Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the game but I was wondering if a build like the following is doable, viable, and good. I was hoping to make a Rogue/Cipher multiclass in TB mode, dual wielding pistols as well as dual wielding sabres. Is this a good build and would it work with being able to switch between the two weapon sets? And, if so, what subclasses would work best for this? My thinking is to sneaky and backstabby to start, and follow that up by escaping to be shooty and spell blasty from a distance. Would this work?

Edited by JB21212
Formatting

In turn based, weapon swapping takes a standard action, so other than move that's all you do for a turn.  It could work, yes, if you initiate in melee, then the next round move away and swap.  Black Jacket (I believe that's the correct warrior subclass) gets free action weapon swap, and there's a mod on Nexus that lets you either/or use the first money Berath's Blessing for that for the Watcher, or adds that functionality to the Arms Master passive (the one that unlocks an additional weapon set), and that can be used on the Watcher or companions.

The concept for the build is fine.  The idea behind it would work just fine in either TB or RTWP.

Not a huge fan of ciphers for Turn Based. You spend your turns either attacking and building Focus or casting powers.

Meanwhile other casters usually can keep casting every round.

As for classes... hmm.. Assasin specializes in big blows, that could generate a lot of Focus - and can also vanish in safety as a Free Action. Potentially cast a Disintegrate or some some with huge Assassinate Accuracy bonus.

The Cipher subclass could be a Beguiler, as he is less reliant on actual attacks to gather Focus.

1 hour ago, Haplok said:

Not a huge fan of ciphers for Turn Based. You spend your turns either attacking and building Focus or casting powers.

to be fair, this is true of ciphers in RTwP as well, aside from psions or beguiler shenanigans. 

though i can imagine the action economy is a lot tighter in TB mode.

Is there a non-Cipher build that you'd recommend for TB? Rogue/Fighter? Rogue/Paladin? 

I feel like I've restarted the game 50 times trying to find some combination that feels satisfying to me. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, something with a lot of options that can do a bunch of damage, I guess. I tried a couple Assassin builds but they just felt rather repetitive to me of "sneak --> big attack --> repeat" 

Any fund TB builds you could recommend? 

14 hours ago, thelee said:

to be fair, this is true of ciphers in RTwP as well, aside from psions or beguiler shenanigans. 

though i can imagine the action economy is a lot tighter in TB mode.

I think it is more restrictive/rigid in Turn Based. Some attacks in Real Time can be pretty quick, while providing a lot of Focus. Some weaker Powers can also be spammed much faster then effectively every 6 second blocks.

But my POV mostly applies to an Ascendant, who, should he fail to Ascend in the 1st round, would feel late to the party (and therefore not contributing enough). It might be that the other ciphers are okay-ish.

22 hours ago, JB21212 said:

Is there a non-Cipher build that you'd recommend for TB? Rogue/Fighter? Rogue/Paladin? 

I feel like I've restarted the game 50 times trying to find some combination that feels satisfying to me. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, something with a lot of options that can do a bunch of damage, I guess. I tried a couple Assassin builds but they just felt rather repetitive to me of "sneak --> big attack --> repeat" 

Any fund TB builds you could recommend? 

Rogue/Fighter works okay, as long as you build him for Riposte and/or Disengagement attacks.

One attack per round (2 if dual-wielding) really isn't spectacular. But if you can greatly damage enemies passively, while they try to attack or you move around the battlefield or they try to run away from you (Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage from Trickster), that can be a solid contribution.

I tend to recommend casters for Turn Based. Among them, the Wizard shines the most due to his multitude of Free Action buffs. A Bloodmage is even better IMO, as his Blood Sacrifice is also a Free Action, so he's capable of fully buffing on round 1 and then using Blood Sacrifice to recover all these spell slots used + cast another serious spell. Single Class Bloodmage should be okay.

As far as muticlassing goes, I know you wrote you're not too fond of the Assassin, but he really fits like a glove in Turn Based caster multiclassing. Free Action stealth with Shadowing Beyond to make your wizard untargetable and safe while he casts - and land a nuke or CC with +25 Accuracy, +4 PEN and +50% Crit damage.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 2