The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

I liked Newsradio in spite of Andy D.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am gonna guess majestic is young. have yet to watch the mark v. jay video, but one assumes andy d!ck is relevant 'cause o' the voyager episode? am gonna admit we kinda liked that episode. other than news radio, which ran from the mid to late 90s, and the aforementioned voyager role, am trying to think o' anything we liked more because of andy d!ck and am coming up with zero titles. 

we were a big fan o' news radio.

HA! Good Fun!

While I'm probably a good chunk younger than you are, I'm not that young... but I only know Andy D!ck from that Voyager episode where he played the EMH Mk. II and just assumed he was a random actor, not a guest star, until Rich asked which famous comedian guest starred as EMH Mk. II on Voyager.

It's a combination of not really liking most comedy and not being from the US. I've seen Zoolander but can't remember his part, but that's pretty much it.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I liked Newsradio in spite of Andy D.

that is fair. matthew were s'posed to be awkward and unlikable, but we were pleasant surprised by how the show somehow managed to make the character sympathetic in rare moments-- we gotta give some credit to andy d!ck for that. visual gag and falling stuff rare makes us laugh, but we nevertheless did laugh at andy d!ick on news radio.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rewatched Hachi A Dogs Tale. Cried like a baby again.  Can't help it.

Now rewatching IP Man.  I think I remember liking it but I can barely remember now so thought I'd look at it again.  😄

Next morning edit:  Yup, IP Man is great.  Not just the fun choreographed fight scenes, but overall is a pretty good genre movie. I haven't watched the sequels. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished Love, Death & Robots vol.2. While vol.1 remains my favorite media produced by Netflix, vol.2 is merely interesting. There are 8 episodes instead of 18, the animation is less varied and some of it is of lower quality. The story is ok at best, they dialed down on the intensity and weirdness. All in all, in my opinion, a lesser successor of the extraordinary original.

Guess the writing was on the wall when they brought in Jennifer Yuh Nelson to dial down the series.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

HBO Max - "Those Who Wish Me Dead"

...well, that's a stellar cast.  I had to look up a couple of the "I know that face" folk but yeah, decent acting choices.  Film kind of harkens back to 70's/80's and early 90's thriller/action I suppose.  Boy on the run from assassins, forest fire backdrop, danger will robinson. I could've done without seeing Jolie's PTSD flashback bits over and over in the first 30 minutes, I got the point the first time. The young boy actor does well/isn't annoying. Jolie is Jolie. Medina Senghore as Jon Bernthal's wife is the standout in some ways.  Anyway, a tad above average for such but not outstanding, entertaining enough while exercycling.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

49 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Huh, Shades of Gray isn't the greatest TNG episode? 

Clearly not, that distinction belongs to Code of Honor.

edit:

I know I've called Shades of Gray the worst TNG episode on this forum, this is just good fun. Before someone goes digging up my old posts. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2

TNG: Realm of Fear 

I remembered this one. Fun Barclay episode.  Nice, solid, fun story.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 5/14/2021 at 12:06 PM, Sarex said:

Finished Love, Death & Robots vol.2. While vol.1 remains my favorite media produced by Netflix, vol.2 is merely interesting. There are 8 episodes instead of 18, the animation is less varied and some of it is of lower quality. The story is ok at best, they dialed down on the intensity and weirdness. All in all, in my opinion, a lesser successor of the extraordinary original.

Guess the writing was on the wall when they brought in Jennifer Yuh Nelson to dial down the series.

Finished it right now. It was ok. The 8 episodes thing was a bit of a bummer for sure. The episodes itself.. well, at least there was not another "few fighting against waves of enemies"-story again.

Not sure what to think of the 8 episodes other than "it was ok" .. It didn't really make me think about stuff, I guess. 2 episodes with failing autonomous robots .. could probably have cut one of them.

The one with the whales is probably the best episode.

/Edit: Kinda feels like season 2 was supposed to have 16 episodes, but they decided to split it up into Vol. 2 and 3 for some reason.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Finished it right now. It was ok. The 8 episodes thing was a bit of a bummer for sure. The episodes itself.. well, at least there was not another "few fighting against waves of enemies"-story again.

Not sure what to think of the 8 episodes other than "it was ok" .. It didn't really make me think about stuff, I guess. 2 episodes with failing autonomous robots .. could probably have cut one of them.

