The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

Been enjoying Resident Alien. It's quirky and amusing.

Not sure whether I like Debris yet, but I'll keep watching.

The Gloaming is one creepy series, but it has me hooked.

Clarice is better than I was expecting.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This might be the single most generic superhero show/movie I've ever seen, at least going by that trailer.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 4/7/2021 at 11:09 AM, Hurlsnot said:

My daughter was watching Labyrinth yesterday and asked why they didn't make any more movies in the setting. I tried to explain to her that Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal for some reason just didn't do well at the box office. It is hard to explain when we live in a world where basically every kids movie is a massive hit. Poor Jim Henson.

Both of those are absolutely great. I guess in the 80s people just had awful taste.

6 hours ago, Keyrock said:

This might be the single most generic superhero show/movie I've ever seen, at least going by that trailer.

It's Mark Millar, so it's just going to be superheroes who curse and have the secks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That Jupiter's Legacy trailer: 

--first several seconds made me think long-haired fantasy version of The Mummy, for some reason.
--The boiled down plot summary sorta sounds like Watchmen, but in more conventional superhero comic fashion.  I think there was another one on Netflix that was more teen oriented with a similar device (parent superheros and kids), too.
--There are so many superhero (for kids, for adults, for teens) series on Netflix now that I wish I could block the word superhero from any of their rec. list.
--I can still like superhero stuff, btw.  Just not 98% of what they keep coming out with these days. 
--Edit: I'd watch Loki series if it was on Netflix.  But that's because Loki is hilarious and I'd be hoping he'd remain hilarious in the series.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just now, ShadySands said:

I'm kinda sad it isn't a Christian superhero movie

You have the Snyder cut for that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

--There are so many superhero (for kids, for adults, for teens) series on Netflix now that I wish I could block the word superhero from any of their rec. list.

--I can still like superhero stuff, btw.  Just not 98% of what they keep coming out with these days.

Don't give up. There is a good one coming.

Seriously now, Invincible is pretty good. The end of episode 1 (or was it 2?) really surprised me. Expect plenty of violence.

sign.jpg

On 4/7/2021 at 12:09 PM, Hurlsnot said:

My daughter was watching Labyrinth yesterday and asked why they didn't make any more movies in the setting. I tried to explain to her that Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal for some reason just didn't do well at the box office. It is hard to explain when we live in a world where basically every kids movie is a massive hit. Poor Jim Henson.

Fantasy and sci-fi movies were, mostly, ignored. So many flopped, with some gaining cult status later. 

I'm glad I saw Labyrinth in the theater as I missed the Dark Crystal when it came out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Between covid delays etc. and my continual dislike for most current film/tv popular trends (in general, not just generic superhero, haha) I've just been rewatching past films or tv instead.  It's interesting to note which ones hold up for me over time, whether it's been just a few years or a few+ decades.

Apparently for me, westerns or at least stuff that has a kind of western "flavor" hold up very well. Maybe it's the themes that tend to be in such that I like.  Not sure.

Also, Kevin Costner has a very limited acting range, imo, but he does western-flavored characters so well. He's the lead or co-lead in so many of the more "modern"  westerns that I've enjoyed.  I'd include his father-Kent role in there, too.  :lol: 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I should probably clarify that when I say Western I don't mean John Wayne or anything too similar to his style of movies, which for me were utter bores.  In terms of older stuff Treasure of the Sierra Madre and High Noon would be examples.  After that it was mostly from the 60's/70's and 80's/90's.

Western Adventure and Western Action might be better categories. 

Clint Eastwood, obviously, Silverado, Lonesome Dove mini-series  (although that feels a bit dated now, outside of Jones and Duvall's excellent performances), Open Range more recently.  I liked Dances with Wolves a lot when I saw it in theater but for me it doesn't hold up for many rewatches.  I loved the black and white Lone Ranger series in reruns when I was a kid, silly as it was on hindsight.

Star Wars was often called a western in space, and imo it's rather true.  Star Trek (original series at least), same. Firefly obviously takes a lot of Western cues.  There's a frontier flavor, certain themes, sometimes the white hat and the black hat, justice/revenge, that I guess I typically find entertaining or compelling.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

am suspecting most o' the modern westerns is inspired by a handful o' older westerns which were less silly and perhaps a bit more dreary. high noon, the searchers and the wild bunch is among our favorite westerns o' all time.  am s'posing wild bunch could be deemed silly as it has tarantino levels o' the ultra violence but if it were campy it weren't meant to be so.

the more silly westerns is still being made today, but they ain't set in the old west. superhero films and action movies owe much o' their genesis to the old less dour westerns with impossible characters (heroes and anti-heroes) doing the improbable as they confront a cartoony villain who is getting his/her comeuppance at the climax o' the film.

actors and directors is fans o' the dreary old westerns, so they wanna be part o' making more such films. 

high noon in space... sans grace kelly.

am recalling once having read that every american actor wants to do at least one western and every english actor wants to be in a gangster film.  inspired by the debate in the political thread, am not sure where that leaves scotsmen.  the thing is, am thinking the american actors who wanna do westerns is less interested in doing a rio bravo reboot.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

confront a cartoony villain who is getting his/her comeuppance at the climax o' the film.

This basically describes every James Bond movie (that I've seen anyway).  :lol:

I'm not sure I've ever seen all of the Wild Bunch.  I may have tried when I was younger but I don't recall.
The Searchers was ok, probably one of the few Wayne movies I tried that I actually finished. But I have this tendency to dislike rescue-children plots.  I didn't like that remake very much. I do/can understand why Wayne was considered such an icon - those movies just aren't for me tho.

I'm kinda weird because there are some movies that feel like Westerns to me even tho they aren't.  Like the more recent Coster/Hallerson's The Highwaymen (period based on true crime). Don't ask me why, I don't know and I'm sure it's not logical. Maybe it's just the character attitudes.

Edited by LadyCrimson

They're both pretty good, imo. Sam Pekinpah, director of The Wild Bunch was an interesting director with a number of controversial films under his belt. Outland has Connery and Boyle and a great part for Frances Sternhagen.

One of my favorite more traditional Hollywood westerns is THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) with Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, Chuck Conners and Burl Ives.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

You could try Bells of Innocence, it doesn't have a traditional super hero, but something much better. Chuck Norris! ;)

peter jackson film btw.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

You could try Bells of Innocence, it doesn't have a traditional super hero, but something much better. Chuck Norris! ;)

I just wanted to see a movie where the superhero's "powers" were faith and prayer as opposed to traditional superhero powers. I'm also curious as to how it would play out because most Christian movies I've seen are beyond insultingly terrible. I also feel like religion really needs a win right now.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

TNG "I, Borg".  Good episode overall, I remember liking it when it originally aired, and I think it mostly holds up. 

Seems weird to me the Enterprise would have the latitude to make and act on their original plan without Starfleet approval.

• Like 2

Rented Monster Hunter movie for six bucks.  I probably would've gotten more price satisfaction from a cheapish grocery deli sandwich.  That said, you know what you're getting, really, with this kind of movie (well, if you know who the star/director are anyway) ... and the very start and the last 1/3 was silly fun, I wanted more of that.  The section with only Mila and Jaa and desert, while not bad, simply went on too long. Plus it felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be - horror/almost alien, or "monster", or fantasy, or superhero, or ...

I'd say it's a $3 rental, not a $6 one.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson