Anime - A Rollercoaster of Emotion

Amentep

12 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Saw his transformation,

Hide contents

it happened at the same time Sailor Moon changed. That would be too obvious if it was always like this, somebody would eventually see it. So I guess it is not necessarily at the same time.

And it seemed like he didn’t know what was going on, so maybe he doesn’t remember his time as Tuxedo Mask?

This thread has lots of posts, if anyone else wants to start watching SM they'll probably not read everything, but I'll hide spoilers just in case.

So it is much faster, but they get naked? They probably just don't mention it to each other and pretend nothing unusual happens. 

But the bad guys can see it.:lol:

Luckily for them, at least so far, most of the time they are fighting agains women.

Hide contents

And Mamoru kissed Usagi. Is he still dating Rei? :p

We can't answer your last question without spoiling too much. Come back one the team is complete and the official identity reveal happened, but then you also already know the answer. :) But click if you area really curious:

Spoiler

No, they stop. Or rather, Rei immediately backs off for story reasons you will come across later.

Regarding the girls, they always get naked in their transformation scenes. Unless your dub is censored in some way. The anime just switches their regular skin colour out so you really notice when they're supposed to be naked (it happens every now and then). I don't know how much you read from the earlier discussions, but (non-sexual) nudity has cultural meaning of purity and cleansing in Japan, so that's why it happens during transformation.

They purify themselves in order to become the guardians of love and justice. That's what's supposed to happen whenever actual nudity is on screen. The fanservice parts of the show are the gratuitous panty shots (and that relates to how underwear was introduced to Japan, but that's a story for another time, yes?).

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

Reveal hidden contents

What gave you that impression? Creepasus is Chibi-Usa's friend and he always helps her. He is a nice pedophile, not the villain. The villain in SuperS is an Elizabeth Bathory type that read too much Peter Pan who really wants Pegasus' horn (who in reality is a 12 year old boy). :p

Spoiler

I was making a joke about your dislike of Super S.

By most measures, a significantly older guy stalking a young girl he is romantically interested in is creepy enough to be villainous. Then again that is also how Tuxedo Kamen and Sailor Moon get together in the manga and/or Crystal.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sailor Moon Crystal continues to be a fine showcase of why show, don't tell is usually a good approach. Also, dear god, the music. Wow. This... no. Really. The first anime had such an amazing soundtrack (for the most part), but this is, wow. Every time something awesome happens on the screen it is underscored by this upbeat fanfare. It's the Sailor Moon Crystal version of a laugh track, to let you know this was supposed to be awesome. Or something. There's also a choral piece for emotional scenes. I guess this will show up every time the star locket version of Moonlight Densetsu would have been used in the first anime.

Spoiler

The girls just met Minako (she's pretending to be Princess Serenity). Minako is off to fight Kunzite on her own, when Sailor Moon and the rest of the gang come flying up the Tokyo Tower (so yes they can fly... still wonder why they bothered flying or even running to Tokyo Tower if Ami can teleport around, but who cares) and proclaim that she no longer needs to fight alone, because they're all friends.

Yeah, except... we have never seen them be friends. In fact, Kunzite interrupted the first attempt of the girls to get to know Minako by inviting them to Makoto's place. Good thing everyone TOLD us they're friends now. Actually, none of the girls were seen doing anything not related to the plot at all, except playing at the Crown like once.

Oh, and Queen Beryl gets some more backstory. It's amazing. She actually wants the Silver Crystal for herself because she fears that Metalia will just destroy everything with it. Such awesome. :)

I saw the third season has a different director, this is going to be interesting. There's a chance this will go a similar way to Harry Potter where replacing Christopher Columbus as director made the movies take some more liberties with the source material to the benefit of the films.

Right, before I forget, Luna isn't just talking to Artemis on the Crown arcade machine like she does in classic. If you tap in the right sequence of buttons on the Sailor V game, a secret underground command base bunker opens up directly underneath, and Minako actually talks to the girls through the Sailor V game... and the Sailor V game is also meant as fight training for the girls.

There's one upside, I guess. I don't dislike Rei as much as I thought I would, but she's still casually sexist. But that's okay, generalizations are only bad when used against women, right?

