The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

On 4/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, ShadySands said:

I just wanted to see a movie where the superhero's "powers" were faith and prayer as opposed to traditional superhero powers. I'm also curious as to how it would play out because most Christian movies I've seen are beyond insultingly terrible. I also feel like religion really needs a win right now.

Thats a good idea Shady, why not a series about people with superhero powers that comes from faith related sources  ?

I believe their would be an appetite for it but who would be the bad guys in this narrative ? Would it be supernatural foes or the global war on  extremist groups ?

• Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 4/11/2021 at 4:19 AM, ShadySands said:

I just wanted to see a movie where the superhero's "powers" were faith and prayer as opposed to traditional superhero powers. I'm also curious as to how it would play out because most Christian movies I've seen are beyond insultingly terrible. I also feel like religion really needs a win right now.

the book of eli maybe

And I'm here like, I just want movies that aren't superhero stuff anymore. 😄

Like, seriously. I can't anymore. I don't want to see superhero movies and tv shows and anything related to them. Especially because most of that stuff is just always the same now.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

9 minutes ago, Lexx said:

And I'm here like, I just want movies that aren't superhero stuff anymore. 😄

Like, seriously. I can't anymore. I don't want to see superhero movies and tv shows and anything related to them. Especially because most of that stuff is just always the same now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Nun_(TV_series)

I was thinking about series I have watched that have faith related characters with superpowers and Warrior Nun comes to mind, I enjoyed it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched the first two episodes of Warrior Nun. It's ... ok, I guess? But still feels like I've seen it all before.

Maybe I'm watching too many tv shows.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

50 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Watched the first two episodes of Warrior Nun. It's ... ok, I guess? But still feels like I've seen it all before.

Maybe I'm watching too many tv shows.

No you right, it is kind of  a cliché ....but lets be honest we are so  spoilt by abundance when it comes to themes and narratives  its going to be hard to create any genre  or new series that most of us wont recognize in some way or another 

But for me I find I still enjoy certain genres and watch any TV series that are follow those themes 

John Milton 

You know, it made me think about hijabs, because the headdress of our christian nuns are actually kinda similar, yet nobody complains about them.

I totally forgot about this stuff, but I just remembered that my grandma (a teacher) was occasionally at a school for ... well ... orphans and stuff. She was closely tied to the church, thus when I was very young, I also had quite some contact with nuns. Outside of that I actually don't remember much ... it's been too many years since. I think it always felt a bit weird to me.

Guess I was never really open for all this god stuff. The other kids around there felt odd to me. As a child ofc I wasn't really thinking about any of this. It was just ... odd.

Edited by Lexx

I think Warrior Nun is a slightly odd one. The first half of the season it feels like it's borrowed structural elements from all sorts of other shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc. But then it all kind of gels into its own thing for the last half of the season.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 4/10/2021 at 1:19 PM, ShadySands said:

first season o' daredevil did a good job o' making matt murdock's faith central to the story and father lantom got some o' the best dialogue in the show. 

is tough to do faith and sooperpowers. overt expressions o' god's approval is incompatible with faith.

however, if it makes you feel better...

"The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision." --j.r.r. tolkien

all those folks who loathe religion but adore lotr were covert indoctrinated by tolkien.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 4/12/2021 at 4:13 AM, BruceVC said:

Thats a good idea Shady, why not a series about people with superhero powers that comes from faith related sources  ?

I believe their would be an appetite for it but who would be the bad guys in this narrative ? Would it be supernatural foes or the global war on  extremist groups ?

Well, one possibility is that one religion's hero is another's villain. There could be multiple groups and each one considers themselves the heroes and the others villains or at least something in between.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

3 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Well, one possibility is that one religion's hero is another's villain. There could be multiple groups and each one considers themselves the heroes and the others villains or at least something in between.

Thats an interesting idea and also could create a really unique narrative.

