Anime - A Rollercoaster of Emotion

Amentep

Previous thread:

Last few posts:

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Uh, that wasn't in the script, Minako...

Reveal hidden contents

holy **** lmao I'm dead

Reveal hidden contents

"Hold on..............................something's not quite right." understatement of the year, lady

(e): Also, I'm glad they actually had a great minion for this episode, too.

(e): So much for my Usagi theory - that or Michiru and Haruka are total dunderheads. My next best guess is now The Professor himself, because, uh, he ironically has a really pure heart for trying to get pure hearts idk lmao there's no way that's right

(e): Goodness, that was a brutal ending. What a fantastic three episode run that was.

(E): WHOOPS I watched the next episode preview and guess who's baaack? ...Okay, except my Usagi-Mamoru-Chibiusa theory literally just collapsed the previous episode, so there goes that...I wasn't expecting her back so soon!

(e): Finally, I'd like to congratulate Usagi shockingly being the first one to finally recognize someone in their alter-ego disguise...except that random boy from literally the previous episode figured out who Sailor Venus was, even though it presumably will never come up again. Drats, Usagi - almost had it!

54 minutes ago, majestic said:

Wait, did you see only the first part then? Because...

Reveal hidden contents

You're going to LOVE what Minako does in the next one.

35 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

holy **** lmao I'm dead

Reveal hidden contents

"Hold on..............................something's not quite right." understatement of the year, lady

(e): Also, I'm glad they actually had a great minion for this episode, too.

(e): So much for my Usagi theory - that or Michiru and Haruka are total dunderheads. My next best guess is now The Professor himself, because, uh, he ironically has a really pure heart for trying to get pure hearts idk lmao there's no way that's right

(e): Goodness, that was a brutal ending. What a fantastic three episode run that was.

(E): WHOOPS I watched the next episode preview and guess who's baaack? ...Okay, except my Usagi-Mamoru-Chibiusa theory literally just collapsed the previous episode, so there goes that...I wasn't expecting her back so soon!

(e): Finally, I'd like to congratulate Usagi shockingly being the first one to finally recognize someone in their alter-ego disguise...except that random boy from literally the previous episode figured out who Sailor Venus was, even though it presumably will never come up again. Drats, Usagi - almost had it!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@BartimaeusYay, new thread.

Spoiler

Nothing comes of Usagi having almost an epiphany in this episode either. I wonder if that's some adaptational issue, but until the big reveal episode (which is another Minako masterpiece!) she doesn't put two and two together and realizes that Haruka and Michiru are not just similar to Uranus and Neptune, but the same. It's easy enough to explain away with Usagi being Usagi and going "nah, can't be" and leave it at that though. Just saying that in case the English dub doesn't make it clear and you're not going "huh, wtf?" next episode.

And yes, Chibi-Usa is back. And this time she's actually used in a much better manner. Sure she shows up in almost* every episode, but she's not the overused focus piece of R or SuperS. 

Oh, and right, that monster was awesome. I was almost literally lying on the floor laughing when it whipped out that warranty card after being damaged.

Spoiler

There's one Usagi just leaves her waiting at the door and sneaks off. Yeah, mom of the year material. :p

I find myself being envious. I want to watch Sailor Moon S for the first time too. At least I only have 4 episodes of SuperS left.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So I guess the black moon sisters are getting purified now. Huh.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

At that pace you'll finish the entire show before me, and I had almost a three season headstart. :p

Well you've already finished the show at least once so I don't think I'll be able to finish first. I've been going really fast lately and want to slow down, but I'm struggling to find something else to watch or play that fits my schedule or mood. Maybe Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan will be a break from it, or I'll force myself to take a break after I finish R.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

46 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Well you've already finished the show at least once so I don't think I'll be able to finish first. I've been going really fast lately and want to slow down, but I'm struggling to find something else to watch or play that fits my schedule or mood. Maybe Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan will be a break from it, or I'll force myself to take a break after I finish R.

Semantics schmemantics, but point conceded. ;)

Spoiler

SuperS just tried to redeem this creepy Helios storyline by showing that Helios himself is just a boy, and while he's a bit taller than Chibi-Usa, he really is just an innocent young... eh, Lord of Elysion, Priest of something or other, and protector of this season's MacGuffin. He's still a good deal older than her though. Techhnically Chibi-Usa is 903 or so years old during this season, but Helios existed in his form at least since the Silver Millennium, which was during prehistoric times. So he's still at last twice as old as he is. But... physically he's like 12, and Chibi-Usa is 10? Pretty sure she was supposed to be nine during R, so 10 seems all right an assumption.

Only to ruin it immediately by having Queen Nehelenia, an ageless Evil Witch of the Darkness(tm) totally want a piece of him. And not just the golden one on his head.

Man, why?

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

So they killed off the red haired dude and replaced him with a lady whose laugh is very annoying. They had another memorable monster though, turning people into sweets was not expected.

I wasn't too fond of...Esmeraude(?) either. I swear they pronounce it "Esmeralde" in the English dub. The good news with this show is that if one villain isn't very good, you're never that far off until you get to the next one, right?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I wasn't too fond of...Esmeraude(?) either. I swear they pronounce it "Esmeralde" in the English dub. The good news with this show is that if one villain isn't very good, you're never that far off until you get to the next one, right?

If we discount Queen Beryl yeah.

42 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

If we discount Queen Beryl yeah.

That's true - the "villains-behind-the-villains" usually last longer, considering they're not getting murdered either by the Pretty Guardians or by their master.

@majestic

Spoiler

I love that Chibi-Usa basically considers Usagi to be a completely distinct person from her mother. The utmost devotion for the latter, the utmost disrespect for the former. Similarly, Usagi should also know better, but basically treats her like she's the worst annoying little sister ever. Also, it was a great idea to have Chibi-Usa come in and act like she was going to save the day...have her fall completely flat on her face, and then do just barely enough.

Also, shout-out to Minako for rigging the carnival game against those boys and ruining their day - I would've done the same!

Super secret spoiler don't look KaineParker:

Spoiler

15.mkv_snapshot_04.03.021.png

also this episode had the worst sequence in all of animated history good lord lmao

How the hell do Michiru and Haruka not recognize Chibi-Usa? My goodness. That minion...one of the best "battles" in Sailor Moon history for sure.

The ending of this episode...this show has completely become a meme.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Spoiler

Yeah, never call Minako an old lady.

I laughed so hard the first time Chibi-Usa showed up, and I groaned and said "Oh man, really, the 9-year-old is now going to save the day?" and then she waves her toy wand around, yells PINK SUGAR HEART ATTACK (well, the German dub had her say, roughly translated, "Sugar Hearts, for justice, fly and vanquish", which made what happened next all the more hilarious) and nothing happens, and when it does it's... ridiculously ineffective.

Spoiler

I think there's even a monster fight coming where everyone involved does the sensible thing and just ignores her completely.

Spoiler

Sadly it's played much more straight in SuperS where she's necssary for Sailor Moon's attack animation. Ugh.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:
Spoiler

also this episode had the worst sequence in all of animated history good lord lmao

How the hell do Michiru and Haruka not recognize Chibi-Usa? My goodness. That minion...one of the best "battles" in Sailor Moon history for sure.

The ending of this episode...this show has completely become a meme.

Spoiler

That was such great back to back fun. I mean, the previous episode was already hilarious as hell already with Rei turning around looking for the other four girls who hid behind the waitress, and then that happens.

To be honest I rather like how obvious the show plays the Clark Kent disguise. They sometimes stretch suspension of disbelief beyond any reasonable point (just how many nine year olds with pink hair can show up before anyone sees the obvious?) but they always just play it straight. When the reveal episode happens everyone is shocked to find out who each other is. Even the professor's assistant at the time.

How do you like that Daimon oven sequence? The Professor's lab looks like a freaking steampunk science nightmare from a cheap 50ies sci-fi movie at this point. :p

And Eudial is really great as a minor villain. She's competent and has a no-nonsense attitude (up to a point), plus that ghost busters car surfacing wherever the writers just felt like made for some hilarity. Her attire is a bit weird, but that's coming straight from the manga.

edit:

And Usagi not being able to write kanji even a thousand years in the future? Guess you have something better to do when you're queen of the world, but anyway, that was a riot.

Edited by majestic

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Super secret spoiler don't look KaineParker:

OH MY GOD!

• Gasp! 1

I told you not to look! Gah, Sailor Moon has been cancelled from the universe until further notice!

@majestic

Spoiler

Yeah, that was a really fantastic run of episodes...followed up by E17, which was almost as bizarre and overwrought as E16 of season 2. Not quite as bad, but I get the feeling that the writers of this show didn't quite know how to make more serious material they're trying to play completely straight feel...not quite so ridiculously hammy. They've had much better luck writing about more serious stuff when they still keep at least little bits of humor in to keep things on track.

Kaolinite at least had the good sense to recognize Usagi's broach. It's the best bit of detective skills any villain has displayed thus far.

I think this new lady, Eudial, is a lot of fun with her heart-puncturing ray gun just doing drive-by shootings, but what the heck is up with throwing off her lab coat? She seems to do it every single time for no reason! Also, The Professor knows how to pick 'em...and also, he seems increasingly unhinged what with running on treadmills and wanting to get into sports...this guy is seriously like an alternative universe evil genius Umino, :p.