I could complain some more about the framing, direction and animation but that's pointless. Crystal looks the way it looks, and it doesn't... look good. There's no way around that.

Oh and if you thought Tuxedo Kamen is useless in the first anime, then... he can't even throw magic roses in Crystal. He just shows up. At best so far he distracted an enemy by being around. He even angsts around about having been unable to protect Usagi from Zoisite.

Well maybe Rei is right, and men really are useless.

edit: Hahaha. Tuxedo Kamen catches a falling Sailor Moon (I suppose being shot by Kunzite's Green Doom Laser temporarily removes your ability to fly through the air), she kisses him and tells him that it's okay, he doesn't need to risk his life for her. She flies back up to Kunzite and he's going to blast her with his green energy laser, but lo! Tuxedo Kamen jumps in front of it. Cue episode end. I guess this is the time when Usagi will now use the Silver Crystal to get her memories back and revive Mamo-chan.

I also watched another Steven Universe episode. That one was less fun but had some needed backstory. I like the idea of having the episodes only be 10 minutes, that makes it easier to watch one here and there, e.g. during lunch break.

Still have no idea where the show is going and how it can possibly have a story arc, but yeah, so far it does have the typical "season one" feel to it.

Another edit:

It looks like Crystal doesn't save me from reading the manga. It stops being overly faithful pretty early in its run.

Spoiler

Right around the time where Rei is supposed to murder-death-kill Jadeite and Jadeite survives this for the added dramatic moment when the girls realize that their former lovers are all dead now, something that was a background story idea made canon for Crystal. Blargh.

Edited by majestic
Ramblings about the music, plus I should really finish watching an episode before posting.

I knew they would have a totally different style of music, because the particular style that the original Sailor Moon has is from a long-gone era, but it still hurts to hear. I'm the type of person that loves the original highly Japanese and era-specific music in shows like DBZ and hates the faux "cool" electronic-rock crap used for the American re-score. Also, using obvious musical cues too reactively (for "emotional" moments, for "funny" moments, for "action" moments) also usually drives me crazy in shows. The original show does it some as well, but really only obviously for action sequences (that I can think of anyways). That and the hilarious H&M music cue, which the show itself makes makes a self-aware mockery out of several times. Everything you say about Crystal sounds bad, :(.

Steven Universe: That third episode is an odd-ball one, even in terms of animation (...you may have noticed that the art isn't super consistent yet - they experimented some early on). Though, to be fair, there are a number of "odder" episodes in season 1...

>Still have no idea where the show is going and how it can possibly have a story arc

You and me both...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I knew they would have a totally different style of music, because the particular style that the original Sailor Moon has is from a long-gone era, but it still hurts to hear. I'm the type of person that loves the original highly Japanese and era-specific music in shows like DBZ and hates the faux "cool" electronic-rock crap used for the American re-score. Also, using obvious musical cues too reactively (for "emotional" moments, for "funny" moments, for "action" moments) also usually drives me crazy in shows. The original show does it some as well, but really only obviously for action sequences (that I can think of anyways). That and the hilarious H&M music cue, which the show itself makes makes a self-aware mockery out of several times. Everything you say about Crystal sounds bad, :(.

Steven Universe: That third episode is an odd-ball one, even in terms of animation (...you may have noticed that the art isn't super consistent yet - they experimented some early on). Though, to be fair, there are a number of "odder" episodes in season 1...

>Still have no idea where the show is going and how it can possibly have a story arc

You and me both...

Speaking of electronic rock crap, have you head the opening theme of Crystal? Also don't take my take on the music as gospel, you know, my tastes in music are, let's say, strange, but I found it really distracting and strange - but I know for instance that Mr. Unicorn the reviewer liked the music a lot. On the other hand he's also one of the people who hated giving Rei an actual personality over her manga counterpart, so what does he know? *shrug* 

The most problematic thing about Crystal is untangling it from what came before. By all means the characters in Crystal are absolutely lifeless and underdeveloped, and that they all have the body proportions of alien anthropomorphized giraffes makes it all the more off-putting. The question is, would I watch this if it wasn't Sailor Moon? The answer is no, I guess. But how bad is that actually if you'd know nothing about Sailor Moon?

I honestly don't know. The worst part about Crystal is it takes all the fun that was present in the manga (and that is a whole lot less than there was in the original anime) and removes most of it. What's left is pure drama.

Spoiler

And the creepy stuff between Mamoru and Usagi, who both have absolutely no on screen chemistry. That may sound strange, but there was more emotion and warmth in the 90ies anime when they interacted with each other. At least once it moved away from Usagi not being able to decide if she wants Motoki, Tuxedo Kamen or whatever random hot guy she came across, or Mamoru being terrible to her because he wants to protect her (gee, great going there, asshat).

And speaking of Steven Universe, yeah, the show experimenting is okay with me at that point. I feel like a broken record at this point, but I don't let season one unevenness bother me. If I did, I would most likely have missed several shows that I really ended up loving. I've got to be honest though, I'm not really digging the animation at the moment, but at least I dont hate it, which is more than enough for now (and probably for its entire run).

Like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., or... Stargate SG1 (dear god, the first few episodes of SG1 were terribad). :)

Spoiler

Sailor Venus just pulled the Master Sword Legendary Sacred Sword from the stone at the Temple of Time Crystal Tower of the Moon Castle on the actual moon after they flew there. Or teleported. Depends on how you want to look at it. I'm sure it took a while though because while they launched from Tokyo, by the time they reached space and looked at Earth they saw Africa. 

Queen Serenity shows up as force ghost hologram because pulling the Legendary Sacred Sword from its resting place activated some sort of holocron AI system to throw some more exposition at Usagi, in the form of her committing sepukku (sort of) after Endymion fell in battle. It conveniently fizzled out after all the exposition was over.

Uhm, yeah. Why not.

See guys, that's the sort of thing the 90ies anime just dropped, obviously very much to the detriment of it. Amirite?

Snort.

Should I continue posting this stuff, by the way? :)

edit: I am, however, beginning to see how the classic anime adaptation left manga fans dissatisfied with the storyline adaptation. You can almost imagine the meetings in the writing room where they go through the manga and go like: "Well, no, that's crap, let's just do our own thing."

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, majestic said:

Should I continue posting this stuff, by the way?

If you're into torturing yourself sure.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, majestic said:

That I'm going to do anyway. :)

Then go ahead, maybe it'll make Super S look good in retrospect. Or maybe you'll have nightmares about creatures with propositions like giraffes until you lose your mind.

• Haha 1

Watched two more episodes of Steven Universe. More food. Food. I should not watch that at night. Where would I even get a cheeseburger now?

21 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Then go ahead, maybe it'll make Super S look good in retrospect. Or maybe you'll have nightmares about creatures with propositions like giraffes until you lose your mind.

I already had Sailor Moon themed dreams recently, but they were actually nice. I do have recurring nightmares, but they usually revolve around more mundane things, like showing up to exams unprepared (which I always did, so how's that a nightmare and leaves me feel uneasy?) or living the life of a complete stranger. Those tend to be the most disturbing dreams I have, because I actually wake up thinking I am someone else.

Eh, and making SuperS look good would really take some doing, but Crystal is so far trying really hard.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, majestic said:

Regarding the girls, they always get naked in their transformation scenes. Unless your dub is censored in some way. The anime just switches their regular skin colour out so you really notice when they're supposed to be naked (it happens every now and then). I don't know how much you read from the earlier discussions, but (non-sexual) nudity has cultural meaning of purity and cleansing in Japan, so that's why it happens during transformation.

They purify themselves in order to become the guardians of love and justice. That's what's supposed to happen whenever actual nudity is on screen. The fanservice parts of the show are the gratuitous panty shots (and that relates to how underwear was introduced to Japan, but that's a story for another time, yes?).

This is the version I'm watching but with worse definition (and according to Yotube this is 480!😢), is it the censored one?

I could see they were getting naked, despite the glow or whatever you wanna call it (if it is not the censorship), but I never considered that was actually happening because it could simply be an artistic choice.

Anyway, 5 more episodes, until the one with the painter. Makoto has joined the team.

And somebody finally learned their secret identities, but it only happened by seeing the transformation right in front of them or with the ability to see the future.:lol::facepalm:

sign.jpg

It's the same scene as we all have. I always assumed it was an artistic thing as well, not them literally getting naked.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I love it when stuff like that happens.

