The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

On 6/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, InsaneCommander said:

(  Foundation trailer  )

September 24.

Trailer doesn't look too shabby and I like Pace.  But ... I know Foundation is considered more sci-fi iconic (never did read all that series, I found it kinda boring), but gosh darnit, when are they going to make something out of the Robot novels? Yes there was that old BBC thing but I didn't see it and it doesn't exist anymore. 

I would really like to see Elijah Baley, R. Daneel Olivaw and R. Giskard Reventlov brought to modern cinema "life" too.  Daneel is the only reason I tried to read Foundation, eventually skipping over to just skim the later books that he was in.

C'mon Hollywood (or someone....), gimmie Elijah and Daneel at least, please!  😧

the-caves-of-steel.jpg

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I would definitely love for someone to make a The Caves of Steel movie and, if successful, follow it up with The Naked Sun and The Robots of Dawn. I would be all for a Lije Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw trilogy...

Who am I kidding, if the first 2 movies were succesful, they would 100% split the 3rd book into at least 2 parts. :p

Fun fact: The Lije Bailey and R. Daneel Olivaw trilogy is what originally got me into Asimov. The Foundation series wound up being my favorite book series from any author ever. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

More TNG

Rascals - a fun episode, but would tge Ferengi really have left the kids on the ship rather than beaming them down planet?

A Fistful of Datas - fun episode, but when there are computer malfunctions that specifically targets the entertainment systems why does no one ever think 'was someone using the holideck?'. It'd be like the power going out in a building today and no one checking elevators or bathrooms.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sweet Tooth. I have no idea what's going on but I think I like it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 7/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, Amentep said:

'was someone using the holideck?'

Given the amount of times the holideck (I'm totally keeping this typo, it's awesome) made a mess of the ship you'd think they'd have turned the bloody thing off by the time A Fistful of Datas happens, or at least totally isolated it from the rest of the Enterprise computer and energy systems.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:45 AM, Amentep said:

A Fistful of Datas - fun episode, but when there are computer malfunctions that specifically targets the entertainment systems why does no one ever think 'was someone using the holideck?'. It'd be like the power going out in a building today and no one checking elevators or bathrooms.

Is that the one where he's like...a Wild West bandit king that starts taking over everybody's bodies while Worf and...aw heck, who was it? Crusher? Or was it the empath lady I dislike whose name I never remember? Anyways, while Worf and one of those two try to sort it out? That is a funner episode...but boy, the number of "let's just conjure up a wacky scenario via the holodeck" episodes there are is way too many.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Is that the one where he's like...a Wild West bandit king that starts taking over everybody's bodies while Worf and...aw heck, who was it? Crusher? Or was it the empath lady I dislike whose name I never remember? Anyways, while Worf and one of those two try to sort it out? That is a funner episode...but boy, the number of "let's just conjure up a wacky scenario via the holodeck" episodes there are is way too many.

Yeah, it's Worf, his son, Data and Deanna, not Beverly in a Wild West setting, and the computer is turning everyone into Datas. Marina Sirtis very noticably enjoyed playing the part.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

No Sudden Move - Stylish 50's crime caper with a fantastic cast. This movie had a lot of moving parts, but it flowed very well together. I enjoyed the heck out of it. This was the best Benicio Del Toro role in awhile, and Don Cheadle was great. 

Tomorrow War - Stupid. I mean, I guess it had good effects. The guy from Parks and Rec and the girl from Chick were not terrible, but they also weren't not not terrible. JK Simmons was the bright spot. I should add that the premise is this former spec. forces guy is unhappy as a science teacher and is struggling to find his purpose, and the whole plot kind of revolves around how education is not a good enough job. Thanks, Hollywood.

Edited by Hurlsnot

9 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

JK Simmons was the bright spot.

You can write that about almost anything JK Simmons is in.;)

Also, I'm going to use this as an excuse to post a jacked JK Simmons picture:

57582c589105841d008c7844?width=900&forma

Edited by Keyrock
  • Gasp! 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Tomorrow War - well, it's the type of movie that wants you to just roll with stuff and explain nothing. Cut 20 minutes in length and take itself a bit less seriously - vs. only having the single "comic relief guy" who's only in it here and there - and it might've been a tad better. It did have some moments and first third/setup wasn't the worst. I normally like Pratt, but his character was horrendously stupid, especially one scene in the middle where his emotions get the better him vs. maybe saving the whole species, but ok. And ofc, time travel. And that last act was so predictable.

Watched three episodes of Ragnarok on Netflix. It's maybe slightly too "dreary" but I kind of like it - better than Marvel anyway - but I wish they could've been college students at least. Why are all these shows about teens/ppl still in school - so they can have broody teen social problems I guess. I hear the 2nd season is a lot less of the teen issues and the seasons are short, so maybe that aspect improves.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

You guys love rubbing it in that you can get Disney Channel in the US, nice brother. We dont that channel available yet in SA 

White, male privlidege is a beautiful thing when you see its architecture and resources...and of course when you on the receiving end :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Raithe said:
vid

season one weren't exact our jam. as such it were hardly surprising our only thought after seeing the linked trailer were, "henry cavill doing a ricola commercial seems like a no-brainer."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Raithe said:

That looks excellent, I cant wait. I am interested in seeing who the other aspiring Witchers are 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just hope they won't be rushing through all the small storylines again. For me, the biggest issue with s1 is that everything goes by so fast. There is not a moment of breathing in it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

50 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I just hope they won't be rushing through all the small storylines again. For me, the biggest issue with s1 is that everything goes by so fast. There is not a moment of breathing in it.

I hear you, I suppose its hard to incorporate all the themes of the Witcher world into a TV series and to do justice to them from a time and focus  perspective 

John Milton 

Leverage Redemption.

Nice to see the old band (as it were) back together. Noah Wyle making an interesting addition.

It's kind of amusing to see that flip actually, a year and loose change ago, it was Noah leading the show in The Librarians with Christian Kane as the mentee, now its Kane as the old regular with Noah as the new guy.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Considering that the short stories, ie. the first books are the best, by far, in the series I don't hold much hope if they follow the source material closely.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

That anyways. Truth told, I never liked the whole Ciri, etc. stuff. In fact, I had to force myself through most of it, because it felt boring to me.

The short stories on the other hand, I've reread them all multiple times.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished season one of Ragnarok.  Ends up being pretty good by that point, enough that I'll start the second season.  :)

• Thanks 1