The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Proved Indy Works Without Harrison Ford (collider.com)

It is a shame it isn't streaming anywhere. Makes me glad I managed to pickup the DVD's  a decade or so back... 

Although much of the series focused on the complicated relationship Indy has with his father, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles’ supporting cast drew less from the previous films and from history itself. Indy’s exploits introduced him to a wide variety of historical figures, including everyone from Theodore Roosevelt and Winston Churchill to Al Capone and Pablo Picasso. If it felt like Indy’s coincidental insertion into virtually every major world event was a history lesson, then that was exactly what George Lucas intended. Lucas envisioned the series as a tool for educators to use in classes, and commissioned a series of companion documentaries to be released alongside the show in order to delve deeper into the historical topics.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

5 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Proved Indy Works Without Harrison Ford (collider.com)

It is a shame it isn't streaming anywhere. Makes me glad I managed to pickup the DVD's  a decade or so back... 

Yes.

Hence my complete infuriation with Indy and the spaceship. Indy is a historical fiction series. Mysticism and myths, relics and treasures. It doesn't need aliens and science fiction. 

I don't know where Indy 5 is going, but I am not confident. 

I watched the pilot for $5.15/hr. Not picking this up is probably the biggest ****up HBO has ever done.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Yes.

Hence my complete infuriation with Indy and the spaceship. Indy is a historical fiction series. Mysticism and myths, relics and treasures. It doesn't need aliens and science fiction. 

I don't know where Indy 5 is going, but I am not confident. 

Indy was an homage to adventure serials of the 30s and 40s. The last Indy movie was intended to be an homage to sci-fi serials, I believe. It wasn't good because it wasn't very well written, not because it went with aliens and science fiction, specifically. Spielberg just got old, perhaps.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think the difference between creators and consumers is that creators often want to do something different at some point. You just want to advance in some way / get away from the old and do something new. Consumers on the other hand just want the same experience. They want to feel the same as the last time and if the new doesn't feel like what they know, then "it's not it anymore."

Honestly I can feel both sides. As a creator myself, after years I just want to throw in some lolz to freshen things up. But as a consumer, I just want to murder whoever ruined my Fallout games.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_of_Easttown

This is an excellent series and highly recommended, its from HBO which is generally a good thing

Its a murder mystery but the characters and their realistic personalities make it absolutely unmissable 📺

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hm, Netflix announcing more casting for the upcoming Sandman adaption...

E2UpL3NWQAcD7A8?format=png&name=medium

• Like 1

I still don't understand the pronoun thing. What exactly does they/them mean? As a non-native english speaker it just breaks my brain.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

55 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I still don't understand the pronoun thing. What exactly does they/them mean? As a non-native english speaker it just breaks my brain.

You can use that in English as a neutral term "When a person plays Oblivion, they damage their psyche".

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

more so, some people don't know how to be interesting, so THEY make some stuff up

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

26 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

more so, some people don't know how to be interesting, so THEY make some stuff up

As are the people that gets their pants in a knot over it.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Probably to highlight that Desire is that androgenous being that represents all sexes at the same time, which adds to the effect of them casting a non-binary actor in the role.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

It is just a gender neutral term. Seems pretty simple.

Considering the german language, I know my fair share of gender related terms. But stuff like "They will go to the backery" for a single person just sounds completely wrong to me. In german you'd probably use "Es geht zum Bäcker" which even sounds devaluing, as it implies you don't adress the person as a person, but a thing.

Anyways. Just saying.

/edit: I just did some googling and in german it's actually "xier" and "xies" ... xier, xieser, xiem, xien, dier, dies, diem, dien ... Probably for the better if I just pretend to have never seen this.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Stop insulting me, thats no way to be my fan :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

Its a good point, I have never thought about it before. I dont think I use neutral terms when I describe things but I can see how you can use " they or them " instead of "I " 

I would typically say ""When a person plays Oblivion, you may damage your psyche" ....maybe that is gender neutral as well? English can be a complicated language 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Confused 1

John Milton 

19 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I think it'd be super confusing to refer to a third person as you/your and I isn't gendered

You see what I mean Shady, English is a confusing language....thanks for confirming it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Milton 

12 hours ago, Lexx said:

the whole he she thing never made sense to begin with

what is the point other than play some pronoun game in certain genre of novel and movie

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Technically, 3rd person english forms do include a non gendered personal pronoun option as alternatives to he/ she/ (it)- 'one'. Semi archaic now though.

Look at you, you little English grammar nerd :thumbsup:

If you and I were living in the same city we would be a relationship, I know we would be happy and content together 💞

John Milton 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nevers

Okay guys  stop what you doing  immediately and if you havent already done it you MUST watch this series ...nothing else matters !!!!

I have only watched the first 2 episodes but its got everything I love. Hot women, adult themes, brilliant and interesting baddies, fascinating narrative, super power abilities and supernatural tired into Victoria era UK  timeline ....like Penny Dreadful

The plot from a high level is about a metaphysical event that leads to people, mostly women but not only, being " touched " which means they have various powers, insights and degrees of magic. Its from HBO so its an adult series which I appreciate :thumbsup: 

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Is that yet another superhero show?

Not really, its much more complex and nuanced than that. For example the source and reason why people start gaining magic and abilities is unique and manifests itself in people in such unique ways and some the people follow the dark side so its really interesting ....give it a try and dont get put off in the first 20 minutes :thumbsup:

John Milton