30 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

I love it when stuff like that happens.

Here is the scene, if you don't mind several big spoilers up to Attack On Titan Season 4.06. Or you could watch only the beginning (first 30 seconds) and avoid most of it.

Edit: I recommend avoiding these spoilers and watching AoT. It's one of my all time favorite animes, if not the number one. It has an intriguing story and lots of revelations and plot twists.

Spoiler

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

38 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I recommend avoiding these spoilers and watching AoT. It's one of my all time favorite animes, if not the number one. It has an intriguing story and lots of revelations and plot twists.

I watched 30 seconds of it so I think I'm good. I'll check out AoT someday, but everytime I think I'll get into it something comes up. It's close to finished isn't it?

2 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

I watched 30 seconds of it so I think I'm good. I'll check out AoT someday, but everytime I think I'll get into it something comes up. It's close to finished isn't it?

Yes. Last season. But it seems they will need a two-part season.

Up to 30 seconds there is ok. You avoided the story spoilers and most revelations about the titans.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Spoiler

Just watched 3 episodes of S, the one about Umino and Naru, Makoto getting a crush on Haruka, and Ami swimming.

Watching the first made me think about something Majestic said about Crystal having virtually no time for Naru and ditching her for the Sailors (who themselves are sidelined by Tuxedo Stalker and Usagi), because I was really struggling to recall how it was different in this Sailor Moon anime for a while now. I mean all their study sessions are Sailor exclusive and Naru is never really shown hanging out with them. Even with the filler potential of a longer anime it's inevitable supporting non-action characters get pushed to the sidelines, but I'd still like to see Usagi's family or her teacher show up sometimes.

Makoto's episode was good, but the other girls freaking out about her liking a girl was too overdone especially after the show pretty much told you there was a lesbian couple in the prior episode. Ami pointing out that a heart stealing monster was after her should have only needed to be said once. Sailor Uranus is really unlikeable at this point with Sailor Neptune showing remorse but still going along with the plan not being really endearing.  Obviously their mysterious mission will be revealed soon and they'll end up siding with the other Sailors but right now I think they're pretty boring, it's like we're being teased with something good but we haven't been given nearly enough to be interested.

Ami's was the best of the lot. Mamoru being helpful (outside of throwing a rose before telling Sailor Moon to spin with their love rod) and nice was actually very nice to see. Similarly, Ami having problems with just being the study queen and wanting more mirrors my own thoughts on her during R and was really nice to see. Hopefully it results in Ami doing more than telling everyone to study or saying just how much she loves studying, because she deserves better writing. Also Artemis and Luna showed up to do something besides tell Usagi to study which was nice.

The major problem with all three episodes is how bad the Daimon crew and the rogue Sailor duo are at finding those precious talismans. You'd think they had a more precise way than just attacking everyone they think has a pure heart and hoping for the best. And where are the impure hearts? Surely someone in this city has to be a prick?

Oh, and the rogue Sailor duo are absolutely right when they call the Sailors incompetent. Sailor Moon's selling point isn't the battles, but given that it happens almost every episode I'd kind of like to see them get better at it in ways other than learning new special attacks that take 30 seconds to launch. Usagi needing someone to tell her when to do whatever attack she is currently using after bailing her out got old in s1.

Spoiler

I miss Naru and Ms. Haruna as well. However, I think Majestic's point was more that those side-characters are unnecessarily dropped immediately by Crystal, whereas at least they had significant screen-time in season 1 (particularly Naru), and them being pushed to the sidelines is more understandable later into the show.

I liked both Haruna and Michiru, but not in regards to their mission - like Mamoru in season 2, their 'conflict' with the main characters feels forced. I tried to ignore that as best as I could, and I think I was mostly successful. This show has kind of been training me to do that, since it likes dumb forced conflicts between characters, :p. I don't think Neptune and Uranus have any method actually getting the talismans themselves, so they're kind of at the mercy of the villains...which only makes it more problematic for them, as they passively wait around like vampires just waiting to swoop in at an opportune moment. Also, aren't the villains specifically trying to target only pure-hearted individuals? So at least they're half-decent at that!

