The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

mare of easttown

the mystery aspects is solid and the show is taking time to develop characters and subplots.

pains us to say, kate winslet is, at best, mediocre in this. good acting should look effortless even if it ain't. winslet reminds you she is acting the part o' a small-town south east pennsylvania cop in every scene. is only two episodes, so maybe winslet hits her stride after exhausting needed emmy moment opportunities? we typical like winslet, so has been disappointing as near everybody else is doing better, particular jean smart but also the numerous young actors.

wanted to like this and we will continue to watch, but am surprised by how much am enduring winslet screen time.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*watches The Critical Drinker's video on It:Chapter 2* - Wait...how did I not realize that the actor playing Mike Hanlon was the "I'm on a horse" Old Spice ad guy? He looks so different without the short/trim beard/stache.  Now I have to rewatch that movie a bit.

Also:  The Way of the Househusband (anime based on manga, unread by me, Netlifx) - Kenjiro Tsuda is the lead VA?  I could listen to his voice all day.  It's more of a cheap motion comic (still frame slides, altho their lips do move, sometimes) vs. full animation, which is weird and might be very off-putting. But if you get past that, I found it silly/OTP and entertaining. Plus it's very short, and there's a cat.   :*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

World of Darkness universe coming to big and small screens | GamesRadar+

World of Darkness, the tabletop gaming universe that gave us Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse, is being adapted for movie and TV projects.

The Hollywood Reporter revealed that game publisher Paradox has partnered with married writer-producers Eric Heisserer and Christine Boylan and production company Hivemind.

"The legacy of these stories is way ahead of its time, inviting issues and perspectives other games ignored...This feels like the next step for the genre," Heisserer said in a statement.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 5/1/2021 at 8:05 AM, Raithe said:

I'm sure I once saw a TV series called Kindred (iirc). I kept thinking the old VMBL game was based on the same setting. The clans sure had similar names, so I'm curious to see what they would do with something made this side of the millennia (the old series was from the 90's).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 4/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, Amentep said:

vid

can't watch it. is clear these folks don't understand the difference 'tween antlers and horns. suspension of disbelief is blown rendering sweet tooth unwatchable.

kidding, but it does look kinda silly and am admitted exhausted by the fantasy trope o' replacing rl racism with far less subtle bigotry towards elves or faeries or kids with antlers. 

if it doesn't look better than star trek, then am not seeing the point... which is most assured not an antler pun. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'm sure I once saw a TV series called Kindred (iirc). I kept thinking the old VMBL game was based on the same setting. The clans sure had similar names, so I'm curious to see what they would do with something made this side of the millennia (the old series was from the 90's).

You did. They made about 8 episodes of the show back in.. I think it was '96-'97 or so?  But the main lead died in an accident, so they ended up scrapping the whole thing rather than re-cast. It had a weak pilot episode, but apparently picked up in quality for the few episodes that did get shot and shown.

• Like 1

Sweet Tooth reminded me that goblinization day was just a couple of days ago. Though they just spontaneously changed we should have had elves and dwarves being born to human parents for about a decade now. There was also a virus that killed a bunch of people.

Now that's a Netflix series I want.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

16 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Sweet Tooth reminded me that goblinization day was just a couple of days ago. Though they just spontaneously changed we should have had elves and dwarves being born to human parents for about a decade now. There was also a virus that killed a bunch of people.

Now that's a Netflix series I want.

On one hand a Shadowrun show could be good, on the other hand it could get ****ed up and be on the same tier as Discovery.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thanks for mentioning that, now I'm drinking.

Speaking of nuTrek, John de Lancie let it slip that Picard is filming seasons 2 and 3 together. It's been rumored that they were going to do that but since season 3 hasn't been officially okayed it makes me wonder since rumors also say that Picard is only going to be 3 seasons in total. Hopefully they actually manage to plan the story out this time.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Sad 1

Hopefully the characters bicker amongst themselves and insult each others' mothers.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This Sat. it was pizza while watching "Unhinged", since it seems to have become an Amazon Prime freebie.

I was expecting an older style thriller/suspense in the Falling Down sort of vein, except with less social issue posturing.  What you get is a completely over the top violence/action film that starts to border on comedy horror cheese.  Mr. Crowe seems to be taking his role very seriously but it's just all so non-stop OTP with nary a breather you start chuckling.  Wouldn't have been worth *paying* for, but I didn't dislike it - if ya have nothing better to do it's only 90 minutes and it goes well with pizza.  Most people will likely have something better to do, tho.   :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

TNG Episode: The Nth Degree.

A reminder that Dwight Schultz is a very capable actor. Portraying Lt. Barclay with that slight social awkwardness, the bad and uncomfortable acting as part of his attempts at personal growth.. Followed by confidence and capability after having his brain tweaked by an alien probe. Emotive acting that moves the audience, making a pass at Troi (a good one), and then the aftermath. The feeling "smaller" after having understood so much, the melancholy of it all.

• Like 2

TNG - Time's Arrow

I think this two-part episode is kind of half baked.

• Is the episode about aliens killing people in the past or the cast meeting Sam Clemmons?
  • Where is Clemmons' wife?
  • Clemmons was majorly in debt at this time and churning out writing and criticism to stay afloat,  yet none of that seems to matter to tge story. 
  • Why does the crew just accept they can't help the aliens because they tell them they can't? How much damage could they continue to do without the serpent staff?
  • Data used gambling to get money in the past, but Picard doesn't (since he has no money to pay rent) so where do the period costumes come from?
  • Riker's and Crusher's cover story makes sense to give them access - but how are Jordi and Troi allowed free reign in the hospital?
  • Clemmons was pro-imperialism until about 1899, so his expectation and dismay over the Enterprise being  conquering vessel doesn't fit.
  • Data's death as represented by the head from ep 1 is handwaved away in ep 2 when damage and time are ignored to make Data whole again.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 5/9/2021 at 9:07 AM, Amentep said:

Data used gambling to get money in the past, but Picard doesn't (since he has no money to pay rent) so where do the period costumes come from?

Maybe they pulled a Kirk ("borrowing" clothes from clotheslines) more successfully than Kirk.

• Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I didn't know some of the TOS questions and I think one of the Voyager ones.

I had no idea who Andi D*ck is. Looking at his IMDB page, I still don't. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

23 minutes ago, majestic said:

I had no idea who Andi D*ck is. Looking at his IMDB page, I still don't. :p

He's supposedly a bastard of a person, especially when intoxicated, which he seems to always be

Spoiler

You're telling me you haven't seen that classic?

• Gasp! 1

am gonna guess majestic is young. have yet to watch the mark v. jay video, but one assumes andy d!ck is relevant 'cause o' the voyager episode? am gonna admit we kinda liked that episode. other than news radio, which ran from the mid to late 90s, and the aforementioned voyager role, am trying to think o' anything we liked more because of andy d!ck and am coming up with zero titles. 

we were a big fan o' news radio.

HA! Good Fun!