I loved PoE one (was pretty pissed about the ending though), but I just gotta say Deadfire is a masterpiece. The changes to combat, the character interactions, ships, the graphics. Absolutely A++ work.

And you brought Eder back even, everyone's fave, and some how made him better.

Xoti's awesome too, hoping to buy her a drink later, see if she's interested in a little reaping.

Cheers, and thanks,

Monjoie

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ey up mate.

Yeah Deadfire is a massive improvement over PoE in many ways. I'm not the biggest fan of Xoti, i don't hate the character or anything I just find her annoying. Tekehu is my boy, the smarmy arrogant wonderful bastard.

nowt

Story sucked compared to poe1 but everything else was spot on. Making each stat, might, perception, resolve etc, worthwhile was a great improvement over older nostalgia dependent games. 

Open world is another a plus improvement. Its definitely the future of gaming especially as devs get better at it. Advantages of linear story telling are becoming fewer as games implement better ai, random scenarios and plot points. 

I agree that Tekehu is also pretty sweet. I'm really liking Maia, in fact I sat Aloth on the bench despite being more powerful just cause I enjoy her banter. 

And yeah the story is kinda meh in comparison, but it also doesn't matter. The driving force is how cool all the side stories are, the truly MASSIVE amount of things to do. I've got the watcher to lvl 13 and I don't think I've even done a third of what's available. The best part is all the side quests are actually interesting. I'm just looking for turnips for xp or some bunk like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, I liked PoE 1 but i also preferred Deadfire. I don't think the main story was that weak, I liked that it didn't funnel you into one clear "good" ending. Really bummed when I discovered that it had moderate sales figures, I can not figure why. This  game should've been at DOS2 level of commercial success, it truly deserves it.

My only regret was that there was no Endless Paths in Deadfire.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Methodic Doubt said:

My only regret was that there was no Endless Paths in Deadfire.

This divides opinions. I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other. I would have been happy with an Endless Path type of thing, but only if it was done a lot better than the original Endless Paths. It was unnecessarily stretched and contained far too few ideas; at least half the levels were just filler stuff, and that was poor.

By the way, I think the biggest disappointment in all of PoE can be found at the bottom of the Endless Paths. It's twofold:

1) After defeating the dragon, you see an awful lot of gold in its hoard. There's even a clickable question mark which tells you that there really is an awful lot of gold here. But in fact you can only pick a couple of thousand copper pands from the hoard. This was so poor, so poor. I fully understand why Obsidian might not want to give the player unlimited gold (or just ridiculous amounts of it), but in that case, please do not put ridiculous amounts of it on display. Have some logic! 😀

2) Essentially The First Law of Role-playing is that proper dragons have good loot. This one doesn't. I know @Boeroer disagrees, it was either the crossbow or the shield that he thinks is really good, and as he knows the system so much better he's probably right, but when I killed the dragon, I was mightily disappointed with the loot: none of the items looked any good. In that game, I never even tried any of them, and I never felt they would have helped me in any situation. This was so strange, because you can find a mightily good sword (Tidefall) from a mere drake a lot earlier on in the game.

tekehu might be the best character in poe

really didn't expect even obsidian can make a companion so good

as for the endless path

the two dlc of deadfire have much better massive dungeon

though the big statue map certainly looks impressive

@xzar_montyThe shield! The crossbow: laaaame. :)

It is true that the loot from the Adra Dragon's hoard feels underwhelming - especially if you play the game for the first time. That fight is a big challenge compared to everything else you did before. The devs could have placed something cooler there and I would have welcomed that. The fight/loot against/from Cail the Silent feels more rewarding - even though he's just a Drake. But he sits on Tidefall which is so good that (potentially) early in the game. Would have been nice if the Adra Dragon dropped something that would be similarly exciting at that stage of the game. The Adra Dragon Scales are nice of course - but actually the difference between exceptional and superb is not that big so...  

I merely object to people saying stuff like "the loot is useless™" oder "bad" or so. Little Savior is one of the best shields in the game (but only if you understand the mechanics well), the scepter is good (but not the best), the armor is good (but also not breathtaking) - the crossbow is pretty lame because the speed mechanic doesn't affect reloading. But still: all the unique items you find come with superb quality which is pretty great if you have to equip a whole party. It's just not very exciting loot - like for example stuff like Stormcaller is (not necessarily because it's more powerful but mainly because it's different, has special effects and is cool as heck imo). It also doesn't help that there's no unique spell in Minoletta's Grimoire. If there would have been some kick-ass unique spell I think people wouldn't complain as much. Maybe. ;)   

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I personally did prefer the Endless Paths to the overworld exploration in Deadfire. Having to back out into the world map, watch the ship move from point A to point B, and then walk into another cave really breaks the flow of the game for me. Also there's really very little exposition on most of the islands you explore compared to the player piecing together just who the Master Below is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NotDumbEnough said:

Also there's really very little exposition on most of the islands you explore compared to the player piecing together just who the Master Below is.

That's a fair point. Will have to agree.

@Boeroer: I don't know about you, but for me the coolest weapons in PoE are Tidefall, Stormcaller and Persistence. Not necessarily the best (I can't really say), but they sure are cool and have nice abilities. There's also that soulbound scepter, but it has the annoying habit of dominating enemies, and I don't want that. I want to get rid of them.

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

1) After defeating the dragon, you see an awful lot of gold in its hoard. There's even a clickable question mark which tells you that there really is an awful lot of gold here. But in fact you can only pick a couple of thousand copper pands from the hoard. This was so poor, so poor. I fully understand why Obsidian might not want to give the player unlimited gold (or just ridiculous amounts of it), but in that case, please do not put ridiculous amounts of it on display. Have some logic! 😀

One thing I really liked in Deadfire was:

Spoiler

that series of bounties that gives you chunks of a map, which you can piece together to find the location of buried treasure, where you actually do find a bunch of jewels and money

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...