I don't understand why Sailor Moon is always waiting for someone else to tell her to dust them either. I think you said, when you were watching season 1, that the villains were completely neurotic - I'd say, at least watching the show modern day (some of these things would no doubt just be kind of the standard for shows from its era, which I kind of have baked into my standards for this show as well), that it seems like a lot of the show as a whole is a bit neurotic. Like it has to follow a bunch of different formulas, both big ones and small, that it just *can't* deviate from, even when it makes no sense to keep doing it. Sailor Moon hasn't needed someone to keep telling her when to attack...that really should've been dropped mid-season 1, end of season 1 at the latest...but because someone early on decided that's what she should do, the show decided to just obsessively compulsively keep doing it forevermore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Ok, then I guess the censored version is the one they jump the part you can see the body contour (and the breast). I saw that too on Youtube, but was not sure.

There are some mild differences in many of the versions. The original english dub for instance reduced the breast contours during the transformations (and made the bathwater intransparent in various scenes).  The heaviest editing happend in South Korea where an entire sub-plot was dropped from the fourth season. Although, to be fair, nothing of value was lost. That's the low point of Sailor Moon.

Attack on Titan is definitely on my to-watch list, but I'm getting more and more lazy when it comes to spending actual effort to watch something. Netflix had two seasons of Attack on Titan and I figured I'll just wait for the whole thing to drop, and now it's gone altogether. Stupid licencing, no wonder the word contains lice. Parasites, all of them. :p

2 hours ago, KaineParker said:
Spoiler

Just watched 3 episodes of S, the one about Umino and Naru, Makoto getting a crush on Haruka, and Ami swimming.

Watching the first made me think about something Majestic said about Crystal having virtually no time for Naru and ditching her for the Sailors (who themselves are sidelined by Tuxedo Stalker and Usagi), because I was really struggling to recall how it was different in this Sailor Moon anime for a while now. I mean all their study sessions are Sailor exclusive and Naru is never really shown hanging out with them. Even with the filler potential of a longer anime it's inevitable supporting non-action characters get pushed to the sidelines, but I'd still like to see Usagi's family or her teacher show up sometimes.

Makoto's episode was good, but the other girls freaking out about her liking a girl was too overdone especially after the show pretty much told you there was a lesbian couple in the prior episode. Ami pointing out that a heart stealing monster was after her should have only needed to be said once. Sailor Uranus is really unlikeable at this point with Sailor Neptune showing remorse but still going along with the plan not being really endearing.  Obviously their mysterious mission will be revealed soon and they'll end up siding with the other Sailors but right now I think they're pretty boring, it's like we're being teased with something good but we haven't been given nearly enough to be interested.

Ami's was the best of the lot. Mamoru being helpful (outside of throwing a rose before telling Sailor Moon to spin with their love rod) and nice was actually very nice to see. Similarly, Ami having problems with just being the study queen and wanting more mirrors my own thoughts on her during R and was really nice to see. Hopefully it results in Ami doing more than telling everyone to study or saying just how much she loves studying, because she deserves better writing. Also Artemis and Luna showed up to do something besides tell Usagi to study which was nice.

The major problem with all three episodes is how bad the Daimon crew and the rogue Sailor duo are at finding those precious talismans. You'd think they had a more precise way than just attacking everyone they think has a pure heart and hoping for the best. And where are the impure hearts? Surely someone in this city has to be a prick?

Oh, and the rogue Sailor duo are absolutely right when they call the Sailors incompetent. Sailor Moon's selling point isn't the battles, but given that it happens almost every episode I'd kind of like to see them get better at it in ways other than learning new special attacks that take 30 seconds to launch. Usagi needing someone to tell her when to do whatever attack she is currently using after bailing her out got old in s1.

Time to get the one thing that can stay spoiler free out of the way: The formula is here to stay, except for storyline episodes or some exceptions that don't follow the usual format. Outside of a very few exceptions (one coming up in S03E15) it will also always take Sailor Moon to defeat the Monster of the Week, and in 99% of all cases she will be told "Now, Sailor Moon!" because... honestly, I don't know why.

The only explanation I have is because it was supposed to be a show for kids, and repetition helps them retain interest in something. There's a reason why kids want to watch Frozen every day, right? And the reason why the Teletubbies are what they are. But why this was kept even during S and Sailor Stars is another issue entirely. SuperS was clearly an attempt to go back to being mainly a show for little girls.

