be stopped is if they try to “pack” the court. Because that could get out of hand real quick. Suppose the Democrats add three more justices and fill them with radical liberals. Then the next time the Republicans have power they’ll add ten more  all radical conservatives. Then the next time the Democrats can they’ll add another 10 and fill them with radical liberals. It won’t take long before the Supreme Court is bigger than the house of representatives. You see where that could get out of hand real fast.

besides, over the last decade or so the most common supreme court breakdown was 9-0. 7-2 was the next most common. It is an incredibly important institution true but it is not of the world shattering kind that it’s come to take on. Take Roe for example. If the court ever overturned it abortion will still be legal everywhere. If states started to make it illegal Congress could intervene and make it legal nationwide. IMO The worst decision they have made in my lifetime was Kelo. But before the ink was even dry on the majority’s  decision a number of state legislatures begin drafting laws preventing municipalities from using eminent domain in that fashion. I am very critical of our government. But the one beautiful thing about it is there is nothing it can do that cannot be undone.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.unz.com/tsaker/uncle-shmuel-is-truly-brain-dead/

PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: I did say that to him, yes. And — and his response was, “We understand one another.” It was– I wasn’t being a wise guy. I was alone with him in his office. And that — that’s how it came about. It was when President Bush had said, “I looked in his eyes and saw his soul.” I said, “Looked in your eyes and I don’t think you have a soul.” And looked back and he said, “We understand each other.” Look, most important thing dealing with foreign leaders in my experience, and I’ve dealt with an awful lot of ’em over my career, is just know the other guy. Don’t expect somethin’ that you’re– that — don’t expect him to– or her to– voluntarily appear in the second editions of Profiles in Courage.

Comrade Putin doesn't have a soul, huh?

Anyone actually hang out with a bunch of white trash pro-establishment "Patriotic" Americans?  Them and D.C. are about the most soulless bunch you will ever find.

The best way to grade a country is by finding the "people at the bottom", the poor and dispossessed, and seeing the quality of their character.

Americans really tank hard here.

1 minute ago, ComradeYellow said:

The best way to grade a country is by finding the "people at the bottom", the poor and dispossessed, and seeing the quality of their character.

Eh, good luck with that.  How are you going to know you're not talking to true trash rather than just poor people.  Poor people vary as much as others in a country.

Was a surprise to see a Congressmen talk about "ChiComs". I thought that term fell out of use back in the 60s.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

Eh, good luck with that.  How are you going to know you're not talking to true trash rather than just poor people.  Poor people vary as much as others in a country.

I just go by my personal experience is usually, and try not to strain myself with academic literature and theory.

The second I see a ray of hope with "the American mindset", especially at the bottom, I shall sing for joy and change my tune accordingly.

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It sounds like the Democrats are pressuring Stephen Breyer to step down. They want to replace him with somebody younger and more radical while they still have full control over the government. Barack Obama himself tried to get Ruth Bader Ginsberg to do the exact same thing. That’s kind of a terrible thing to do. Both Breyer and Ginsberg are extremely intelligent and decent people. They shouldn’t be pressured to end their careers over political expediency. I don’t recall the Republicans doing that to Clarence Thomas. If they did I missed it.

ginsburg was in her late 70s and were a cancer survivor... multiple bouts o' cancer. obama broaching the subject o' retirement was hardly terrible, and in retrospect am hopeful ginsburg had enough self awareness to realize her arrogance (all supreme court justices is arrogant, so am hardly doing the unthinkable and singling out the recently deceased) resulted in mitch mconnell and trump being able to cement a conservative majority. seriously, if you survive cancer diagnosis multiple times and make it to late 70s, every day is a gift, but you gotta know you have already cheated death to make it so far.

gd is listening to his the talky radio again and believing that biden is looking for a way to add "radical" liberals to the Court. doubtful. biden has a fractured democrat party with no clear ideology. has gd been paying any attention whatsoever to recent senate votes? replacements, when and if they become available, is not gonna be from far end o' the spectrum, though as we has noted more than once, the liberal-conservative bit don't work so well for most Justices. also, am suspecting given how effective kagan has been at lobbying fellow members o' the Court in recent decisions, she may have some input and is doubtful she would recommend radical. 

oh, and if all the weird sources gd absorbs today is selling him and other independents on the threat o' the radical liberal agenda, imagine how loud will be such apocalyptic warnings when the midterms roll around as they inevitably do.  no matter who biden might nominate there will be alt-right and far right wingnuts claiming such persons is radical... 'cause they made same stoopid accusations 'bout biden o' all people. biden is unlikely to provide republicans with any extra talking points.

am suspecting that at least until after the midterms, genuine radical appointments for the Court is unlikely.

breyer is 82. is somehow insensitive to point out that while breyer might survive the biden administration, he is unlikely to be mental or physical fit to maintain his role on the Court for the next administration? if not asking breyer now, then when?

and for those persons who suggest that folks such as breyer and ginsburg have earned the right to decide when they is gonna retire am gonna point out we ain't talking 'bout a greeter at the local walmart. these are retirement choices which may affect hundred o' millions for many decades into the future. is not as if biden can force breyer to retire, but it would be f'ing irresponsible not to have the conversation if breyer is too obtuse to bring up the subject himself.

