Any powerful build left after overnerfs?

Hi all,

First of all, please if you were going to tell thing like "all classes are powerful, it depends on your play style" - please go elsewhere. I know it without your notice. Fact is that Obsidian never leaves it's games alone - always changes them and changes in worst side. If some skill/race/whatever is too powerful and fun it should be overnerfed and turned into boring weakling. If I correctly understand Obsidian's philosophy, they prefer everything around to be grey and boring. Last time I was playing this game long ago and I know there were super mega nerfs making certain classes not only weak, but almost unplayable. For example once druids were good, after 5.0 they nerfed it into oblivion, after removing storm's stun ability - turning it into total feces.

I have no time to perform scientific research and read about all classes they changed and what they changed etc. etc. Anyway strategies that worked long ago probably will never work with latest build. So I have simple question: is there any powerful class still left after all those overnerfs? When I say powerful I do not mean some average Joe - I mean any powergaming build left or only 50 tones of gray?

Thanks in advance.

Yet you can't prevent it. I post where I want - and mostly reasonably. So deal with it or block me in your exquisite 5-year-old rage.

But always remember:
<deleted>

Edited by Gorth
Lets have none of that, even if its in German
  • Hmmm 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Boerer,

You are forum troll and I never feed you kind, sorry. Welcome to my ignore list. 

And about 5 years old - a person who acts like Eric Cartman and uses "I know but I never tell, cause I do not like your message, but I still post garbage in your topic" - calls somebody 5 years old! Astonishing!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Makumba666 said:

You are forum troll and I never feed you kind, sorry. Welcome to my ignore list.

He is not a troll, though, and his response to your original post was quite justified, even if it was harsh. If you read your original post again, you should be able to notice that it is not particularly reasonable: it is petulant, right down to the vocabulary you use (feces, grey and boring, boring weakling, etc.). You can be mightily dissatisfied with Obsidian's approach, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you choose the tone you chose, you can't really complain if others think you're quite childish.

• Thanks 5
  • Hmmm 1

Indeed.

Man I despise that behavior. How can anybody start a conversation that way? Especially if one wants help or information? It's like entering the soup kitchen and yelling "Ok suckers I know your soups suck ass but gimme the best you have - but pronto!". What type of character does that? I would reckon the chances to get good soup or info significantly drops once you come off as a douche right from the start. 

Interesting thing about the ignore list is that everybody else can still read how you get a good scolding for childish behavior - and other users can still quote the ignored user. The ignoring user will still see those quotes. It's a weird implementation and nowhere near a blocking function like with Twitter where you can just exclude somebody from your thread. 

Edit: Funny - now I could just go and share all that overpowered stuff but OP wouldn't be able to see it, hehe. I mean unless somebody quotes me of course.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Yes - but honestly using scrolls is a bit OP anyways. :)
Downside is that Twinned Shots comes pretty late. Of course you can use other abilities before that and Driving Flight comes a bit earlier which already has a good impact. But the real deal is with Twinned Shots. You can wear a melee weapon in the offhand. For example Scordeo's Edge for the sweet ACC bonus. That way you can also use Whirling Strikes with the mortar once you get surrounded. Pretty similar effect to Twinned Shot. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Another OP build is Berserker/Troubadour or /Beckoner with Grave Calling ench. with Chilling Grave.

You summon Ancient Brittle Bones, start Berserker Frenzy and attack one of your own skeletons. It will die and proc Chilling Grave (foe only Chillfog normally but you are confused, making it cause friendly fire) which will kill all the other skellies, all triggering more Chilling Graves. The replacement skellies will get summoned automatically - which will also die instantly and proc more Chillfogs. Meanwhile Many Lives Pass By will summon a big skellie every 3 secs (or 6 if Beckoner) which automatically runs towards the enemy and dies from the chillfogs, triggerning another chillfog. 
All chilling graves profit from weapon quality and weapon dmg bonuses (like legendary, One Stands Alone, Blooded, Bloody Slaughter, Killer's Gloves and whatnot).

The paralyzing effect "Grave Bound" also gets tirggered by the chillfogs so you have perma-paralyzed enemies who stand in dozens and more chillfogs, dying. This all happens in a matter of seconds (and will freeze your GPU if it's too weak).

If you want you can also cast Avenging Storm because every hitt roll of those Chillfogs will trigger it (official weapon attack) - but it's totally not necessary imo. Things die superfast anyway.

• Haha 1

Another fun combo is Fighter/Bloodmage. Wall of Draining is OP anyways but it's especially fun with Unbending. Unbeding gives you seperate small healing over time instances for evey hit you receive. With Wall of Draining you prolong all those endlessly. You can reach over 1000 healing per 3 secs that way. 

Use Cap of the Laughingstock to leech time from every enemy with Wall of Draining even if they don't use any benefical effects themselves: because Cap of the Laughingstock puts a BENEFICAL effect on all enemies automatically (not hit roll) named "Village Fool" which has no duration (always on). The game just checks if the enemy has a benefical effect on them and will allow Wall of Draining to leech duration if thee is a benefical effect. Tadaa! 

Downside is that you can't use RES afflictions on them anymore. nd your deflection gets -10. Upside is that deflection of enemies is also -10 (again - no hit roll, just automatically).  

Edited by Boeroer

Then try to use Current's Rush (scepter from BoW) with a Ranger with Driving Flight an Twinned Shots:
The scepter has a small chance to proc a watery AoE on crit. The beauty is that that AoE can proc off itself. If you can gather enough enemies it will result in a chain reaction where all of them die instantly. Sometimes you have to fire 1 Twinned Shot for that to happen, sometomes 5. But eventually it will happen. 
It's OP and fun but of course you need to get there and the way isn't particularly exciting. 

Helwalker with dual mortars and Whispers of the Wind & Resonant Touch is one. And it's even fun before reaching PL 8 and 9 because Stunning Surge works so well with the AoE of mortars (and that profits from Duality's INT bonus). Whispers of the Wind is an AoE Full Attack, mortars do AoE attacks... you might guess where this is going especially when looking at Resonant Touch. 

I forgot to mention that the Community Patch nerfed the Blinding Smoke/Avenging Storm trick. But you can just alter the specific nerf in the mod files with a plain old text editor and remove that nerf if you wish. 

Maybe that's because I like mortars so much - so naturally the broken builds I stumble upon have a high chance of containing mortars. ;)

Here's something which is not with mortars but OP in the early game: Streetfighter/Berserker with Essence Interrupter. Activate the Hunting Bow modal and Frenzy. You will come to bloodied health quickly because of the self dmg. You will have insane attack speed all the time (first bc. of Frenzy + modal, then bc. modal + Streetfighter passive). Blooded + Streetfighter passive will grant very good dmg per shot and the shooting frequency is insane. You can blast through Gorecci Str. and Digside with almost no effort as long as you can keep enemies away from that guy. 

Dude, you can easily find builds on google. Theres a youtuber more than willing to help you, no matter how deserving, for a like and subscribe.

Whats funny is a lot of google searches for builds or class advice bring up threads from this very forum by these very posters. 

I dont blame them for refusing you help but believe me they have no choice. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 12:44 PM, xzar_monty said:

He is not a troll, though, and his response to your original post was quite justified, even if it was harsh. If you read your original post again, you should be able to notice that it is not particularly reasonable: it is petulant, right down to the vocabulary you use (feces, grey and boring, boring weakling, etc.). You can be mightily dissatisfied with Obsidian's approach, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you choose the tone you chose, you can't really complain if others think you're quite childish.

If he didn't like the way the question was asked, why make this post ? Especially since his tone "i know the answer but i wont tell you hehe" was quite childish too. Why not answer, and adding a note considering the tone of the post ? Certainly would've been a more reasonable way to deal with it rather than antagonize and act like an entitled bully.

For op, i'm having fun playing this atm https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107909-deathless-thaumaturge-build-solo-potd/
But its quite tricky to get it rolling, needs to be high level to work perfectly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Methodic Doubt said:

Why not answer, and adding a note considering the tone of the post ? Certainly would've been a more reasonable way to deal with it rather than antagonize and act like an entitled bully.

It takes a lot of time to write a lengthy post about all the OP combos that are left in the game. I feel less inclined to invest that time if somebody asks for information like that. Forum veterans know that I'm not shy when it's about sharing info about the game. You just have to ask for it like a normal person would do and you'll get buried with info, you're welcome.

And after all I shared plenty of OP combos afterwards as you can see.

Not saying anything at all isn't an option because I think such toxic behavior has to be addressed immediately - like I would do in real life, too. There's no merit in just looking away when people act like that.

I don't think that somebody who calls out a grown up man who's acting like an entitled child is a bully. Maybe it's not my business to teach other people manners - but I'll try nonetheless. I don't like that attitude and tone here - this usually is a very pleasant community - especially for newcomers of the non-pissy kind - and I'd like it to stay that way.

Speaking about "more reasonable": I have no problem whatsoever with criticism - if it's brought forth reasonably. Maybe my first reaction was too harsh - but this was not OP's first thread where he was acting like this and that might have given me some bias. :) You can also see it in his introduction where he's like "don't tell me it depends" - that's what I tell people all the time (because it's true). 

Here's the other thread he started with the same kind of introduction (but less offensive imo - but I might misremember):

Edited by Boeroer