Spoiler

With making Chibi-Usa the new main character, give her friends at school that show up way too often in the episodes and make Creepasus explain adult concepts to her in a child-like fashion.

Now to the other things... sort of. I'm not going to re-type my entire post about that Mako or Ami episode, anyway.

Spoiler

Naru gets more to do in Crystal than in the manga, but it is a far cry from what she gets to do in the 90ies anime. That she was phased out makes sense, you can only have so many characters in 20 minutes of runtime, and the show struggled with giving them the time of day even before adding even more Senshi. I always thought of that dialogue between Usagi and Naru in R as this "I know you're Sailor Moon, it's okay when the writers no longer have anything useful for me to do." sort of explanation why she's no longer really in the show, except for a cameo in S and SuperS.

Makoto showing her infatuation with Haruka, that was supposed to be hero worship more than attraction. Usagi and Minako freaking out about it was there to show that they misunderstood, but it was a bit strange, especially given the fact that they girl crushed hard on Haruka. :p

There is a payoff for the entire situation with Uranus and Neptune. It will take a while but they do strike up something of a friendship with the girls. In their civilian life, at least.

Spoiler

I would say in regards to specifically Naru, this is something the show...indirectly hints at as well in addition to Naru asking Usagi to confide in her but failing (if I'm remembering this moment correctly), in the form of the girls (and I'm particularly thinking of Minako in her special episode here) struggling to balance their 'normal' lives and their Sailor Guardian lives. It's difficult to do both even while only giving the bare necessities to the former, and trying to additionally retain normal relationships with others outside your team when you're constantly required by them and doing almost everything with them is all but impossible. I still wish they'd made more time in exchange for less fighting stuff, of course - who doesn't? - but at least there's a sort of realistic sense to it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
Spoiler

I liked both Haruna and Michiru, but not in regards to their mission - like Mamoru in season 2, their 'conflict' with the main characters feels forced.

Spoilers ahead for IC and KP anyway, click at your own discretion:

Spoiler

I think that is because it is forced, but unlike the conflict in Sailor Stars it is forced on purpose, by them. I might be overinterpreting things here, but Haruka and Michiru stay out of the way of the girls because they don't believe they can help and because they're way too close to failing at being utilitarian in the first place, as was demonstrated by how the first part of S' storyline ended.

It's the reason the show shows Haruka in particular willing/forcing herself to not care about the victims, especially once it hits Usagi whom she really likes (everyone likes Usagi, it's her super power after all).

There's also another reason that comes up later.

Minor spoiler:

Spoiler

You're already aware that Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were supposed to keep the Earth safe from extraterrestrial threats. The Death Busters represent failure on their part, and they do feel obligated to fix their mistake without involving the very people they failed to protect. But this is mostly inferred, not stated (although the manga states that directly, like so many things).

• Like 1

Spoiler

Actually, I thought that *was* stated...I don't remember exactly when, but I swear the three of them explicitly mentioned that they had failed their duties and let evil take root on Earth when they were supposed to have guarded it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Hide contents

Actually, I thought that *was* stated...I don't remember exactly when, but I swear the three of them explicitly mentioned that they had failed their duties and let evil take root on Earth when they were supposed to have guarded it.

Spoiler

Oh, yeah, that weird exposition talk with Endymion that kind of comes out of the blue, you're right. :)

Edited by majestic

Episode 29 of S:

Spoiler

...The Professor shops with coupons? That seems...simultaneously both very un-Professor AND very Professor-like. Of course the one time Mimete gets serious about her job, she accidentally sets off a reality-destroying nuclear bomb directly in the house. Figures.

What the hell is going on in this episode? lmao. The Professor gets a front-row seat to their shenanigans while they're completely unaware...but also, he's completely powerless to do anything as well. What an odd situation.

Oh hey, there's a minion in this episode, I almost thought there wouldn't be given the odd situation.

"Guess my mom was wrong when she said video games were useless!" Minako is the best. And then she and Usagi immediately crash and die like one second into the game. Whoops.

Well, that was a heck of an episode.

• Like 1