The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

Falcon and Winter Söldner. Finally all caught up. I feel like Marvel always makes sure to make revolutionary villains do something irredeemably evil to undercut them.

anyone else think Emily VanCamp might be the Power Broker? Also, new Cap doesn't seem to have been able to pass a psych exam as obvious PTSD is obvious.

Edited by ShadySands
I can't into umlauts
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

"The Next Phase" TNG. Good straightforward ST episode. We've seen this type of story before, but Michelle Forbes' Ro and LeVar Burton's La Forge make the episode a lot of fun.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watched a show called the Baker and the Beauty on Netflix. It's light standard rom-com fare if you're into to that and if you're not then it's an easy skip. We've also been slowly making our way through Better than Us which is also on Netflix. It's a Russian show about robots that's really, really heavy on the drama.

17 hours ago, Amentep said:

"The Next Phase" TNG. Good straightforward ST episode. We've seen this type of story before, but Michelle Forbes' Ro and LeVar Burton's La Forge make the episode a lot of fun.

thought she were vast underutilized in bsg, which were a shame 'cause she did a good job. am knowing three episodes is quite a bit, particularly by 2021 standards with 8 episode seasons being more and more common for streaming offerings, but there were much potential from the admiral cain character if it had been developed less rushed which we cannot help but believe woulda' made the show better... at a time when the series were still good. 

bring up bsg cain 'cause more than once it seemed like trek wanted to do more with ro, but never quite knew where she might fit. she were original supposed to be sisko's first officer for ds9, yes? gonna admit kira (more specific, actress nana visitor) were not our favorite ds9 character, so...

much different role for forbes in the killing. made us feel bad she were clear no longer being considered for genuine lead roles in spite o' fact she were more than capable. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Caught the pilot of The Nevers.

Slow opening, but it certainly builds well by the end of it. Establishing the elements of London of that age, the strange mystery of something causing a random assortment of women across all social classes to develop strange "afflictions" and powers. Throw in the hint of industrial revolution and steam punk, boobs by the half hour mark, grisly murders, multiple possible secretive groups with agendas, and a night at the opera.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

bring up bsg cain 'cause more than once it seemed like trek wanted to do more with ro, but never quite knew where she might fit. she were original supposed to be sisko's first officer for ds9, yes? gonna admit kira (more specific, actress nana visitor) were not our favorite ds9 character, so...

Yep, the plan was for her to have that role but she was supposedly not all that interested. I read somewhere that they kept reducing the role to try to make it work for her but in the end they just gave up and went with someone else (Visitor) playing a new character (Kira).

Another interesting casting story was that they originally wanted Famke Janssen for Dax and even though she ultimately turned the role down they ended up using her spots from The Perfect Mate in the Trill redesign.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Slow opening, but it certainly builds well by the end of it. Establishing the elements of London of that age, the strange mystery of something causing a random assortment of women across all social classes to develop strange "afflictions" and powers. Throw in the hint of industrial revolution and steam punk, boobs by the half hour mark, grisly murders, multiple possible secretive groups with agendas, and a night at the opera.

I enjoyed it, but... it's extremely obvious that it's a Joss Whedon title, close to the point of being distracting/ outright parody when it comes to dialogue (and, of course, the superhero landing).

Am I the only one who doesn't like Joss Whedon stuff anymore? He was great 20 years ago, but now whenever I see something from him it just feels like... same old, same old?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 hours ago, Raithe said:

always have trouble with victorian british accent

hope this one is easier to understand

7 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

Don't worry. They add in a few Victorian Irish accents as well. ;)

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Joss Whedon stuff anymore? He was great 20 years ago, but now whenever I see something from him it just feels like... same old, same old?

Dunno, obviously the jury is very much still out for The Nevers so far as I'm concerned but I may end up liking it. The overt Whedon style is definitely a negative so far though. I watched Buffy and Angel fairly recently, and enjoyed them as much as ever, but...

The Nevers feels really derivative, but derivative of stuff I generally like so I'm willing to give it a go. Not just previous Whedon stuff either as the setting and style feels Penny Dreadfulesque too (and the lead looks a decent bit like Eva Green).

(I kind of blame video games to an extent for a certain amount of Whedon fatigue. Bioware in particular but many others too seem obsessed with a bunch of Whedon type tropes like everyone being a pithy one liner machine firing witty repartée at each other in a way that real people simply don't do. I rather liked the latinesque dialogue structure in Spartacus (TV) for example, but I'd rapidly get sick of it if every second show or game seemed to use it)

Edited by Zoraptor

40 Years Ago: Buck Rogers Goes Out Fighting (ultimateclassicrock.com)

The “difficult second season” issue faced by science-fiction shows in particular is usually caused by the same two issues. The network receives a better (i.e., more profitable) response from the initial run than it expected, but, knowing nothing about the genre, it fails to understand why. For the second season, it tries to refocus the show toward a mainstream audience, losing the sci-fi fans in the process. But the budget is often cut as a way of hedging its bet.

The case of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century isn’t the same but the effect was: Viewers lost interest, and the show was canceled without fanfare or finale. The second season was actually an example of star Gil Gerard beginning to get his own way, up to a point.

Edited by Raithe

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

https://youtu.be/Gj2iCJkp6Ko

been waiting for this far too long

Going to binge-watch the hell out of it. But ... may 2022? :((((((

/Edit: Oh lol, Volume 3 in 2022. Volume 2 next month.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Is the robot show the one where they shot Dracula's **** off? If so I'm in.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

am feeling old.

thanks.

HA! Good Fun!

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Weirdly, I started re-watching the Buck Rogers series not really thinking about the age of the show...but 40 years on, I'm still dreading season 2.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

12 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

Turn on english subtitles. Get them from the internet if whatever you watch doesn't come with any. It's a twofer deal, you learn more of English's at times truly inane spelling and you get more easily used to the accents when you know what it's supposed to mean.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Finnish crime/detective series:  Bordertown, via Netflix.

I initially thought it would be in the crime-a-season format but what it actually does is spend two or three episodes per crime (10-11 eps. per season).  I rather like that format. Not too short, not too drawn out for each one.  Not a flashy series, which I like.  Main character is kind of eccentric but I'm not sure in what way.  Not socially attentive/personable, socially awkward, "lost in his own head-space" most of the time, but not purposefully mean/arrogant ala Dr. House or modern Sherlock. 

Has that typical grey/dreariness and deliberate pacing to everything but the lead actor is very interesting, imo, main reason to watch. His daughter, wife, and their family dynamic are ok too, although  I could use a little less of the human-drama bits (just me, I prefer the crime/mystery solving) but so far I'm liking it a fair bit.  Finished first season, there's currently 3 seasons on Netflix.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wait, there's going to be a new CSI:Vegas sequel/series?  Even with the original being one of my fave crime shows (until the last 2-3 seasons maybe) and having Gil Grissom back, I have to say ...  whyyyyyyy.

Also sorta related:  I saw some old clip of Alien: Resurrection and suddenly realized the hotshot gun dude of the mercenary group was Gary Dourdan (Warwick).  The movie was before CSI, ofc, and I guess that movie was so forgettable I never had a "where have I seen that guy before" moment when I saw CSI.  It almost makes me want to rewatch that turd of a movie. Almost.

ca9adc18ffb329552dd198e926e4a49e.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

my pleasure!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"