The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

I dunno if someone already posted the trailer for (what is now) Amazon Prime's film "The Tomorrow War", but one can Youtube it if you want to see it - it looks kind of generic, but it could be all right.  I may try to watch it with hubby.

Also, I've decided JK Simmons simply needs to be in almost every movie, even if it's a tiny role.  And a VA role in every video game.  Make it so.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Wish Dragon" via netflix - well, the obvious comparison is Aladdin.  But they aren't really trying to copy it, if that makes sense. No songs, for one thing.  Different cultural setting.  Similar story beats as most similar type films (since even before Disney's Aladdin...).  Seems great for both kids and parents kind of thing.

I really liked it.  No it's not "great" but it's good, entertaining, and sometimes very funny/charming.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Added it to me list. The trailer looked interesting and I'm kinda in the mood to watch something like that currently.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've been watching Manifest on Netflix, which is apparently a CBS show ... that was just cancelled after 3 seasons (the creators intended a 6 season arc), meaning people are trying to get Netflix to maybe keep it going...

Anyhoo, I'd guess it's a tiny bit like Lost, in terms of genre, except it's not on an island. The constant unanswered mysteries surrounding a group of people on a plane that disappeared, then magically shows up again 5 years later, plane/passgeners all. How they try to reintegrate into their lives that to them was just yesterday, and ofc they all now seem connected in some mysterious/supernatural way.

I was never into/watched Lost, but maybe without commercial breaks, for some reason I sorta like Manifest.  I keep watching.  There was a French show re: dead people coming back to life (that some US shows were likely inspired by I think) that was really good and it sort of reminds me of that in a way, too.  Except with more US-styled drama-cheese toppings.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:08 AM, LadyCrimson said:

"Wish Dragon" via netflix - well, the obvious comparison is Aladdin.  But they aren't really trying to copy it, if that makes sense. No songs, for one thing.  Different cultural setting.  Similar story beats as most similar type films (since even before Disney's Aladdin...).  Seems great for both kids and parents kind of thing.

I really liked it.  No it's not "great" but it's good, entertaining, and sometimes very funny/charming.

Watched it yesterday. Was a good movie. Basically chinese Aladeen. Though I'd probably not watch it again.

Felt a bit empty in the end when the whole story was about their old friendship but then the girl is suddenly out of the picture and nobody cares anymore?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The french show was probably Les Revenants (which was remade in the US as 'The Returned').

Yes, that sounds about right.  I remember trying to watch the US version ... didn't like it nearly as much, didn't finish it.  There were some other series with similar concepts after those as well, I'm pretty sure.  It was kind of a small trend at some point.

Aside from The Returned/Les Revenants, the other show, also in 2015, was Resurrection which was based on a novel called...The Returned.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finished season 2 of that Manifest series. I think it finished a lot stronger than it started, and overall I liked most episodes.  Netflix doesn't have season 3 yet, and I've heard their talks to pick the series up tanked, so it seems it will not have a series ending.  Thus I think I will skip watching season 3 (which I hear is a major major cliffhanger sort) and pretend Ssn2 is the end.  Ssn2 had no final answers either, ofc, but it had more of a closure feeling than I suspect ssn3 would.

I started watching the new seasons  of Charmed and I am really enjoying it, I wasnt sure I would enjoy it but its fun and I find the characters endearing and likeable on different levels 🧙‍♀️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Started watching this last night. The first episode was very good. It followed a family with a girl with epilepsy as they are matched to a service dog that can help her. It was definitely worth the time.

image.thumb.jpeg.222593763c4f756c5de61cd0a0b8093b.jpeg

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

42 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Started watching this last night. The first episode was very good. It followed a family with a girl with epilepsy as they are matched to a service dog that can help her. It was definitely worth the time.

GD have you ever watched a movie called " Old Yeller " 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Yeller_(film)

You must watch it if you havent. Its your quintessential " man and dog "  movie and a classic 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I think somebody once talked about and recommended this show in this thread here before, but I don't remember whom it was.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

GD have you ever watched a movie called " Old Yeller " 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Yeller_(film)

You must watch it if you havent. Its your quintessential " man and dog "  movie and a classic 

Read the book and seen the movie when I was a kid. There are movies like the passion of the Christ, and Schindler‘s list, that are really excellent movies to watch but you don’t want to put yourself through that trauma to watch it twice. Old yeller definitely falls in that category!

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just now, Guard Dog said:

Read the book and seen the movie when I was a kid. There are movies like the passion of the Christ, and Schindler‘s list, that are really excellent movies to watch but you don’t want to put yourself through that trauma to watch it twice. Old yeller definitely falls in that category!

Very true, I didnt want to ruin the story if you hadnt seen this movie but its a real tear-jerker 

John Milton 

The Ice Road on Netflix

...I love you Liam Neeson, and I've at least mostly enjoyed a lot of your later-life movies (Cold Pursuit was decent, for example).  This one is pretty bad tho. Liam still gives that Liam stoic performance, but urgh. It's Ice Road Truckers + mining diaster politics, with some action thrown in.

...but it *was* one of those Netflix films where the visual quality was great.  Still looked pretty sharp/nice from only 3 feet away!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

The Ice Road on Netflix

...I love you Liam Neeson, and I've at least mostly enjoyed a lot of your later-life movies (Cold Pursuit was decent, for example).  This one is pretty bad tho. Liam still gives that Liam stoic performance, but urgh. It's Ice Road Truckers + mining diaster politics, with some action thrown in.

...but it *was* one of those Netflix films where the visual quality was great.  Still looked pretty sharp/nice from only 3 feet away!

Thanks for the feedback, I normally love Liam Neeson movies. Rob Roy and Taken represent  some of his greatest performances for me 

So I will wait before watching this one on Netflix  

John Milton