HA! Good Fun!

ps for perspective, am recalling merrick garland being described as radical by a few alt-right pundits, which in light o' garland's voluminous history o' opinions were a patent ridiculous accusation. 'course judge garland's position on second amendment issues mighta seemed radical to gd, but otherwise...

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

After Heller and MacDonald I am not really worried about the second amendment anymore. Besides at the end of the day I have no qualms whatsoever about open disobedience to a law I disagree with. I suspect I am far from alone on that count.  And I believe you’ll recall I said Garland should’ve gotten a vote. Not saying he should’ve been confirmed but they did him dirty by not even giving him a chance. I seriously doubt Biden wants the left picking his Supreme Court nominees but you better believe if a vacancy comes up they are going to call in the favor they did for him by supporting them. I am far more concerned about “court packing”. Like I said that could get out of hand in a big hurry.

And yes I think it is wrong and ageism at its nastiest for them to tell Breyer he needs to go now. That is his goddamn seat. A president nominated him, the Senate confirmed him and it’s his until he wants to give it up. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Besides, I’m sticking with my original prediction that all those people who hated Kavanaugh Will be singing his praises in a few years. That guy is the second coming of David Souter

Thomas Sowell

Hah... This will never happen, although I would like to see it. 

https://abcnews.go.com/International/putin-challenges-biden-debate-president-calls-killer/story?id=76539031

Putin just made a check mate move. 

Looking how long it takes for Biden to do an unscrippted press conference, we know he is in no mental shape for a debate.

If he will take this up, he will get demolished by Putin. 

If he will not take it, he will look evasive and weak. How would anyone take such a leader seriously on the world stage? 

If they will try to push Kamala for the debate, they will only admit that Biden is really a figure-head, a puppet. And she would lose it as well, as she would have a typical ignorant view of the world and its history. 

• Haha 1

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-wants-apology-u-biden-083815591-222819179.html

Putin has asked Biden to a live debate due to Biden calling him a "killer " 

Its something that should not be entertained in any way because this is a good example of the contempt and disrespect Putin has for Biden and the Democrats. The Russians have realized and seen Bidens ....mental challengers and Putin is taking advantage of this. Its pure theater the request but obviously the debate would be real and end up embarrassing the USA and making Biden look much worse 

Putin is a very formidable debater when he is comfortable with his opponent so it would be a very unfair debate and not create the right impression when Putin " wins"

So you just reject this invite in some diplomatic way as its not about  a sincere debate 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

this is just... stoopid. if trump challenged biden to a debate to prove he were innocent o' impending tax or business crimes o' which he is being accused, we would all recognize the naked ackjassery o' the suggestion. nevertheless, somehow putin is doing the svengali bit and a few o' you folks is buying the act.  a debate don't somehow prove you is innocent o' anything, but putin, 'cause he is putin, wants to deflect and distract.  am not disappointed in putin, but is curious anybody would fall for such utter transparent bs.

putin would show up to a debate and lie. duh. what is the freaking point o' such a debate if is being presented as some kinda refutation o' the "killer" accusation? meanwhile putin would make up more fantastical bs such as the russians were selling during the 2020 election and far too many o' you jokers would get distracted... just as you did during the election.  

never underestimate a mark's capacity to be duped.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Funnily enough the reason for offering the debate is exactly the same as the reason for Biden calling Putin a 'killer', ie playing to the audience. Make yourself look strong, and your enemy look weak. Biden draws a line under perceived Trumpian weakness towards Russia, Putin knows that Biden won't debate him... back for round 2 in a couple of years/ months/ weeks. Any other interpretation of either man's position is fabulism.

And no, no one underestimates a mark's ability to be duped, especially when they're hearing something they desperately want to be true. Hence people actually believing- well OK, to forestall argument, on this forum just posting articles and defending such articles literally for years, purely as an academic exercise that expressed no personal belief- that Russia would be bankrupt in 6 months back in 2014.

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-wants-apology-u-biden-083815591-222819179.html

Putin has asked Biden to a live debate due to Biden calling him a "killer " 

Its something that should not be entertained in any way because this is a good example of the contempt and disrespect Putin has for Biden and the Democrats. The Russians have realized and seen Bidens ....mental challengers and Putin is taking advantage of this. Its pure theater the request but obviously the debate would be real and end up embarrassing the USA and making Biden look much worse 

Putin is a very formidable debater when he is comfortable with his opponent so it would be a very unfair debate and not create the right impression when Putin " wins"

So you just reject this invite in some diplomatic way as its not about  a sincere debate 

Diplomacy is weird sometimes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Not a match. A tournament. Please invite Lula and Bolsonaro too.

Unreal Tournament.

28 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Unreal Tournament.

An online gaming tournament between various Presidents and Prime Ministers would certainly give new meaning to the term Leader Board.

The thought of Jacinda Ardern gibbing noobs while spamming #BeKind and #Aroha in chat fills me with a certain amusement. Though if rumours are true Kim Jong Un would almost certainly win even without the Best Korea stereotype.

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Funnily enough the reason for offering the debate is exactly the same as the reason for Biden calling Putin a 'killer', ie playing to the audience. Make yourself look strong, and your enemy look weak. Biden draws a line under perceived Trumpian weakness towards Russia, Putin knows that Biden won't debate him... back for round 2 in a couple of years/ months/ weeks. Any other interpretation of either man's position is fabulism.

And no, no one underestimates a mark's ability to be duped, especially when they're hearing something they desperately want to be true. Hence people actually believing- well OK, to forestall argument, on this forum just posting articles and defending such articles literally for years, purely as an academic exercise that expressed no personal belief- that Russia would be bankrupt in 6 months back in 2014.

exact proving our point about deflection and lying. your help is appreciated.

HA! Good Fun!

13 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Putin just made a check mate move. 

It's not really anything. At most Biden could only get a draw by participating, so why bother? He can hurt Putin more through other means, including rectifying our soured relations with European states.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

23 minutes ago, rjshae said:

It's not really anything. At most Biden could only get a draw by participating, so why bother? He can hurt Putin more through other means, including rectifying our soured relations with European states.

He can't do s- with EU relations. Not until US will drop from the high horse position and start taking into account various EU sensitivities and areas of interests. 

Macron calls US cultural trends harmful, Angela has vested interests in making sure she can work with Russia in regards to natural resources and market for german automibiles and other equipment. 

A lot of EU is more interested in business with China and normalization in middle east, including improving relations with Iran. 

The only reliable puppet was until recently Poland with its currently rusophobic government, which also plays a tune of German and Russian coalition to destroy Poland. This however got out of the window when Trump lost presidencial race. The "wokeism" of current US policymakers is faaaaar away from the values they could accept in Central, Eastern and Southern Europe. 

Thanks to Powell US dollar is trash currently, and there is a significant probability that USD will lose its reserve currency status during Bidens presidency (it would be same case if Trump would stay) 

USA is losing its soft and hard power projection capabilities at a significant pace. The only thing that's losing credibility and power faster than USA is the EU as a governing body of unified nations. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

He can't do s- with EU relations. Not until US will drop from the high horse position and start taking into account various EU sensitivities and areas of interests. 

Oh, I have to disagree. Diplomacy doesn't work like that. We don't need to kiss butt to improve relations; just smooth things over, find common interests, and all will be fine.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

3 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

That's what you get for not boarding at a terminal with extendable gates. Damn low airfare travelers 😛

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, rjshae said:

Oh, I have to disagree. Diplomacy doesn't work like that. We don't need to kiss butt to improve relations; just smooth things over, find common interests, and all will be fine.

Yep. A permanent break could have happened if Trump had been reelected but still would have required something like NATO breaking up to add that permanence. As it is it's pretty easy for a Biden US and Europe to go back to status quo ante Trump even by something as simple as not actively sniping at each other and keeping disagreements in house more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Yep. A permanent break could have happened if Trump had been reelected but still would have required something like NATO breaking up to add that permanence. As it is it's pretty easy for a Biden US and Europe to go back to status quo ante Trump even by something as simple as not actively sniping at each other and keeping disagreements in house more.

As long as US will step aside on many trade and regional meddling, sure it's possible as on the strategic layer it's good to have a muscle backing your daily reality, but EU, especially France nd Germany have much different interests politically and trade wise, than what US would see to fit them. 

Which country in EU now is a strong voice in terms of supporting US initiatives? It was difficult even during the Obama era, and you think that now, after Trump, and with volatile people becoming more prominent in US politics, this will be better? 

Biden is effectively a figure head, sheltered and for occasional statment airing only. Who is running the show, hmm?