Lets unpack your idea a little, what about different groups of people who have their own gods who  in turn they grant their followers different powers but unlike American Gods these are humans and can be killed

But each of these groups of people would live in  different parts of the world and normally only come into conflict with each other when countries go to war with each other like WW1

So the series would be about an impending global event that was coming....maybe  another world war or something similar but this event that was coming was going to be cataclysmic to the world and could lead to whole continents being destroyed and billions of people being wiped out so each country or region would have its loyal superheroes that have one main objective....they want to ensure their own citizens survive what is coming

So imagine all the nuance and complexity you could create, you could have superheroes that might have been friends at war with each other and then the various gods empowering their supporters so they will survive 

I am not sure if you read comics or use to ,  but I am sure you have heard of 2000AD and the likes of Judge Dredd. Anyway there was a spin0ff series of comics from the same company that created 2000 AD called Crisis and they had a storyline called the New Statesmen which was similar to what we discussing but slightly different around how people became superheroes ....if you havent  read the comics below you must !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Statesmen

• Like 1

John Milton 

Tried to watch a 10ep serial killer crime drama called Reckoning on Netflix.

It's more  human character drama than crime, in a way.  Acting was generally good all around but ... the show is so depressing and dreary. Color wise (most of the time), character wise, atmosphere.  Can't say I *like*, let alone want to root for anyone - cops, children, wives/mothers, the criminal.  After three episodes I was starting to feel a little depressed so I turned it off. 😋

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I guess its good for the people who liked his Dawn of the Dead remake...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

16 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Thats an interesting idea and also could create a really unique narrative.

Lets unpack your idea a little, what about different groups of people who have their own gods who  in turn they grant their followers different powers but unlike American Gods these are humans and can be killed

But each of these groups of people would live in  different parts of the world and normally only come into conflict with each other when countries go to war with each other like WW1

So the series would be about an impending global event that was coming....maybe  another world war or something similar but this event that was coming was going to be cataclysmic to the world and could lead to whole continents being destroyed and billions of people being wiped out so each country or region would have its loyal superheroes that have one main objective....they want to ensure their own citizens survive what is coming

So imagine all the nuance and complexity you could create, you could have superheroes that might have been friends at war with each other and then the various gods empowering their supporters so they will survive 

I am not sure if you read comics or use to ,  but I am sure you have heard of 2000AD and the likes of Judge Dredd. Anyway there was a spin0ff series of comics from the same company that created 2000 AD called Crisis and they had a storyline called the New Statesmen which was similar to what we discussing but slightly different around how people became superheroes ....if you havent  read the comics below you must !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Statesmen

Interesting. One aspect more realistic that super hero stories should have is different groups in different countries. Depending on how easy it is to find/create them, every nation would want their own. It is like nukes, but they could appear by themselves (mutants for example), ready to be recruited. The consequences of that are more or less what you described.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Zack Snyder + zombies? That's a double no from me.

Slow mo zombies will be something to behold.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That Army of Dead trailer:

"Hiroyuki Sanada!"
"Gambler! Good song!"
...*eh, not as brain-dead as usual (?) zombies...well, at least it's not superheroes." :shifty:
..."...zombie tiger. That's crossing the line." -  HAHAHAHA.

Well, it's on Netflix, so I'll at least try to watch it, probably.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Continued with Warrior Nun. I'm in episode 5 or 6, and it is starting to get a bit cringe for me. I don't know... so far I just keep watching, because I have nothing else. But a part of me just wants to stop... 😄

You made it further than I did. I was done after the first episode.

We watched Legally Blonde on Netflix. My wife hadn't seen it in a long time and I hadn't either but had fond memories for some reason. I still like it way too much.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

You made it further than I did. I was done after the first episode.

We watched Legally Blonde on Netflix. My wife hadn't seen it in a long time and I hadn't either but had fond memories for some reason. I still like it way too much for some reason.

That reason is because it is a fantastic movie.

• Like 1