The one with the whales is probably the best episode.

/Edit: Kinda feels like season 2 was supposed to have 16 episodes, but they decided to split it up into Vol. 2 and 3 for some reason.

Ice, Pop Squad and the Christmas story were the best of the bunch for me.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that's the best ones. Everything else is pretty much forgettable.

The one with the giant was interesting too, but it just kinda ... ended in nothing.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

The one with the giant was interesting too, but it just kinda ... ended in nothing.

I didn't get that one at all, maybe I'm just too stupid for it.

Something about life and meaning of things and stuff. But it felt completely unbelievable to me, due to how the people were behaving. It just felt so pointless in the end.

/Edit: I've cautiously read some comments about it now, and I guess the constent is that Vol. 2 feels watered down and not as rough and "adulty" than the first season has been. It's like it became family-tv friendly?

Edited by Lexx

I also watched the LD&R Vol. 2.  Or tried to, I kept struggling to stay awake, honestly.  😛 None of the episodes gave me any sort of "wtf" or moments that make you go "hmmmmm." (good or bad) They were all just bland.  I wasn't looking specifically for bizarre violence/titillation or weirdness simply for the sake of weirdness, if that makes sense, but none of the eight minisodes were compelling or intriguing.  Mind, it's not that they were bad or anything ... but if something is going to be attention grabbing/memorable in 10 minutes, imo it has to have something that grabs your brain or eyes and shakes up expectations a little bit.

Technically the animation of some was very well done.  I did like the one re: the home robot vacuum unit because it made me humorously snort a bit.  The one with the malfunctioning spaceship/home robot was ok but felt too random/pointless (might be a nice intro to a full length movie tho). The "giant on the beach" one was ... well I kept waiting for something interesting to occur but it never does so it just became a dull narration of ... humanities sometimes inhumane/uncaring/forgetful nature? I'm not sure?

It's not like I loved all episodes from Vol1 equally -  for me Vol1 was fairly uneven overall - but Vol1 did have some that were quite interesting/creative/fun or at least a 'wtf am I seeing' compelling kind of thing going on that Vol2 lacks.  Perhaps having only 8 episodes is just too limiting too, because everyone has different tastes (I didn't care at all about the "whales" one, for example) and far fewer shorts = fewer chances that at least a few or several of them will hit for you personally, leading to a better overall impression.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching as usual some great shows like a Penny Dreadful again, Your Honor, Clarice ( spinoff of Silence of the Lambs), Twilight Zone, FBI and Law & Order SVU 

Lots to keep me entertained 📺

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 5/14/2021 at 5:06 AM, Sarex said:

Two episodes in and so far one hit and one miss.

The hit was Ice. It may not be original (almost nothing is tbh) but it felt authentic, if that makes sense. The animation was ****ing stellar, it reminded me of the Zima Blue episode from s1 which was one of my favorites. Very impressive use of shading and the contrast between most of the animation and the whales was really cool to see.

The miss was the customer service one with the old folks. It really felt like padding and the animation was atrocious to boot, especially the tiny hands.

Not sure why you would see s1 and think "this needs to be toned down", it mostly worked because it could be very weird. Netflix strikes again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Two episodes in and so far one hit and one miss.

The hit was Ice. It may not be original (almost nothing is tbh) but it felt authentic, if that makes sense. The animation was ****ing stellar, it reminded me of the Zima Blue episode from s1 which was one of my favorites. Very impressive use of shading and the contrast between most of the animation and the whales was really cool to see.

The miss was the customer service one with the old folks. It really felt like padding and the animation was atrocious to boot, especially the tiny hands.

Not sure why you would see s1 and think "this needs to be toned down", it mostly worked because it could be very weird. Netflix strikes again.

Allegedly it was too sexist and too much boobs...

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

Allegedly it was too sexist and too much boobs...

Really? One thing I liked about s1 was the equal opportunity nudity instead of having all the fellas be eunuchs. I guess shooting kids is cool but b00bs is too much for Netflix.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Really? One thing I liked about s1 was the equal opportunity nudity instead of having all the fellas be eunuchs. I guess shooting kids is cool but b00bs is too much for Netflix.

How very American of Netflix, then. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1