I actually made a gif earlier of Usagi going completely HAM about everything, but I decided not to post it because I didn't want to ruin it for KaineParker who keeps reading our spoilers, :p. I'm still trying to discern if Usagi actually figured out who Michiru and Haruka actually are (it sure *seemed* like she did a few episodes ago), but it hasn't really come up yet, so TBD.

Neptune has probably the coolest attack - it's also surprisingly quick.

Edited by Bartimaeus

They've seemingly put a lot of effort into having...more unique minions this season. Man, season 3 is so good. I'm probably gonna have to take a break and watch something else after it ends so season 4 doesn't feel like complete garbage in comparison - it'll at least give it more of a chance than if I try to watch it immediately after.

(e): Gosh dang it, and Minako stars the next episode according to the preview, and it looks amazing, too. I already watched way too many episodes today...

Spoiler

Minako ranting and raving in the preview: I turned on the Japanese dub for a moment to compare what they sound like, and oh boy, they're so completely different, this would basically be watching an entirely different show. The new English dub VAs are so good and are completely their characters for me, I don't think I could really ever give them up.

(e): Another thing I've been wondering with S4 is if the new English dub will try to...like smooth a few things over, writing-wise, what they can without fundamentally changing anything. I turn on subtitles along with keeping the English dub on every once in a while, and while they do essentially stay true to the subtitles, the writers of the English dub do put in little odd twists and turns that are, I think, often better than simply what the subtitles say.

Usagi in this episode...was really something else. I didn't expect to ever see *that* - I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading, but it made for quite possibly the longest episode I've seen because I had to keep pausing as I was dying of second hand embarrassment as well as laughing.

Edited by Bartimaeus

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I didn't want to ruin it for KaineParker who keeps reading our spoilers,

Don't worry, I don't really mind spoilers and usually forget anyways.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I turned on the Japanese dub for a moment to compare what they sound like, and oh boy, they're so completely different, this would basically be watching an entirely different show. The new English dub VAs are so good and are completely their characters for me, I don't think I could give them up.

I usually watch subs only (not just anime) because dubs are frequently awful. Out of curiosity I checked out the new dub and it's OK, much better than the original dub which is awful.

• Like 1

Hey, the original English is what convinced me, and by extension, you and Majestic, to re/watch this show!

And then you have some lovely Oblivion dialogue here..:

Edited by Bartimaeus

That scene with Chibi-Usa was so funny it managed to salvage the dub.

The scene where Chibi-Usa sneaks into Usagi's room and wets the bed is absolutely hilarious

• Like 1

I unironically love that channel with all those clips. The original dub is terrible, but it has some gold bits.

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

(e): Gosh dang it, and Minako stars the next episode according to the preview, and it looks amazing, too. I already watched way too many episodes today...

Man... the envy is real. Episodes 20, 21 and 22 are kind of a three parter. 20 is kind of contained in terms of an "ending", but they're related.

21 is also probably the best serious mode episode in the entire run of the show (and still occasionally fun - like once or twice).

Spoiler

Oh, and since you saw 16 already, did you figure out the talismans yet? :)

edit: And yeah, I kind of agree, 17 was a good idea from a thematic point and necessary to understand where the two are coming from, but it wasn't all that memorable or interesting. Absolutely fantastic artwork though.

265.jpg

Edited by majestic

"A heart pattern is perfect for one like you who has no boyfriend"

Droids are getting better lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ended up not watching it because MODERATION. That, and because a friend wanted to watch a couple of episodes of stupid Speed Racer instead. Spoiler warning: Speed Racer is sadly not as good as Sailor Moon. Shocking!

@majestic

Spoiler

I saw them, but all I got from them was that they looked like artifacts that Usagi's family would have...

Spoiler

A mirror with what looks like Queen Serenity engraved on it for Usagi, a dagger that looks positively Moonlight Knight-ish, and a sacred heart that could fit just about anyone including Chibi-Usa.

...But Usagi already had her Pure Heart Crystal ripped out and it didn't look like any of those, so I guess I'm kind of stumped and can't figure out a connection to anybody else.

Plot-wise, I still think Michiru and Haruka make the most sense for various reasons, but none of those really looked like something either of them would own. It's possible I'm overlooking something, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Speed Racer is sadly not as good as Sailor Moon. Shocking!

Oh No!

I mean, it was only the first two episodes. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge - it could eventually get better than Sailor Moon. You know, at some point during its exactly one season of airing.

Edited by Bartimaeus