new player with some questions on builds

I would like - but I'm still that overhelmed with all that new mechanics that I feel quite lost...

...and it's about 20 years ago that I played Icewinddale - BG even some years more (not that would even help much, as everything seems to have changed meanwhile).

Party set-up should be more or less the following:

1. Paladin: Ploi - Wood Elf - MC - Sword & Shield Tank

2. Cleric: Schemer's Needler - Hearth Orlan - still quite unsure if this is "enough" cleric - dual-wielding - DPS & Cleric

3. Barb: Cauterizer - Coastal Aumaua - 2-handed, max DPS

4. Chanter: Chillfog - Pale Elf - Sword & Shield - 2nd Tank & Debuffer (at least my understanding of this build)

5. Cypher: - maybe ranged - what will this one be best in as caster?

6. Wizard: - still no idea what would fit best for this party, but as I already got Aloth, this will be the last decision I guess.

Which one would be best to cover Mechanics?

For 5. and 6. I would prefer to take a Moon Godlike and another Elf or Human

5. ranged Cypher - but would a Moon Godlike be a good choice for a ranged-build?

6. maybe a CC-wizard or a spellsword? A Moon Godlike Spellsword could be nice - but I guess this would make the party much to melee-heavy?

OR (and maybe better):

5. A melee Cypher (off-)Tank - Moon Godlike, but will this build still get fast enough focus without retaliation?

6. Wizard - Wood Elf - full caster - would guess CC could help that quite melee-heavy party a lot

Edited by demon72

You can roll Kalakoth blaster wizard then if you want moon godlike. It nicely offset self-hitting nature of dangerous implements. Character will summon Kalakoth minor blights, cast Delaterious Alacrity of Motion on himself and spam autoattack. Very simple build - high MIG, high INT, High PER, dump res. don't dump con. For talents - Blast, Penetrating blast, marksman, weapon focus: Noble, dangerous implements. Very simple to roll

Cipher, Chanter and Wizard all viable possibility for machanist as they have intrinsic bonus to mechanics.

Ranged Cipher... Do you want gunner or bowman? Cipher can be just insane with bow at high level becoming pretty much PoE version of doom 2016 machinegun in siege mode. On other hand there is really sweet blunderbuss in game and cipher get focus for each pellet strike seperately xD

Kalakoth blaster wizard - do I find this build somewhere?

Kalakoth minor blights - is this a spell or an item, as I don't find it in the spell / item list?

But I guess this would be a ranged-DPS Wizard?

As said, I have absolutely no idea - but are there not already enough DPS-builds in that party-setup?

I would tend to go more in a support-Caster (CC or whatever fits best) direction...

...if a wizard is the wrong choice for that, I would also be fine with a Druid or 2nd Cleric - but it would feel somehow strange, not to have a wizard in my party...

...alternative I could go all-in for melee and take a tanky spellsword (but no idea if this party would survive PotD that way).

But the caster decision interacts somehow with the Cypher-build - if this will be melee or ranged...

...and what caster-role a Cypher could provide...

4 minutes ago, demon72 said:

Kalakoth blaster wizard - do I find this build somewhere?

Kalakoth minor blights - is this a spell or an item, as I don't find it in the spell / item list?

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kalakoth's_Minor_Blights

It is both spell and item. Spell summons wand which has absolutely ridiculous stats + hit in AOE + each enemy hit by this AOE trigger blast talent AOE providing even more interlaping AOE. It's not anything too special in term of build. - too little things needed to make it work(basically 3 spells and high int and might). From spells you'll require Infuse with Vital Essence on tier 2 spells, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion and Kalakoth's Minor Blights on tier lvl 3 and thats close to it. Feel free to experiment with other. Citzal's Martial Power also really great with this build but I prefer my wizard not to loose casting ability. Apart from that Wizards in PoE can learn spells from other grimoires so feel free to experiment. out of 4*8=24 different spells you can prepare for encounter to make kalakoth's blight user you need just 3/4. Feel free to fill other slots with chill fog and other CC stuff. Setup CC, Summon blights, autoattack till it time to renew CC

16 minutes ago, demon72 said:

But the caster decision interacts somehow with the Cypher-build - if this will be melee or ranged...

...and what caster-role a Cypher could provide...

Ciphers are generally CC. It does not interact as cipher need to do damage to recharge himself. Essentially you have two mods - damage dealing charging, and CC casting

• Like 1

...I was just looking around a little bit deeper in this forum and found that one:

• if these builds are that good as stated, why they never made it in the build list?
  • is this post still actual?
  • do you agree on the made observations?
  • are casters really that powerfull?
  • and where do you get all these portraits?

Edited by demon72

14 minutes ago, demon72 said:

if these builds are that good as stated, why they never made it in the build list?

Check out the requirements for getting on build list. It include certain rules that was not followed there. Additionally list stopped updating long ago

15 minutes ago, demon72 said:

are casters really that powerfull?

No, Thery are even more powerful xD

15 minutes ago, demon72 said:

and where do you get all these portraits?

Who knows. In net? Made themselves? Its not hard to add custom portrait to game: 

• Like 1

...so I could also pick the one or the other build from there without getting any problems?

...as the builds seems to be quite different as the ones listed here and I'm not sure if I understand all made decisions.

Especially the number of Godlikes as I found many comments about great head-gear in the DLCs.

You can't respec race, subrace, background and class. For story companions you also can't respec their first level, though it is possible to change stats for main character and IIRC for custom companions. And frankly race and background generally absolutely irrelevant anyway dew to how weak (by design) stat effect on character performance is

• Like 1

As I'm still L2, I think I will restart with the following party:

1. Priest: Boeroer - Schemer's Needler (MC)
  2. Paladin: Boeroer - Ploi
  3. Druid: Heldred - Malakai
  4. Chanter: Heldred - Cira
  5. Wizard: Heldred - Tyrus
  6. Cypher: Heldred / Melee-Tank-build - but still guessing about the basic stats...
Edited by demon72

Mechanics skill - and only mechanics. When you are in scouting mode (aka stealth mode) you'll get a bonus. So always make sure you are in scouting mode when exploring new areas.

For example in order to find Tidefall in a heap you need minimum 10 mechanics and have to be in scouting mode.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I restarted with a party of 3 (will add the other 3 on L5 or 6).

1. Schemer's Needle (L3)
  2. Druid (L2)
  3. Wizard (L2)

...trying to do some "harder" mission fights (e.g. the Bandit Camp in Black Meadow) to gain XP - I'm curious about a few issues:

• how do you manage to get 2 or even 3 buffs before you got overrun?
  • how do you target offensive spells efficiently? (there is so much delay, that I try to calculate where the enemies will be, but most of the time my party is already sorrunded...
  • what are good offensive priest spells on L1 and L2?

...so far I start combat from 12m with a ranged weapon and instantly starting to buff - but if I'm lucky, I get 1 buff without getting interrupted / attacked!

...or is the Bandit camp just to early and I better do other quests first (but Temple of Eothas doesn't seem to be much easier - and "a Mother's Plea" is already finished)...

Edited by demon72

The bandit camp is quite hard. 

Use chokepoints. Block the path to other party members utilizing obstacles/environment. That way enemies will gather in front of the tank/front line and will not move around a lot.

I will always start combat with Inspiring Radiance and cast Chillfog simultaneously. Pulsing spells like Chillfog change their ACC on a per-pulse basis. That means that even if you have cast it before an ACC buff that comes afterwards will affect all the following pulses. 

If you didn't already notice: you don't get a lot of XP from combat. Most XP by far comes from quests. Even he most simple ones. You don't need to fight the bandits. You can also just sneak in there and steal the crate from under their noses.

If I were you I would also pick up all official companions youc an gt so far: Aloth, Edér ad Durance. That way the fight in the bandit camp won't be that hard anymore.

Soloing in the early game includes a lot of pulling and kiting.

...loaded an older save an added 5 instead of just 2 Mercs when entering the black hound the first time - what a difference, more or less a walk in the park with a party of 6...

Some more Questions:

1. Health

are there any spells that restore the health of your party not just restoring the endurance?

As with just restoring endurance the risc of getting killed seems to increase significantly!

2. What's next?

after finishing...

• Valewood
  • Gilded Vale (without Temple)
  • Esternwood
  • Magran's Fork
  • Anslög's Compass
  • Black Meadow

...what should be the next steps?

• Temple in Gilded Vale
  • Caed Nua
  • anything else?

3. Reputation (MC):

1. does the reputation of the MC has just an effect, if the MC is Priest or Paladin?
  2. does a Palaladin/Priest (Merc/Companion) get affected by the reputation of the MC?
  3. how much should you care about the "right" and the "wrong" reputation if the MC is Priest or Paladin?
  4. does all reputations that are not favored or disfavored have any effect?

4. Party Reputation:

1. what effect has the party reputation?
  2. what is the difference if I'm "hero" in Gilded Vale or not?
  3. are there any places where the reputation really makes a difference?

5. Time:

1. is time relevant for any quests?
  2. does time has any effect (besides random loot)?

6. Compangnion:

1. can you miss their personal quests if you wait to long?
  2. ...or complete some main quests
  3. at which point is the Compangnions XP set? If you talk to them the first time or if they join the party the first time?

7. Save-Games:

• where does PoE "hides" your savegames (with steam)?
  • They are always hard to find if you use steam, but in this case I have no idea where else to look!
Edited by demon72

26 minutes ago, demon72 said:

can you miss their personal quests if you wait to long?

Yes. Aloth personal quest will be permanently failed if you finish act 2 without finishing it. Also it triggers in specific place which from outlook looks random

28 minutes ago, demon72 said:

at which point is the Compangnions XP set? If you talk to them the first time or if they join the party the first time?

Party joining

28 minutes ago, demon72 said:

is time relevant for any quests?

Not exactly. There are some cases when time of day metter, or you need to take a rest, but nothing more. It's not Pathologic - you are not on permanent timer

29 minutes ago, demon72 said:

does time has any effect (besides random loot)?

Payment to guards and taxes for stronghold comes by days.

30 minutes ago, demon72 said:

2. What's next?

Doesn't metter. None of them autofail so feel free. In term of "difficulty"(i/e mechanics needed) I'd went Temple -> Nua -> Raedrick

32 minutes ago, demon72 said:

are there any spells that restore the health of your party not just restoring the endurance?

Field triange and Wound Binding in other talents. Infuse with Vital essence partially(it gives + max hp when casted\drunk as potion and after it finishes your HP just  have it max number cut back to natural as in it does not subtract amount of actual health you have). Other then that - no, so be careful and use rest

• Like 1