The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

I've reached the point where when it comes to streaming media, I think I watch more YouTube than anything else.

Anyone have any frequent posting YT film/TV related faves, reviewers or analyzers? I know of Red Letter already ofc.  Or channels that like to analyze companies and their history ( Company Man is an example of that ) or general misc. analyzers of some kind (history, science, tech, economics). Ones that aren't "political" or agenda driven or Facebook/style/Just Chatting like fluff.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 hours ago, Amentep said:

That brings back memories and what a brilliant idea for  renewing a classic, I was addicted to MOTU. I collected all the figurines and had the castle and we use to spend hundreds of hours playing with the actions figures, that and the Thundercats were my favorite

I am definitely going to be watching this for nostalgic reasons 📺

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Given the month, I think we can all guess what the revelation is in He-Man. :brows: 🏳️‍🌈

Oh my hat, can you imagine the " outrage " if that happened. The Dr Seuss response would pale in comparison compared to a gay He-Man :lol:

I use to have a crush on Evil-Lyn, she was so hot to my young person 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

He-man was 40 years ago? I remember watching it as a kid and I'm not 40. Reruns?

You must  have watched reruns? I was also surprised by that fact its 40 years old so I did some research and the action figures were released in 1981 and the TV series in 1983. And their were extensive reruns and some updates of the TV series 

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

Ok, I finally got around to watching Invincible. Never heard of/read the comic etc.

The first episode went like this:
"Kinda bored ... haha kinda funny ... kinda bored ... kinda funny ... sigh/bored ... HOLY COW WTF?!"

Overall the whole series:  75% slightly bored (especially a couple subplots), 25% of holy cow.  For my burnt-out tv and superhero mentality these days ... not too bad, show, not too bad.  At least it's mostly memorable.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

"Kinda bored ... haha kinda funny ... kinda bored ... kinda funny ... sigh/bored ... HOLY COW WTF?!"

That was 100% my reaction to the first episode too. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

58 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Ok, I finally got around to watching Invincible. Never heard of/read the comic etc.

The first episode went like this:

Overall the whole series:  75% slightly bored (especially a couple subplots), 25% of holy cow.  For my burnt-out tv and superhero mentality these days ... not too bad, show, not too bad.  At least it's mostly memorable.

Yeah, I was mostly but not entirely annoyed by that first episode, and then the ending hit and I was like, "...Okay, I guess I'll have to watch a second episode to see where it's going at some point." Still haven't gotten around to that yet, but I will eventually.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Blow the Man Down (2019). Low-key thriller about two sisters living in a small east coast fishing town who are trying to figure things out after their mom died prior to the events of the movie. Reminded me a lot of Thoroughbreds (2017), pleasantly so.

(e): This is not the movie thread. Gosh dangit.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Invincible had some nice twists and stuff, which is also why I kept watching it. Though I kinda doubt they can keep up with shocking like that in s2.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 6/10/2021 at 4:39 PM, Hurlsnot said:

Given the month, I think we can all guess what the revelation is in He-Man. :brows: 🏳️‍🌈

He-Man has been already been a gay icon for decades though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

TNG: True Q

Q Qs around while a Q who doesn't know they're a Q struggled with Q-ing. Riker gets Q-napped and Picard gives speeches.

An OK episode.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, Amentep said:

TNG: True Q

Q Qs around while a Q who doesn't know they're a Q struggled with Q-ing. Riker gets Q-napped and Picard gives speeches.

An OK episode.

"OK" feels a little generous for that particular episode...but then again, I rather dislike one-off guest stars whose emotional conflict we're supposed to pretend to care about (...particularly when they're acted as badly as that lady was in that episode).

On 6/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, Lexx said:

Invincible had some nice twists and stuff, which is also why I kept watching it. Though I kinda doubt they can keep up with shocking like that in s2.

Okay, now having watched the rest of Invincible over the last two days (including having gained a massive headache last night), I can now say it's actually surprisingly good. The second half of the season is better than the first half (less bogged down in the occasional silly teenager stuff that didn't feel like it was working very well or a particularly good use of time) and the first half was already pretty good. I usually hate superhero stuff, so it should tell you something that I really liked it. I do think that a second season is probably less likely to be interesting and successful than the first, but it'd be hard not to give them a chance.

Also, it was nice to see (the VA for) Sarevok finally get a part where he isn't cast as just a brain-dead villain like he usually is.

Spoiler

Instead, he got a part where he's *multiple* hilarious and only partially brain-dead villains!

Edited by Bartimaeus

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

"OK" feels a little generous for that particular episode...but then again, I rather dislike one-off guest stars whose emotional conflict we're supposed to pretend to care about (...particularly when they're acted as badly as that lady was in that episode).

It was better than those dreadful kid episodes that blotted last season.

But they don't do a good job developing Amanda as a character, or explaining the Q angle to the story. Arguably q himself is more annoying as well.

But still better than those kid episodes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I started watching Lucifer again, I am on season 1 and previously I only got to episode 3 and then for some reason I stopped watching it ...its fun and entertaining. I wont say excellent but its worthwhile 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton